Advertisement

Homage Throwbacks and Nostalgia in Comics

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 428 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Homage Throwbacks and Nostalgia in Comics

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:57 pm

This week I purchased two comics that had a throwback nostalgia to them, Batman '66 and Deadpool #13, which had a '70s theme going. I really enjoyed both, but they also got me thinking about exactly why we, (assuming I'm guessing correctly that I'm not alone) find these sorts of things fun to read. When it comes to myself, I really shouldn't have been affected by nostalgia when it came to either of these series. I wasn't even born in the sixties when the Adam West Batman was being broadcast and I just a kid, too young to watch the blacksploitatoin films that inspired the Deadpool issue, in the '70s.

Why do these bits of nostalgia interest us like they do? Even when they deal with eras that shouldn't have a nostalgic effect on us, 1602 from Marvel is an example, they still somehow do. It's an interesting thought and I decided that I'm curious about what other here think.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: Homage Throwbacks and Nostalgia in Comics

Postby habitual » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:47 am

Nostalgia is a powerful effect that grows as you get older. If done well it transports you through time.

One of the reasons I enjoyed Planetary so much was the sense of nostalgia it invoked for so many different types of pop culture. It definitely was the Lone Ranger done right.

Hab

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 901 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:37 am

A good story with a nostalgic twist can be transformative as Hab mentions.

But straight-up nostalgia (revisiting the past) can hurt, bad. There are some comics, cartoons, TV shows and books from my childhood that are just plain awful.
-

MrBlack
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 141 posts

Postby MrBlack » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:17 am

The juxtaposition of modern characters in a historical or retro context is an appealing concept. It evokes nostalgia in a broader sense of the term, in that it is a sentimentalization of the past, while also giving us a look at well-known characters in a different social milieu.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1094 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:00 am

Stephen Day wrote:This week I purchased two comics that had a throwback nostalgia to them, Batman '66 and Deadpool #13, which had a '70s theme going. I really enjoyed both, but they also got me thinking about exactly why we, (assuming I'm guessing correctly that I'm not alone) find these sorts of things fun to read. When it comes to myself, I really shouldn't have been affected by nostalgia when it came to either of these series. I wasn't even born in the sixties when the Adam West Batman was being broadcast and I just a kid, too young to watch the blacksploitatoin films that inspired the Deadpool issue, in the '70s.

Why do these bits of nostalgia interest us like they do? Even when they deal with eras that shouldn't have a nostalgic effect on us, 1602 from Marvel is an example, they still somehow do. It's an interesting thought and I decided that I'm curious about what other here think.

Ever hear of repeats?

The reason why we like it, if we do, is because it's become a mythical era. One where we only recall the good or alter it to be some how a good or okay thing. That and laugh at the fashions, hairstyles... or lust for the stuff and what's wearing them.

We do this with every era and more with some.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 1094 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Postby The Old Doctor » Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:03 am

SHAZAM! :-D

:smt007
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Old Doctor is the NuDCU's Catscratch

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand