Advertisement

How DC Stole Detective Comics

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 400 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Re: How DC Stole Detective Comics

Postby Chessack » Fri Dec 06, 2013 4:32 pm

Good points on both your posts, TimH.

I can't for the life of me imagine subscribing directly from the company. My local c-shop with its in-store subscription service is so much better. It's like getting Platinum Concierge service with every sub. They put aside extra things I don't sub to just in case I might be interested because they know my tastes. They put aside the crossovers issues from other titles - at no obligation to me - just in case I want them (although they may stop that as I have been consistent in my refusal to take extra stuff just to get the crossover, which befuddles them but at least I am consistent). I get them on release day if I want, or later if I want. And if I can't make the 40 minute trek one day, they'll mail them to me at whatever frequency I desire (weekly, monthly, etc). Yes they'll charge a little for that, but it's well worth the service. And on top of that if I sub to 10 or more titles, they start giving discounts. And with something like Detective #27, yeah, I'd pay full cover price but at least I'd GET the damn thing.

So, I can't imagine why I'd sub directly from Marvel/DC when I get basically free Platinum-level service from the c-shop.

Advertisement

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:17 pm

Spot on TimH. I buy my comics digital so no issue here.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 423 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: RE: How DC Stole Detective Comics

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:24 pm

FBtron wrote:... his sheep-like new 52 followers are too blind sided ...

I have to say that using the phrase "blind sided" is pretty douchey even for you :lol:

<--- baaaaa Image
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Scintillant-H
cheese

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: Glitter Bitch
Formerly: Hal Shumaker

Postby Scintillant-H » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:11 am

BWAHAHAHA!!
I was wondering how long the run would be before the counter was reset! Every day I check that counter by typing "DC stupid" into google (cuz I'm too lazy to type in the URL) and I'm always giddy as apple pie with extra anti-DC-cinnamon to see it reset.
It guarantees that I have an interesting story to read ;)

And, dude, a million extra f-ing points for the poem. That was not only righteously awesome in concept, but very well done! Love the Grinch photos, too!
The only problem with that is that in the end, the Grinch becomes a good guy.... I don't see that happening from anyone who's truly loyal to DC. There are the employees who stick around because they love the characters too much to abandon them, then there are the a**-kissers and d**k-suckers.

But damn, this was funny! In knowing the way DC works nowadays, it was a given that they'd do SOMETHING to reset the counter for the Christmas holiday, but I thought they would wait til closer to the 24th-ish.
Ah, but the month is still young yet, isnt it?
XDD

(again, seriously, the article mirroring the Grinch poetry was just awesome)

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 388 posts

Postby Draco x » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:43 am

Scintillant-H wrote:BWAHAHAHA!!
I was wondering how long the run would be before the counter was reset! Every day I check that counter by typing "DC stupid" into google (cuz I'm too lazy to type in the URL) and I'm always giddy as apple pie with extra anti-DC-cinnamon to see it reset.
It guarantees that I have an interesting story to read ;)

And, dude, a million extra f-ing points for the poem. That was not only righteously awesome in concept, but very well done! Love the Grinch photos, too!
The only problem with that is that in the end, the Grinch becomes a good guy.... I don't see that happening from anyone who's truly loyal to DC. There are the employees who stick around because they love the characters too much to abandon them, then there are the a**-kissers and d**k-suckers.

But damn, this was funny! In knowing the way DC works nowadays, it was a given that they'd do SOMETHING to reset the counter for the Christmas holiday, but I thought they would wait til closer to the 24th-ish.
Ah, but the month is still young yet, isnt it?
XDD

(again, seriously, the article mirroring the Grinch poetry was just awesome)

:-D :-D :-D

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 72 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:00 am

typing 'DC Stupid' isn't being lazy - it's being efficient!

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 303 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:23 am

holtom2000 wrote:typing 'DC Stupid' isn't being lazy - it's being efficient!

No, it's not either. Lazy and efficient would be typing it into Google ONCE, and just bookmarking the page so you can get back every day with just one mouse click...

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 400 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:13 pm

Even more efficient would be to assume DC did something stupid today -- each day. It's true more often than it's false.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 966 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:31 pm

:lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

HNutz
P&#1062;&#1048;K&#1063; &#1042;&#1071;&#1025;&#106

Liked in: 720 posts

Postby HNutz » Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:44 pm

Chessack wrote:Second, as you say, why not provide some options? If #27 is 96 pages, they didn't just figure that out now. Comics are planned and produced months in advance. My guess is, the artists and writers were working on this a couple of months ago. This is plenty of lead time. Why not send, not a letter, but a survey form to each customer with options? A tear-off form with 3 checkboxes:

Option 1: I would like to receive Detective #27 and have it count for two of months worth of subscription, rather than one. Please shorten my remaining subscription by 1 issue (11 total rather than 12) to compensate.

Option 2: I would like to receive Detective Comics #27 but I don't want to lose any months of subscription. Enclosed is my check for $3.99 to make up the difference in cost.

Option 3: I do not want to receive Detective Comics #27 as part of my subscription. Please skip that month and extend my subscription 1 more month to compensate.

If (see point 1) they had been on the ball about this back in say October, the whole counter reset could have been avoided. Additionally, starting in October, they should have warned everyone who subscribed to Detective Comics between then and #27's release what was coming and provided the same options.

I mean seriously, how hard is that?

This makes a LOT of sense.

So of course DC decides to go a different way.

Evan Meadow
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 13 posts

Postby Evan Meadow » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:38 am

Are we sure the Subscription service is still in house somewhere in DC/Time Warner? Most others have been thinking its being done by a 3rd party and they're the ones that made that call because they're being stingy, not DC.

Of course if that's true, I think DC needs to be made aware of it and make them send it out regardless of how much extra it costs that company (if that's how its done).

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 966 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:38 pm

The letter sent out is signed by a vice president at DC Comics.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Evan Meadow
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 13 posts

Postby Evan Meadow » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:20 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:The letter sent out is signed by a vice president at DC Comics.

They have programs that auto sign that stuff nowadays. Not to mention secrataries. No VP is going to actually sit and sign all of those.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 379 posts

Postby GHERU » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:27 pm

Evan Meadow wrote:
They have programs that auto sign that stuff nowadays. Not to mention secrataries. No VP is going to actually sit and sign all of those.

But if it has him name on it he approved it.

Which is what Jude obvious was saying

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 206 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:34 pm

I wish I could read the letter, can't enlarge the image.

Hab

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand