Advertisement

Guardians Of The Galaxy #12 (All of this is upsetting Spoile

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Guardians Of The Galaxy #12 (All of this is upsetting Spoile

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:26 pm

‘The Trial Of Jean Grey’ continues to be a good story, but this issue was mainly filler really, saved only by very strong opening and closing scenes. Don’t get me wrong, I always enjoy reading Bendis-filler, because of his great dialogue, but this issue was basically the X-Men and the Guardians flying to the Shi’Ar Throneworld with little incident. Now of course, there’s bound to be more than just incident in the next 2 issues, but still, this was just Bendis moving the pieces forward that one final step.

As I said though, the opening was very strong. We start with Cyclops having a flashback to the last time he saw his parents, with them being attacked by Aliens and his mother giving him and Alex the only parachute to make their escape. Scott wakes up, and his reunited with his dad, and I’m not ashamed to say I got a bit emotional. Bendis really nailed how surreal this must have been for Corsair as well, because he’s already done this once before when he met the present-day Cyclops. The emotion isn’t over however, as Corsair also tells Scott that his mother is truly dead. I wonder if young Cyclops will find out about his half-brother Vulcan? It might over-complicate things, and he is dead, but then again, Marvel’s cosmic characters have a habit of coming back with no explanation lately, so you never know. You know what, I’m guessing that Vulcan will come back in Rucka’s upcoming Cyclops ongoing. Scott goes off to be alone, but is comforted by X-23. I still think that relationship is all kinds of weird, but Bendis is making it work. Cyclops gave her a hug a few issues back, and now she returns the favour.

In case you thought this was all a bit too schmaltzy, Bendis does lighten things up with Rocket Raccoon and Star-Lord’s reaction to this family reunion, with Rocket not understanding why someone would hug their dad. We all know about Star-Lord’s fuckhead of a dad, but now I want to meet Rocket Raccoon Senior.

Speaking of Star-Lord’s dad, he reappears here, being told that the Shi’Ar have captured Jean Grey, and that his son is involved, so it looks like the Spartax will have a part to play in this story, I wouldn’t be surprise if we end up with a Spartax/Shi’Ar War. There might even be a Shi’Ar Civil War, as we see Oracle and Gladiator discuss the upcoming trial, and Oracle basically telling her King that he’s in the wrong, but that doesn’t stop him. I really can see Oracle turning on him, especially after another scene where she tries to help Jean out inside her head.

As I mentioned, the Guardians, X-Men and Starjammers get to Chandilar with no real trouble, only to run into every ship in the Empire guarding the courtroom. They are cloaked, so there’s no action yet, but how long can that cloak last? I found the short conversation between Kitty Pryde and Star-Lord intriguing, especially because Pichelli’s art seemed to be conveying a flirtatiousness and attraction between the 2. They probably will hook-up, we all know that Kitty has a thing for men called Peter (Colossus, Pete Wisdom, Ultimate Spider-Man). Pichelli’s art is brilliant throughout, her facial expressions are just perfect for subtle things like that, so the reunion between Cyclops and Corsair really did hit you. Stuart Immonen, who is of course drawing the other half of this story in All-New X-Men pops in for a few pages here too, which is always welcome.

We end with another great scene, as Jean’s trial begins, and she is shown footage of the Phoenix’s destruction of that planet way back in the day, and finally gets an up close look at her future. Again, Pichelli’s art perfectly conveys her reaction. So yes, whilst this issue wasn’t a hugely important, eventful part of the crossover, there were strong emotions at play, great art, and now the stage is set for Bendis to blow us away in the final chapters.

Advertisement

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 429 posts

Re: Guardians Of The Galaxy #12 (All of this is upsetting Sp

Postby Draco x » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:43 pm

Good review.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 296 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:16 pm

The thing I don't understand is but then this is Shi'ar logic is the why Gladiator is doing this and will this lead to him being ousted and replaced by someone?

Then again Shi'ar logic is always fucked up considering they killed the Grey family for fear of them having another mutant like Jean Grey pop up.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1239 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:24 pm

It's getting harder and harder for me to enjoy this title the longer it goes without providing any sort of explanation about how or why dead characters are just running about.

That being said, I will agree that the moment between Scott and his father was a great moment. Bendis's dialogue and Pichelli’s art really made what could have and probably should have been a very silly moment into an endearing moment that makes me want to see more of what happens next between Scott and Corsair. I am even more excited about the ongoing Cyclops series now than I was before!

I'm not as weirded out by what's going on between Scott and X-23 as other people seem to be but maybe that's because I don't really read it as being romantic. Yes, I know that there were some thoughts that were read a few issues ago that suggest that there is some type of attraction between the pair but they are teenagers for crying out loud, it's only natural. I see this as being more of a friendship that is growing between two characters who are misunderstood by their peers. X-23 because of all of the things she has been forced to do in her past and Scott because, well, go back and look at how shitty everyone was treating him at the start of this series! Now I am curious to see if X-23 will be joining Scott and Corsair in the ongoing Cyclops series.

I think that I may have mentioned this before but I really believe that when all of this is said and done and the original 5 X-Men are allowed to return to their own time, somehow, someway, Scott is going to be the one who remembers everything. So much has happened to the original 5 since they arrived in the present that it's hard to imagine a simple mind wipe will do the trick. Somebody is going to have to remember everything so that somebody can keep an eye on the team and make sure that they do everything that they need to do in order to prevent some type of catastrophic space-time continuum collapse and allowing that somebody to be Cyclops would be a particularly brilliant plot twist for the character. Imagine you were sent to the future and learned all that there was to know about your life, the good and the bad, and then you were sent back to your own time knowing that you had to do everything the way that it had been explained to you or else you stood the chance of ruining not only your own life but the lives of everyone you knew or cared about! That's some heavy shit to place on the shoulders of one person.
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:06 pm

Also, it's a bit weird and dismissive for Gladiator to shit-talk the Earth's response to Jean being kidnapped when the Avengers just helped the galaxy win the war with the Builders and basically saved everyone's asses.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:10 pm

Punchy wrote:Also, it's a bit weird and dismissive for Gladiator to shit-talk the Earth's response to Jean being kidnapped when the Avengers just helped the galaxy win the war with the Builders and basically saved everyone's asses.

Bendis didn't write it, so Bendis doesn't have to mention it. :smt102
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:12 pm

Grayson wrote:
Bendis didn't write it, so Bendis doesn't have to mention it. :smt102

Yeah, but Bendis wrote 2 Infinity tie-ins, he knows it happened.

I guess Gladiator is just a dick.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:18 pm

Punchy wrote:Yeah, but Bendis wrote 2 Infinity tie-ins, he knows it happened.

Well yeah, he always has been. :P
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:22 pm

Grayson wrote:
Well yeah, he always has been. :P

It seems to me like he became a dick as soon as he became Majestor. Heavy is the head that wears the crown etc.

I'm just glad we have Kid Gladiator now, that guy is hilarious.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:25 pm

Punchy wrote:It seems to me like he became a dick as soon as he became Majestor. Heavy is the head that wears the crown etc.

I'm just glad we have Kid Gladiator now, that guy is hilarious.

I don't know, there is always something dickish about a guy who blindly follows whoever is in power at any given time.
ImageImageImage

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 296 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:59 pm

Punchy wrote:Also, it's a bit weird and dismissive for Gladiator to shit-talk the Earth's response to Jean being kidnapped when the Avengers just helped the galaxy win the war with the Builders and basically saved everyone's asses.

It is and didn't Gladiator just "die" before all that in Annihilators: Earthfall?

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:08 pm

Zechs wrote:It is and didn't Gladiator just "die" before all that in Annihilators: Earthfall?

Nope.
ImageImageImage

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:19 pm

The Phoenix is probably the most screwed up concept in the MU currently.

The Avengers just developed a weapon that can disperse the Phoenix force so why the Shi'Ar are so hot and bothered by the reappearance of Jean Grey doesn't make much sense.

That's just the tip of the ice berg when it comes to this.

Hab

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 429 posts

Postby Draco x » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:34 pm

Punchy wrote:
Yeah, but Bendis wrote 2 Infinity tie-ins, he knows it happened.

Being a tool has always been one of Gladiator's traits I guess.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:56 pm

Still don't fully understand Gladiator's motivation either but, I am still enjoying this book and I love the idea of Kitty and Star-Lord getting it on.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand