Advertisement

Guardians Of The Galaxy #11 (What is a Canada? Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Guardians Of The Galaxy #11 (What is a Canada? Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:22 am

The Guardians/X-Men crossover continues here, as this issue shows what the Guardians were up to that led them to appear on the last page of last week’s All-New X-Men #22. I haven’t done a review of that comic, because it was one of those books the UK was shorted on, but it was really great, and this issue ending at the same point was a clever decision on the part of Brian Michael Bendis.

The issue begins with Star-Lord drinking in a bar on Knowhere (it was good to have Knowhere show up again, as it was a big part of DnA’s run) and trying to pick up hot alien chicks like the Captain Kirk that he is. However, his pick-up techniques are interrupted by Gamora, who, being the deadliest (and hottest) woman in the Galaxy, is pretty intimidating. Gamora wants to know why Peter is in Knowhere, as the Spartax are still out to capture him, and he says that, because this is the first place anyone would look, he figures that they’ve already been here and looked, so it’s safe. Which does kind of make sense. Quill then says that, anyway, the Spartax are know looking for Thanos instead, so he has nothing to worry about. And then… he points his gun at Gamora’s chest. In a development that should have been obvious because Gamora is in her old costume, but actually surprised me a bit, this isn’t Gamora, it’s a Skrull Bounty Hunter hired by J’Son of Spartax to track down his son whilst the Spartax Empire turns their attentions to Thanos. She drugs Star-Lord and drags him off.

Speaking of J’Son, this issue sees the return of the Galactic Council meetings, as he, along with the rest of the alien leaders, are told all about Jean Grey, and the Shi’ar’s plans to bring her in to answer for her crimes as The Phoenix. I did find it interesting that both J’Son and the Supreme Intelligence, who are terrible dickheads, both objected to Gladiator’s plans here, because this Jean is from the past, and hasn’t actually done the crimes she’s accused of yet. Is there something up with Gladiator here? Is he a Skrull too?

After a funny scene with Tony Stark trying to leave a message for the Guardians but not realising he’s live-streaming himself (It’s great how the space tech goes over even his head), it’s back to Knowhere, as the Skrull Bounty Hunter fucks up by walking straight into the real Gamora and Angela. It looks like we’re going to get a decent fight, but Angela just chops the Skrull’s head off, which was cool, I love her no nonsense attitude, you never know what she’s going to do next.

The issue ends with Rocket Raccoon revealing that, after the events of #10, he planted a bug in the Badoon communications system, and set it to monitor any mention of ‘Earth’, which means the Guardians overhear what the Shi’Ar are planning vis a vis Jean Grey. They jet off to try and stop them, but as we’ve already seen in All-New X-Men, they are too late, and arrive just as Jean has been taken and we get to see the flipside of that book’s last page, with a splash of the distraught X-Men.

This was another very fun issue of Guardians, with great dialogue from Bendis and excellent art from Pichelli, who just gets better and better for me. She has a lot to live up to in this crossover, since the other side of it is being drawn by Stuart Immonen, but I think she’s just as good at this point, which is awesome. Both teams are together now, so the real crossovery fun can begin. Will we see them fight each other first? It’s a cliché, but I actually would quite like to see it!

Advertisement

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 462 posts

Re: Guardians Of The Galaxy #11 (What is a Canada? Spoilers)

Postby Draco x » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:40 pm

Good review.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 462 posts

Postby Draco x » Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Good review.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:09 pm

this issue was crap. some of Bendis's worst dialogue and padding tics, in a thoroughly pointless issue before shit actually (hopefully) goes down next issue in order to fill the eventual 6-issue trade. this is the first issue of this book that really reminded me how much I miss DnA's version.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 438 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:40 pm

chap22 wrote:this issue was crap. some of Bendis's worst dialogue and padding tics, in a thoroughly pointless issue before shit actually (hopefully) goes down next issue in order to fill the eventual 6-issue trade. this is the first issue of this book that really reminded me how much I miss DnA's version.

I didn't think it was that bad, but yeah it wasn't that great. It felt like set-up issue, which would be alright, except this crossover already had a set-up issue in it's first part in All-New X-Men #22. Bendis seems to be wanting to write this to allow people to just buy the two series individually if they want to, and that's a good idea, but he also seems to have forgotten that some people are also going to read the entire crossover. It's a six part crossover and one third of it is now set-up for what seems to be actually a four part crossover. It all feels a little frustrating.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:44 pm

By the way, what was up with Knowhere this issue? The artist appeared to draw it as if it was a planet orbiting a dual star system. Where did those two suns in the background come from? :?

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 871 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:07 pm

Stephen Day wrote:By the way, what was up with Knowhere this issue? The artist appeared to draw it as if it was a planet orbiting a dual star system. Where did those two suns in the background come from? :?

out of...

... nowhere?

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:11 pm

sdsichero wrote:

out of...

... nowhere?

Well...

...it's an answer...

...I guess.

:lol:

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 271 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:46 am

I did enjoy the Tony Stark bit in the middle of the issue, I love that for once Tony didn't know how the alien tech worked and actually had a dumb moment. :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand