Advertisement

Hawkeye #018

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 861 posts

Hawkeye #018

Postby HNutz » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:36 pm

After last issue's Christmas cartoon dog adventure, I want to wait before picking up this issue.

Does this issue pick up after #16 or not so much?

Advertisement

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 48 posts

Re: Hawkeye #018

Postby AngusH » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:37 pm

I haven't read it yet (or any previews) but I'm hoping to Zeus that it's not Kate or more cartoon dogs...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1276 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:47 pm

I'm pretty sure that this is another issue that focuses on Kate's adventures on the west coast. Fraction writes the best Kate since Allan Heinberg created the character and Annie Wu's art has been great on these fill-in issues, so I can't wait to see what they have in store for our other Hawkeye next!
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:42 pm

It's a Kate issue.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:57 pm

This was a very good issue.

Hab

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Postby AngusH » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:13 pm

:cry:

Solution: Switch Hawkeye to quarterly to (hopefully) give Aja time to finish his side of the main arc, and then have a monthly Kate comic with Fraction and Wu, with random non-seasonal cartoon animal-centric issues to fill in gaps when required.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 11:13 am

After last issue’s bizarre cartoon interlude, Matt Fraction gets back to business with the best Kate Bishop story yet, and one that starts to tie all of her previous issues together as the conflict between Kate and Madame Masque gets more and more personal.

The issue begins with us finding out that the strange Philip Marlowe-esque guy that hangs around the supermarket and gives Kate cryptic advice isn’t just a figment of her imagination, but a real person who tells Kate that he’s leaving LA and wants her to look after his cat. Kate agrees, but the cat is a massive dick, so along with her neighbours, decides to go and give it back. When they reach the man’s house, it’s huge, and they find him beaten and bloodied.

He tells them his story, and while he’ll never be able to leave LA alive. The man, who’s name is Harold H. Harold (the H stands for Harold) came to LA as a reporter, and covered all sorts of weird goings on, before becoming a Hollywood screenwriter and making tons of money. Whilst at a Hollywood party hosted by Count Neff and his daughter, he met up with an old friend, who said something cryptic about becoming young again. The next day, this friend was killed. Later on, Harold saw a younger version of his friend jogging on the beach. He investigated, found something horrible in Neff’s house, and was beaten up by his Goons, the bellhops and told that he could never leave Los Angeles. Count Neff and his daughter are obviously Count Nefaria and Madame Masque, so Kate agrees to try and help get Harold out of town.

They buy a plane ticket, and sit and wait. Harold is approached by Flynt Ward, the weed dealer from a few issues back, who, along with some of those damn bellhops, absconds with Harold. Kate and her neighbours give chase, but they lose him, and Harold is killed, hung from the Hollywood sign with an arrow in his chest. After yet another brilliant lecture from the poor Police Chief, Kate receives a letter from Madame Masque, telling her that now she’s fallen victim to the same punishment that Harold was under. She’ll never leave LA alive. Which is bad timing, as, from studying Ward’s phone, she discovers about the hit out on Clint back in New York. Kate can’t go and help him out at all. And oh yeah, when she gets home, it’s been set on fire. Clint’s luck really is rubbing off on Kate in the worst way.

This issue was once again full of the strange sense of humour that Fraction always brings to this book, and I think it was better balanced than previous issues, Kate didn’t seem like as much of an idiot as before, and it was more like a Thomas Pynchon style humour, with weird off-beat LAness in the background, I wonder how much Fraction loves Inherent Vice? I’m guessing a lot.

Annie Wu’s art was once again just a great match for the story, the way she draws facial expressions, particularly Kate’s is just perfect, and man, Matt Hollingsworth’s colours are just the best as well. This issue showed that the Kate issues aren’t just going nowhere, and with her learning about Clint being in trouble, showed the first signs of the now very splintered narrative coming back together again. At times the slow pace of this book can test the patience, but it’s always a lot of fun, and always rewarding.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 428 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:16 pm

Harold H. Harold? Fraction brought back Harold H. Harold?

Oh man is that ever cool. Has he even appeared since Tomb of Dracula stopped being published?

Thank you Troy for the sig

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 861 posts

Postby HNutz » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:29 pm

Stephen Day wrote:Harold H. Harold? Fraction brought back Harold H. Harold?

Oh man is that ever cool. Has he even appeared since Tomb of Dracula stopped being published?

I thought he died in the Doctor Strange series?

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:31 pm

HNutz wrote:
I thought he died in the Doctor Strange series?

Maybe, but here he is alive and he was definitely named as Harold H. Harold.

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Postby AngusH » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:12 am

OK, OK, I'll admit it. I enjoyed this issue. Still prefer Clint's adventures vs. the tracksuit mafia, but this was a solid issue that made the previous Kate issues not feel like a waste of time.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:06 am

Stephen Day wrote:Harold H. Harold? Fraction brought back Harold H. Harold?

He's a pre-existing character?

Huh.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:14 pm

Punchy wrote:
He's a pre-existing character?

Huh.

Yep, he first appeared in Tomb of Dracula #37, back in 1975. :)

http://marvel.wikia.com/Harold_Harold_%28Earth-616%29

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand