Advertisement

Guardians Of The Galaxy #13 (Put on some krutacking pants Sp

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Guardians Of The Galaxy #13 (Put on some krutacking pants Sp

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:40 pm

The final chapter of ‘The Trial Of Jean Grey’ wraps up everything that Bendis has set up very well indeed, and at the same time sets up some interesting new possibilities for the future. The biggest impact here is obviously for the X-Men, but the Guardians have been affected too, as now even more of the Universe hates them.

The action picks up right where All-New X-Men left off, as Jean Grey interrupts the big fight, and basically admits that yep, she was (or will be) The Phoenix, and she couldn’t stop it. But then neither could anyone else, so why is she the only one on trial? She also says that she doesn’t want to punish Gladiator for what he did to her now, but that she can’t forgive the Shi’Ar killing the entire bloodline so she… powers up. She doesn’t become the Phoenix, no, this is something new. She glows pink and is even more powerful than ever. Inside of her mind, Jean and Oracle work out that this is psionic energy, and that this is Jean using both her telepathy and telekinesis at the same time. I suppose it’s a bit like Psylocke’s psychic dagger, but on a bigger scale.

She and Gladiator clash, and both of them basically cancel each other out, which leads to Oracle declaring the battle over. Cyclops, who once again is a total bad-ass, stands up to Gladiator and tells him to leave Jean alone, because if they come back for her, he’ll come back too, and he’ll bring all of Earth’s other superheroes with him.

Gladiator lets everyone go, but he tells Starlord that he and the rest of the Guardians are no longer allowed in the Shi’Ar system. So now they have the Spartax and the Shi’Ar after them, great. After this, everyone heads home, and we get more fun interactions between the various characters and great Bendis dialogue. However, the most interesting thing here is dialogue free, as Angela eyeballs Jean Grey. That has to be leading somewhere.

Once back on Earth, Starlord gives Kitty a comm-device so they can talk again, and whaddayaknow, they kiss. It’s kind of cute. Bendis also throws in some great comedy, with Groot acting weirdly towards Earth trees, and Rocket Raccoon being shocked by ordinary Earth raccoons and how naked they are. The issue ends with Cyclops dropping a bombshell, as he reveals that he’s leaving the All-New X-Men to go and travel through space with his dad. It would have been better if this had not been spoiled by the announcement of the upcoming Cyclops solo series, but this was still a big moment, and should lead to some interesting places.

This issue really seems to mark the point where the All-New X-Men really do live up to the All-New label. Jean has new powers, and Cyclops has gone into space, it’s not the same anymore. I also hope that this means that Bendis will start focusing more on Iceman, Beast and Angel, as Scott and Jean really have been at the forefront a bit too much.

It is perhaps a bit of a shame that this story was so much more about the X-Men than the Guardians, as they were mainly there just to get the merry Mutants into space, but as I said, the team is now even more outgunned than before, the future certainly looks intriguing, I mean, Venom? What the?

The art here from Sara Pichelli and David Marquez was very good, I normally hate fill-ins, but Marquez and Pichelli have similar styles, as seen on Ultimate Spider-Man, and from his short stint on All-New X-Men, Marquez knows how to draw the X-Men, so it wasn’t too jarring.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Guardians Of The Galaxy #13 (Put on some krutacking pant

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:24 pm

The Raccoons and Rocket's reaction to them was amusing. I can't say I really enjoyed a lot more about this issue. It came across as more of a set up for what Bendis wants to do in All-New X-Men than anything else. Since I read Guardians of the Galaxy and not All-New X-Men in the end the Guardians part in this crossover seemed kind of pointless.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 126 posts

Postby Lord Ice » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:01 pm

14 pages wasted as splash pages, mostly to help set up the Cyclops book. :lol:

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 155 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:42 pm

Stephen Day wrote:The Raccoons and Rocket's reaction to them was amusing. I can't say I really enjoyed a lot more about this issue. It came across as more of a set up for what Bendis wants to do in All-New X-Men than anything else. Since I read Guardians of the Galaxy and not All-New X-Men in the end the Guardians part in this crossover seemed kind of pointless.

I suspect this issue will read better in the trade, where it wouldn't bother you as much that the Great One used the last part of a GOTG issue to set up future All-New X-Men stories. :smt017

The Guardians provided the transportation into deep space :P That was their part in the crossover :roll: as Punchy pointed out in his review.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:38 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:
I suspect this issue will read better in the trade, where it wouldn't bother you as much that the Great One used the last part of a GOTG issue to set up future All-New X-Men stories. :smt017

The Guardians provided the transportation into deep space :P That was their part in the crossover :roll: as Punchy pointed out in his review.

I fully understand that the point the GotG played in this crossover was as the means the X-Men employed to get into space. I did read the issues as well as Punchy's review, and I'm not stupid. :P

My point is that any number of teams or individuals could have been used in that role. It wasn't necessary to use the GotG and therefore the crossover itself came across to me as being unnecessary. There really wasn't any need in the end to use the GtoG and therefore, to me at least, having this story crossover into this series was pointless. The Guardians could have been way too easily replaced with somebody else.

I hope I'm wrong, but right now it looks like all of the impact coming from this story is going to be elsewhere other than in the Guardians' series. What use was this crossover then to someone like me who reads Guardians of the Galaxy and not All-New X-Men?

Thank you Troy for the sig

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 173 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:16 pm

Stephen Day wrote:
I fully understand that the point the GotG played in this crossover was as the means the X-Men employed to get into space. I did read the issues as well as Punchy's review, and I'm not stupid. :P

My point is that any number of teams or individuals could have been used in that role. It wasn't necessary to use the GotG and therefore the crossover itself came across to me as being unnecessary. There really wasn't any need in the end to use the GtoG and therefore, to me at least, having this story crossover into this series was pointless. The Guardians could have been way too easily replaced with somebody else.

I hope I'm wrong, but right now it looks like all of the impact coming from this story is going to be elsewhere other than in the Guardians' series. What use was this crossover then to someone like me who reads Guardians of the Galaxy and not All-New X-Men?

The only thing of any real import to GotG IMMO was J'son's intercession during the trial. That could/should lead to something. Other than that...nada.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand