Advertisement

Grifter #1 (spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Grifter #1 (spoilers)

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:54 pm

Very non-DC 2nd origin for Cole Cash.

Grifter was never one of my favorites because I only read '90s Image Comics in some back-issues from some longboxes I bought in a fire sale and I could never figure out if he was just a dude with a gun, or super-powered, or what. Some appearances were better than others, as the quality of those different Image books varied a lot (and in some of those he was getting nagged by a poorly drawn space princess named Zealot or something). But Nathan Edmondson and CAFU are both solid, and they deliver a tightly-wound story that provides an intro to the new Cole, a grifter in more than name, and an alien abduction story that provides him with his new abilities he's only just discovering the nature of. Of course it must be the Daemonites--I look forward to learning more about them as they are now.

CAFU does a great job, I thought the coloring palette of the book could have been opened up just a little though.

IMO this is another one of the better new books, along with Animal Man, Frankenstein, and OMAC.

Advertisement

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts

Re: Grifter #1 (spoilers)

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:59 pm

This came out already too? Geez, did I just walk into the comic book shop with my eyes closed or something?
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:01 pm

Hopefully they weren't shorted or sold out.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:13 am

Pretty cool. I’ve always like Grifter as a visual, but never read many of his adventures (my Wildstorm reading trends more towards the more esoteric stuff like Planetary and Sleeper, rather than WildCATS)., so I was glad this issue was very ‘new-reader-friendly’ and basically introduced a brand-new Grifter. Nate Edmonson tells the story quite subtly, we don’t really know what the creatures are that attacked Cole Cash are, but the bit of mystery is nice, and the way we see that these Aliens are secretly all around us was very effective. I’m sure some people will find fault with there being a Plane hi-jack sequence a week after the 9/11 anniversary, but I don’t have a problem with it, if you can’t tell stories with freedom, the terrorists have won, and anyway, it was a very cool scene. This issue was pretty slow, and I’m sure we won’t see the full extent of what Grifter has to offer until the end of this first arc, but so far a writer who is new to me in Nate Edmonson and a character who is basically new to me have intrigued me. The art from CAFU was really good, I loved his stuff on THUNDER Agents, and he seems to have taken another step up here, this is probably the best-looking book of the relaunch so far, along with Swamp Thing.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 0 post
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Postby eltopo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:36 am

goddamn it, I gotta buy Grifter too ?

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 494 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:52 am

Wish we weren't getting a total reboot/origin story.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 268 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:03 am

HNutz wrote:Wish we weren't getting a total reboot/origin story.

Yeah, and that's pretty much what it is. Guy named Cole Cash has an experience which leaves him with psychic powers and alien enemies. Add in the brother, Max, and the mask, and that's really all they took from the original. And yet I enjoyed it!

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:23 am

did the original grifter have powers?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:14 am

eltopo wrote:did the original grifter have powers?

Like a lot of those early Image characters he was more resilient and stronger, and I think he had some telepathy or something similar to here--but again, I always found his abilities sort of hazy.

Feels more like an Image or Vertigo comic in tone, not surprisingly since Edmonson (who owes us more Jake Ellis, doesn't he?) is writing. I think rebooting Grifter from scratch using the elements he wants to bring over is the right way to go to try and keep this book open to getting as many monthly comics buyers on-board as possible.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:16 am

when's warblade #1 and Maul # 1 coming out ?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:18 am

Since it's a safe bet the Daemonites are in, anything goes if the book makes it for the long haul. They could re-introduce anybody they like.

Timbales
Fisty McDigger

Title: Namaste, mother fucker
Formerly: timberoo

Postby Timbales » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:26 am

so he is Sawyer with guns who can see aliens now?
However, Liefeld is an enigma wrapped in a pouch-filled, muscular, footless conundrum.
Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 268 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:49 pm

eltopo wrote:did the original grifter have powers?

Yes. Grifter had a range of psionic powers from a military test done on his unit, (Heh, I said unit) but using them was severely painful, so he very rarely ever actually did.

More often, like every other early Image character, he just had huge guns and bad azz fightin' skillz. Unlike most of the others, who literally followed the 16 year old male's standard current-day-roleplaying game character stereotype of "Grizzled loner who washed out of military service, but is still a deadly assassin who could whoop every action hero in a bar fight", Grifter was ALSO trained in the elite ways of an ancient, hidden secret society of female assassins, the Coda. Apparently, he was not only bad azz enough to be better than your RPG character, but he could also seduce an immortal alien into training him, when no man had ever been trained in their fighting skillz before.

Why do I like this character again? :smt017

Kong created the Outhouse to train the Faithful. One cannot go against the Word of Kong.---
The Teachings of Pawl Monk'Dib

Monkey, I like your style!
--Lex Luthor

Zenguru wrote:I trust Lord Simian's word more than my friend.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:51 pm

Lord Simian wrote:
Yes. Grifter had a range of psionic powers from a military test done on his unit, (Heh, I said unit) but using them was severely painful, so he very rarely ever actually did.

More often, like every other early Image character, he just had huge guns and bad azz fightin' skillz. Unlike most of the others, who literally followed the 16 year old male's standard current-day-roleplaying game character stereotype of "Grizzled loner who washed out of military service, but is still a deadly assassin who could whoop every action hero in a bar fight", Grifter was ALSO trained in the elite ways of an ancient, hidden secret society of female assassins, the Coda. Apparently, he was not only bad azz enough to be better than your RPG character, but he could also seduce an immortal alien into training him, when no man had ever been trained in their fighting skillz before.

Why do I like this character again? :smt017

He looks cool.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Punchy wrote:
He looks cool.

That's why I like you too