Advertisement

Heroes and their returning rogues

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 144 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Re: Heroes and their returning rogues

Postby Mr. Log » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:03 am

I don't mind new villains as long as they're just being introduced. What I hate is a new villain with a hitherto unknown backstory that is completely tangled up with the hero's. "Wait, you're the one behind everything, my real arch nemesis??" :roll: Also, they need to be introduced and earn rep before being declared more dangerous and insidious than other established villains. "Even the Joker trembles at my name!!" :roll: :roll:

I also like switching up villains. There are a lot of good villains out there that would go well matching up with new foes every once in a while. Sometimes they even switch over completely and work better with the new match, ie Kingpin and Daredevil.

Advertisement

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 388 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:36 pm

With a few exceptions, DCnu52's first year didn't really have all that many known bad guys.

And I'd love to see rogues get swapped. One of the reasons I don't care for Flash today is because he HAS to fight Captain Cold, he HAS to fight the other rogues, he HAS to fight Grodd.

I've always thought Grodd was a great villain but with a lousy adversary (not saying Flash is lousy, just the matchup). I'd much prefer to see him in an arc against Superman.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 104 posts

Postby misac » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:11 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:So at work, me and a coworker were discussing comics and I brought up the horrendous Joker story going on. I mentioned how I'd be happy if I never read another Batman (and extended family) vs Joker story ever again. Then I mention how he needs a new rogues gallery (and I brought up a few other heroes also) and he disagreed.

Then I asked him these two following questions, which answered no to both btw:

1. Would you read a title knowing full well the creative team woud use completely new rogues instead of his pre existing onexfor the next 2.5 years?

2. Would you read a title where the creative team would pull an "acts of vengeance" and have rogues from other heroes galleries (Captain America vs. Iron Man rogues, or Spidey vs Ghostrider rogues, etc etc) be in there comics instead of any of his pre existing ones for the next 2.5 years?

Well, would you?

1. Yes! But at least make them believable, the children Hellfire Club is so fucking lame. And if done right I actually prefer it, it doesn’t feel like the same old shit.

I can understand writers trying to have their version of super hero vs rogue.

2. I think they should switch villains more often. It makes sense that it would happen more often. I was going to bring up DD as a good example of this.

Royal Nonesuch
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Royal Nonesuch » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:15 pm

Comics pretty much have to come up with new villains constantly, since they always lose. Dr. Doom doesn't mean anything if he's been losing to Reed Richards for fifty years. Thus, you need someone new to be a threat. Readers and writers/editors alike have to approach villains as having a short shelf life.
The witness said Mr Brown then called out to Ms Hay's adult daughter: "Look at this, I'm tittie-f***ing your mother!".

Jude Terror 12:19 AM
I put my dick in one of the bagels once.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand