Advertisement

Gotta Get Back, Back To The Past: Samurai Jack #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:35 pm

The stoic samurai slashes onto the stands.

To quote the not late, not that great, Phil Collins, “I’ve been waiting for this moment all my life. Oh lord.” Nearly 10 years after the show left the airwaves, Samurai Jack #1 slashes its way onto the stands, written by Jim Zub with art by Andy Suriano.

Samurai Jack is the dystopian/cyberpunk/science fiction/martial arts brainchild of Genndy Tartakovsky. Jack is a prince in Feudal Japan whose father’s empire is overtaken by Aku, the shape-shifting demon. After using his father’s katana to nearly defeat Aku, Aku sends Jack into the future through a time portal, planning on dealing with him later. We follow Jack’s adventures while trying to find a way back home.

Samurai Jack meets with Soule the Seer who tells him if he collects the threads of time he can reweave the Rope of Eons which when rewound, will rewind time. The closest thread is on the opposite end of the desert in a giant hole and Jack needs to defeat the 5 warriors guarding it, in order to obtain the first thread of time.

Jim Zub is a master of the action-comedy genre, showcased in his creator-owned series, Skullkickers, and he gives Samurai Jack the same love and care. This first issue is heavily action oriented with much of the humor drawn from the supplemental characters which have the best dialogue such as one of the wounded warriors worrying if he's going to get an infection and asking for first aid. Jack himself doesn't talk too much which forces the story to rely on antagonist dialogue and the gorgeous art.

Andy Suriano, character designer for the original tv series, is the artist so he brings the same bold designs from the show to the comic. Each bright page has colors bursting off of every panel. All the enemy warriors have their own individual style which allows them to contrast each other during the battle. My favorite touch was the use of benday dots in the backgrounds. It really adds that classic comic book feel.

This is an amazing debut issue from Zub and Suriano. It's the perfect pairing for a book like this. Given the genius source material and the creative team, the possibilities are endless.  

Written or Contributed by Tim Midura

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: Gotta Get Back, Back To The Past: Samurai Jack #1

Postby habitual » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:23 pm

This and Beast Wars are the two best cartoons of the last twenty years IMO.

Hab

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 228 posts

Postby GHERU » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:25 pm

Waiting for trade on this, but if it's half as good as power puff girls #1 was I'll be happy

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 189 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:39 pm

FOOLISH REVIEWER YOU DARE NOT TALK MORE OF THE GLORY OF AKU?! YOU FAIL REVIEWER!! FAIL!! HA HA HA!

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 476 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:11 pm

Zechs wrote:FOOLISH REVIEWER YOU DARE NOT TALK MORE OF THE GLORY OF AKU?! YOU FAIL REVIEWER!! FAIL!! HA HA HA!

I'm pretty sure Zechs reads the comic out loud in his Aku (it probably sounds more like Mojo Jojo) voice...
ImageImageImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand