Advertisement

Hawkeye #11 The best comic this year

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 189 posts
Title: Self Important

Hawkeye #11 The best comic this year

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:52 pm

What happened? I'm gonna miss Lucky and what happened with Kate? This really was one of the best issues of anything I've read lately.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 615 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Hawleye #11 The best comic this year

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 27, 2013 2:11 am

It was a great issue but I am really hoping that the next issue fills us in on what happened from Clint and Kate's perspective.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 126 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:58 am

Loved the way this story was told.

Hab

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 133 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:21 am

Grayson wrote:It was a great issue but I am really hoping that the next issue fills us in on what happened from Clint and Kate's perspective.

pretty sure it will, as Fraction's already played with that storytelling perspective trick in the last few issues.

great issue, as always.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Hawkeye #11 The best comic this year

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:55 am

Wow, now this is a truly unique comic, especially coming from a mainstream publisher like Marvel. Already a rather experimental series, Hawkeye goes right off the deep end here with a story not just about Clint’s dog, Lucky (AKA Pizza Dog), but one that’s all from his perspective. Which means you only really see about half of the dialogue that is said. That you see what it is that Lucky is smelling, and that everything is lower down.

This was basically a visual tour-de-force from David Aja, not only does he do his usual style, but he also busts out some serious Chris Ware-influenced work here, with diagrams and dioramas. This was a beautiful-looking comic. I will say that at times I felt the story a little hard to follow, but I think that’s pretty much deliberate and that future issues told in a more traditional way, from a human being’s perspective, will shed a lot more light on what’s going on. We’ll find out what exactly Kate and Clint were arguing about, and why she’s going to California.

In many ways, this issue succeeded to well in it’s aim to tell a story from an animal’s perspective. Lucky may be a very intelligent dog, but he can’t comprehend everything, and so neither should the reader. The scene I’m most confused by is the one in the old lady’s living room, she’s speaking an Eastern-European language or something, and she has a necklace in the shape of an Uzi! Is she a spy for the Tracksuit Draculas? Who knows!

This was a fantastic comic like nothing else on the stands, and I love that Marvel are allowing Fraction and Aja to go so crazy with a character that is big enough to feature in the movies. This is the real mark of difference between Marvel and DC these days, the amount of creative freedom that each company allows.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:23 pm

what is the book selling? A book this good has to be close to cancellation.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 30 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:25 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:what is the book selling? A book this good has to be close to cancellation.

Well above cancellation levels, amazingly enough. I hated the book but I recognize that it is a well-done book that just isn't for me as opposed to say...a Jeph Loeb comic. Which is unequivocal trash for anyone except the Bass.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:35 pm

LobsterJ wrote:
Well above cancellation levels, amazingly enough. I hated the book but I recognize that it is a well-done book that just isn't for me as opposed to say...a Jeph Loeb comic. Which is unequivocal trash for anyone except the Bass.

As a dog lover it was a great issue....where is The Bass? Do you think he finally took my advice and killed himself?

- Les Paul

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 1 post
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:38 pm

This was a cool issue.
Hopefully next issue fills in some of the gaps, but I loved the way it was told from Lucky's POV.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 287 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:14 pm

I agree with Punchy about the Uzi necklace wearing lady, but it shouldn't take Fraction that long to make things clear. I suspect that after next issue we'll understand just what's going on.

Other than that slight bit of understandable confusion this was a really fun issue. It's one of the weirdest and most fun of this series so far. :)

Thank you Troy for the sig

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 0 post

Postby ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:16 am

I have a feeling that this issue might be the G.I. Joe #21 of the 2010's. I am planning to buy up to four additional copies if I happen to see them at another comic store. (none are left at my closest shop.) Worst case scenario: the comic book market crashes again, and four lucky people get a great read for a quarter.

MikeinLA
crash test dummy

Liked in: 28 posts

Postby MikeinLA » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:31 am

I bought issue 1 of this series and wasn't really impressed, so I dropped it. All the positive word of mouth I've heard recently has convinced me to give it another try, so I preordered the hardcover that comes out in November.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:34 am

Well, I'm sure Chris Ware is flattered, if nothing else!

Sell your Hawkguy comics, buy Building Stories.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand