Advertisement

Guardians Of The Galaxy #7 (Tour over Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Guardians Of The Galaxy #7 (Tour over Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:05 am

This was a very dialogue-heavy book, but since I’m one of those deviants who loves Brian Michael Bendis’ dialogue, I still enjoyed it a lot, especially since I know next to nothing about Angela, and the back-story provided here was very much needed.

Basically, the Guardians have Angela locked up, and are trying to decide what to do with her. Drax wants to throw her into the nearest sun (who does he think he is? The Sentry?), but the rest want to talk to her. When Angela does decide to finally start chatting, we find out that she is from a place called ‘Heven’ and that she is an Angel, specifically, a Hunter Angel. On Heven, they are told myths and stories about a place called ‘Earth’, much like how we on Earth (those of us brought up in the Judeo-Christian traditions at least) are told about Heaven. Whilst out on a hunt, fighting some rock-monsters, Angela saw a strange light, the time-quake from Age Of Ultron, and then she was in our universe.

Because Star-Lord also saw this light, he knows she is telling the truth, and he sets her free, so she can visit Earth for herself. I thought the short scene between Star-Lord and Iron Man was very good here, Iron Man of course knows what it was that caused the breakdown in time and space, and whilst he doesn’t open up to Quill just yet, you know it’s coming. The Guardians give Angela a comm-device, and let her go and explore Earth, in what feels like definite set-up for a solo series, and then, as Iron Man and Star-Lord discuss what’s next, we see exactly what that is… Infinity!

So yes, whilst this was a basic issue with not much plot, it was still very enjoyable, the dialogue between the characters was a lot of fun, especially Iron Man and Star-Lord’s competing 1980s references, and now, after 2 issues of basically being a silent nothing, Angela has some back-story and characterisation, which is good.

The artwork from Sara Pichelli was fantastic as always, I love the way she draws facial expressions in a way that really imbues pages of just talking with a lot of energy and life. I also really liked Valerio Schiti’s pages depicting the world of Heven, it’s always an effective technique to use a different artist for a different world, and he has a great style, certainly not shitty. This was a quiet issue, but really, it’s the calm before the storm that is Infinity, I expect those issues to be crazy.

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 19 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Guardians Of The Galaxy #7 (Tour over Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:21 pm

I didn't mind this issue, but it did feel like not a lot happened. I enjoyed the dialogue like you did, but sigh, I just wish more happened. :smt102

Thank you Troy for the sig

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:52 pm

I did not enjoy this issue. I don't mind dialogue heavy issues but, the dialogue needs to be good. It wasn't. I have not enjoyed Bendis' GoTG Stark at all. And this issue Stark and Starlord we're more annoying then anything else.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Draco x
penile prisoner

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Draco x » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:06 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel tries to actually give Angela her own series or mini-series down the road myself. Will anyone actually care is the issue.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 6 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:31 pm

Draco x wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel tries to actually give Angela her own series or mini-series down the road myself. Will anyone actually care is the issue.

Depending on the writer....probably not.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

MistaT
penile prisoner

Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:16 pm

I'd be interested if Neil wrote it, since it is his character.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:21 pm

MistaT wrote:I'd be interested if Neil wrote it, since it is his character.

I doubt he'll actually write it, his plate is pretty full with returning to Sandman and Miracleman (I'm not sure how much of the ending of the story was already written 20 years ago), plus his novels, but I reckon he'll be a 'consultant' like he's been on these last 3 issues of GotG.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand