Advertisement

Ignored Independents: “The Tourist”

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 234 posts

Ignored Independents: “The Tourist”

Postby LOLtron » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:38 pm

The TouristWritten by Brian WoodIllustrated by Toby CypressImage ComicsUS$9.99Review by L’IndépendantBrian Wood is writing way too much. I don’t know how much more my wallet can take. Here’s the real bitch of it – IT’S GOOD. Some of it is spectacular. Supermarket, DMZ, and Local are three of my favorite comics on the rack right [...]
ImageThe Tourist
Written by Brian Wood
Illustrated by Toby Cypress
Image Comics
US$9.99

Review by L’Indépendant

Brian Wood is writing way too much. I don’t know how much more my wallet can take. Here’s the real bitch of it – IT’S GOOD. Some of it is spectacular. Supermarket, DMZ, and Local are three of my favorite comics on the rack right now (go take them off the racks, you fools!). The Tourist gains a spot on my shelf – not because I bought it, but because it, too, IS GOOD. More…You’ve got the solicitation text up there, so what of it? Well, cool premise. Enough that it, and Wood’s name, caused me to add this to my pull list on Monday. Wood’s dialogue flows naturally. The relationship between Julie and Moss is at times fun and playful, and at other times, dead honest. The pacing starts out slow, but then picks up, with vigor. And the resolution to the story leaves the reader feeling very satisfied at having spent the last half hour with this book.

Cypress’s art is pretty unique. At first glance, the art didn’t wow me. Then I spent some time actually look at the technique, with the lines and the shadowing, and Cypress has some real talent. And it works incredibly well for this story.

Overall: If you missed this, email your LCS now and ask them for one.

Posted originally: 2006-04-14 02:38:38

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand