Advertisement

Green Arrow #17 (Defenestration Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Green Arrow #17 (Defenestration Spoilers)

Postby BlueStreak » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Who else checked out Jeff Lemire's first issue on Green Arrow? While it's definitely an upgrade over the initial Green Arrow New 52 arc, I felt it was a bit underwhelming. While there's a clearing out of Ollie's previous supporting cast and a reset on Ollie's status quo, I still felt the plot was generally uninspired. Also, while the art's definitely fantastic, I didn't get the panel layouts with random panels done in black and white.

Still, there's enough potential for it to be good. I'll give it another issue or two to see if it gets better.

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 184 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Re: Green Arrow #17 (Defenestration Spoilers)

Postby nietoperz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:24 pm

I decided to check it out via Comixology, and I enjoyed it, though agree that on the whole it could have been better. I do like the economy with which Lemire just swept the whole status quo away with one fell swoop, and have been a fan of Sorrentino's for a while now. It's not being added to my pull just yet, but I will be giving it another issue...

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:55 pm

Blargh, where are the spoilers, argh

Seriously though- I agree. It was just alright. It's got another issue cause the art's so good and cause Lemire's been so enjoyable on other stuff of late.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 184 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:19 pm

The thing is that Marvel's Hawkeye book casts kind of a long shadow over GA at the moment as well. as does Arrow. The hit TV show means nothing in the context of the comic book because the characters are so fundamentally dissimilar as to bear no relation at all to each other. Certainly, anyone picking up Green Arrow hoping to get more of what they enjoyed on TV will go away disappointed. Equally, people who enjoy Hawkeye won't come running to this because it's so poor in comparison.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:47 pm

nietoperz wrote:The thing is that Marvel's Hawkeye book casts kind of a long shadow over GA at the moment as well. as does Arrow. The hit TV show means nothing in the context of the comic book because the characters are so fundamentally dissimilar as to bear no relation at all to each other. Certainly, anyone picking up Green Arrow hoping to get more of what they enjoyed on TV will go away disappointed. Equally, people who enjoy Hawkeye won't come running to this because it's so poor in comparison.

Maybe clearing the boards will allow them to move things a little closer in tone to the show?
One of the problems with the issue is that I don't give two shits for the previous status quo, so
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
the death of that business guy and the two assistants at the Q Lab place
don't mean anything to me. As a result, I wanted more with the villain and x-eyes at the end. Hopefully, this will be a lot like Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run, as the circumstances are a little bit similar. No one remembers the issue before Anatomy.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:53 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:
Maybe clearing the boards will allow them to move things a little closer in tone to the show?
One of the problems with the issue is that I don't give two shits for the previous status quo, so
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
the death of that business guy and the two assistants at the Q Lab place
don't mean anything to me. As a result, I wanted more with the villain and x-eyes at the end. Hopefully, this will be a lot like Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run, as the circumstances are a little bit similar. No one remembers the issue before Anatomy.

No one remembers Alan Moore's first issue writing Swamp Thing? :?

#20 ("Loose Ends") by Moore brilliantly ties off Pasko's run on the book before #21 reinvents the character.

I suppose you meant "no one remembers Marty Pasko's run", which I would still say isn't really a fair assessment because a lot of elements with Arcane from the Pasko issues were used by Moore.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 311 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:55 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:Blargh, where are the spoilers, argh

:P
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Postby mrorangesoda » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:35 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
No one remembers Alan Moore's first issue writing Swamp Thing? :?

#20 ("Loose Ends") by Moore brilliantly ties off Pasko's run on the book before #21 reinvents the character.

No one remembers loose ends. Most people think that run starts with Anatomy Lesson. It only brilliantly ties it up if you've read the previous run, which most people hasn't.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:48 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:
No one remembers loose ends. Most people think that run starts with Anatomy Lesson. It only brilliantly ties it up if you've read the previous run, which most people hasn't.

Nah, I think that it seemed that way in hindsight only because for years the TPBs collected Moore's run starting with #21 and so people feverishly hunted down the relatively hard to find #20. Many reviewers late to hop on the bandwagon who had only the TPB to go from wrote it that way, for sure, but it's a small revisionism. Moore invented the voice he uses for Swamp Thing and writes some of his best poetic narrative as Swamp Thing is hunted to his "death" in Loose Ends. The "roots" for everything that happen later with Arcane start there.

Shit, I sold on for over $35 not long ago, people still hunt down Loose Ends if they got a collection that starts with #20 and Moore fans and Swamp Thing fans realize its worth--it's not forgotten or unremembered by any stretch of the imagination.

If they'd collected Moore's run the other way, the sensible way, that impression wouldn't have developed over the years.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:04 pm

I ordered the first few issues from DCBS but I won't get the first issue until this Friday (I do the twice per month shipping). I like a lot of what I've read by Jeff Lemire and I'm hoping he turns this book around. It was absolute garbage at first and I dropped the book, then I picked it up again when Nocenti took over, but that wasnt any better. I think this will be my last go around with GA for a long time if this isn't any good.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand