Advertisement

FF #12 (Great for Paintball Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

FF #12 (Great for Paintball Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:09 am

I really enjoyed this one, picking up right where last week’s Fantastic Four #600 left off, we follow the FF kids as they regroup. The real star of this book is Valeria, she’s become a really interesting character, and one who’s motives are very mysterious and difficult to read. I’m not quite sure what’s going on with all the different machinations and evil plans going on in this book, there’s Evil Reed to consider, as well as Nathaniel Richards and Doctor Doom and Kristoff Bernhard. Too many geniuses! But of course this book is now about the kids, so Hickman wisely brings in some humour, which he’s getting better at, I loved the scene with Val making a Lightsaber, and Bentley 23 continues to be awesome. Juan Bobillo’s cartoonish art really helps with this tone, I loved his work on She-Hulk, and he really brings it here, the kids look like kids, and the weird stuff like Dragon Man and the fish people are depicted as suitably weird. I’m sure his style will be controversial and cause arguments, as any stylistic art does, but I like it. Whilst I’m still not sure whether we need tow Fantastic Four books, this one did go some way towards convincing me.

Advertisement

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Re: FF #12 (Great for Paintball Spoilers)

Postby MistaT » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:29 am

Not familiar with the artist in this issue and it didn't quite take for me. It distracted from the story more than it enhanced it.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 234 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:10 am

I tried this book again because some have had positive things to say. I figured why not, that 100 page Fantastic Four should have ended all that 4 city junk so this would be the perfect time.

Right?

Wrong.

The 4 city thing is still going on and it's as bad as it was when I dropped Fantastic Four ages ago. This book is so un-inviting for new or returning readers that I want to reach into the book and slap Hickman - reminding him that every book is somebody's first.

For years/decades - Wolverine has been my least favorite character. Valerie is on the cusp of toppling this. Dreadful character.

Add in the rest of the cast (kids that you can't tell one from the other and whatever the hell Dragon Man's become these last couple years) and I doubt this book will even be worth a flip through at the lcs next month.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 141 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:56 am

I normally like slow-burning arc plots, but I reckon Hickman's love of decompression ruined FF for me. He's a good enough writer, but this storyline has gone on for too long and is just too inert for my interest to be sustained.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 120 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:18 pm

The only way to make that scene with Val and the lightsaber more epic was if Doom walked into the room and she point it at him.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 131 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:23 pm

I agree with nieto and Amoebas. Val now actively pisses me off more with every panel, this story is interminable, and Bobillo's art this issue was just awful. Ugh.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 122 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:58 pm

I've never really quite understood Val's characterization.

That being said I just went back and re-read the beginning of Hickman's run and was blown away at how well it reads all together.

This is one of the best runs on FF I've ever read and really reminds me of why it still should be Marvel's "flagship" team.

Hab

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 122 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:50 pm

I'd also like to add that Bentley is flipping awesome.

Great new character.

Hab

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:37 am

Agree about the art. Holy crap, Bobillo fucking blows.

But I liked this, despite that. I think Hickman's got a real handle on the Fantastic Four.. both the main team, and the kids in FF. And I agree, Bentley does rock. I also like the moloid kids. The only thing this book needs is a better artist, and fast.. before it loses me from shitty art.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand