Advertisement

Hawkeye #019 - The SILENT issue (Spoilers eventually)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 844 posts

Hawkeye #019 - The SILENT issue (Spoilers eventually)

Postby HNutz » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:07 pm

So, after Hawkeye #017, I resolved not to buy an issue of Hawkeye unless I had some idea what it was about.

Marvel's homepage says
Cover by David Aja • Kate gets to the bottom of the greatest mystery in the entire Marvel Universe right this very hot second: just who the H is that guy in the trench coat that seems to live in her cat food aisle? The answer may surprise you. • Or maybe not, maybe you’re super-good at this kind of thing. • Anyway a simple investigation dovetails into Kate’s desperate race to stay one step ahead of the woman that’s sworn to kill her: Madame Masque and what started off as a zany summer vacation gets a little bloody. Buckle up, buttercups.

But, from what I hear, that was Hawkeye #018. Everyone else (like Entertainment Weekly) seems to be using this description:

Like next week’s long-awaited Hawkeye #19, which will feature dialogue almost entirely in sign language.Taking place after a battle that leaves Clint Barton with severe ear damage, the story will explore how he deals with a sudden loss of hearing. It’s the sort of thing that’s happened to Hawkeye before, but never quite like this: Word bubbles will be blank, the sign language used will not be interpreted, and body language will be more important than ever.

So... a silent issue, more or less.

David Aja makes it sound like "a very special" issue of Hawkeye.

Guess we'll see if it's a well done story on it's own, another attempt at gimmicky storytelling or somewhere in between.

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 482 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Hawkeye #019 - The SILENT issue (Spoilers eventually)

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:11 pm

On page 2, they're signing "Clint".

I'm curious if this issue is as "silent" as advertised and how folks felt about that after "reading" it.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1248 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:41 pm

I can't wait to "read" this issue but I work late tonight and I have to wake up early tomorrow morning to go to the dentist. :x :-(

Bro, I just want to read Hawkeye, bro! Stop getting in the way, bro!
ImageImageImage

Glacier16 likes this post.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:58 pm

I've read it, there's dialogue in amongst the signing and it's a great Clint\Barney issue.

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:45 pm

Totally awesome! Aja knocked this issue out of the park, bro.

The bros are going down, bro. 8)

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby HNutz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:47 am

It was entertaining.

Just wish we could gotten it without the delays, the fill-ins, etc.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 566 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:00 am

A good read but... this took half a year to make?

Half of it (the incredibly simplified signing parts) should have taken Aja an hour to do, so it took him all that time to draw half an issue?

And Hawkeye's been deaf before...

...so he should know in the Marvel Universe no one stays dead, er, deaf for long.

HNutz likes this post.

Supersoldier Washout
cheese

Liked in: 305 posts
Location: I can't really say. I'm currently what they call "AWOL" from S.H.I.E.L.D.
Title: Will Fight for Beer

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:30 am

It was well done but not worth the wait. When last we saw the Barton Bros, the fit had hit the shan and I expected more fallout. And, by flashbacks and the panel Amoebas shared, this is the third times he's been deaf.

Oh, well. Books #20 and 21 should be interesting.
Easily annoyed by jackassery

HNutz likes this post.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby HNutz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:20 am

Supersoldier Washout wrote:
Oh, well. Books #20 and 21 should be interesting.

Who knows?

If those issues follow this one, yeah.

If they feature holiday-themed talking dogs again... well, it'll be interesting, just not in a good way.

Amoebas likes this post.

Supersoldier Washout
cheese

Liked in: 305 posts
Location: I can't really say. I'm currently what they call "AWOL" from S.H.I.E.L.D.
Title: Will Fight for Beer

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:34 am

HNutz wrote:
Who knows?

If those issues follow this one, yeah.

If they feature holiday-themed talking dogs again... well, it'll be interesting, just not in a good way.

#21 (or 22) is supposed to be the final book, by Fraction a Aja.
At the end of the holiday dog book, the main dog accepted help from his friends.
He called "Jess" for help and said he needs "everybody's help" so I take it some Avengers are coming. (though a phone call would be difficult considering he can't hear...)
Easily annoyed by jackassery

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 566 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:21 pm

Supersoldier Washout wrote:He called "Jess" for help and said he needs "everybody's help" so I take it some Avengers are coming. (though a phone call would be difficult considering he can't hear...)

2 people like this post.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby HNutz » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:36 pm

Supersoldier Washout wrote:
#21 (or 22) is supposed to be the final book, by Fraction a Aja.
At the end of the holiday dog book, the main dog accepted help from his friends.
He called "Jess" for help and said he needs "everybody's help" so I take it some Avengers are coming. (though a phone call would be difficult considering he can't hear...)

They have phone services for the hearing impaired... which I doubt were part of the story.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 427 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:29 pm

HNutz wrote:Guess we'll see if it's a well done story on it's own, another attempt at gimmicky storytelling or somewhere in between.

Personally speaking, I'd say somewhere in between. The silent pages came across as a little gimmicky, but still made sense within the story the entire issue was telling. Overall though, I'd say this was a good issue.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:54 pm

#22 is the final issue

http://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/comments/2ankzv/its_official_bro_hawkeye_ends_with_22/

“HAWKEYE 19 went off to press this week all drawn, inked, colored, and lettered by Messrs.' Aja, Hollingsworth, and Eliopoulos. It goes on sale July 30th. It's called "The Things What Don't Get Spoke" (oh how Marvel's poor and beleaguered proofreaders love it when you monkey with the Queen's) and follows the Barton Boys after we left them beat up, bloody, shot, and deafened in HAWKEYE... 17? The numbering STILL confuses me; sorry.

This has been shorthanded by me as "the sign language issue."

I worked intensely with Rachel Coleman, an ASL teacher, advocate, creator and host of "Signing Time" and "Baby Signing Time" and, lately, a big hit in our house, "Rachel and the Treeschoolers." It was Rachel's work that first introduced me to American Sign Language in a real way; it was watching her work, when Henry was wee, when it occurred to me that, hey -- ASL is just like comics -- a purely visual language. You could really DO something with that...

There's this thing that happens when you put work out into the world sometimes: you get to meet your heroes. And sometimes, if you're really lucky, you get to work with them a little bit. Rachel, her work, and her amazing family are much beloved here in Ft. DeFraction. I was so happy she agreed to help my tourist-ass out on this one.

Anyway. More on this as it gets close to coming out.

HAWKEYE 20 shouldn't be too far behind. That's the last Annie issue, alas. Fittingly, it's called "The Longish Goodbye." All the threads of Kate's time in Los Angeles have formed a little noose that wants very badly to get around Kate-is-Enough's neck.

HAWKEYE 21 is in David's hands as we speak. I tried to call it "The F Word" but they didn't let me, even when I told them but the "F word" in this case is 'finale.' So it's called "Rio Bravo." The last page of this issue is the inverse opposite of the last page of 17(?). Anyway David is gonna CRUSH this one. I mean he crushes EVERY one but this one especially.

HAWKEYE 22 is called "El Dorado." It's gonna be longer than twenty pages. I shouldn't say how much longer until I get final confirmation. I'm dragging my feet a little on wrapping it up but... well, it'll be done this week. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow, and then that's it for me. Hard to say goodbye I guess (funny; I drag my feet on all my last issues). Anyway there's a Marvel editorial summit some time next week and I want those guys to have it beforehand so... yeah, time's up.*

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1248 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:11 pm

I thought that this was another great issue. Yeah, we had to wait a little longer for this issue than we would have liked but it's a small price to pay to keep Aja on the title instead of getting stuck with some filler artist who wouldn't be able to capture the look and feel of the series.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand