Advertisement

Indestructible Hulk #9 (Red Tracksuit's problem Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Indestructible Hulk #9 (Red Tracksuit's problem Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:38 am

So far I’ve been enjoying Indestructible Hulk, but I haven’t felt it reach the heights I know Mark Waid can get to. With this issue, I think it did, and it’s surely no coincidence that this issue is a team-up between Hulk and Daredevil, a character that Waid is currently surpassing those heights with. This issue was a whole lot of fun, as we discover that, as part of Bruce Banner’s deal with SHIELD, he has Matt Murdock on retainer as his lawyer to make sure that he’s not abused by the Military Industrial Complex. This of course leads to their alter-egos joining forces to take down a shipment of super-weapons by Agence Byzantine.

It was just great seeing these two characters work together, and it was even better how Waid used it to play with the conventions of Daredevil stories, like busting into a criminal underworld bar. Daredevil is a lot more intimidating when he’s got the fucking Hulk backing him up. This issue also featured some great stuff with the relationship between Maria Hill and Bruce Banner, how they antagonise eachother, but how that’s actually effective. This issue was the clearest demonstration so far of how Hulk: Agent Of SHIELD is going to work, and it was great. Oh yeah, and the last page only went and brought back Baron Zemo, which is awesome.

The artwork for this issue was by Matteo Scalera, whose work I really enjoyed on Remender’s Secret Avengers, and he does similar good stuff here, he draws a good Daredevil, and more importantly he draws a big-ass hulking Hulk. Val Staples’ colours also deserve props, it’s odd to have a Hulk story set at night in New York City, but he made it work. This was my favourite issue of this series so far, I think Waid has found his groove.

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: Indestructible Hulk #9 (Red Tracksuit's problem Spoilers

Postby chap22 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:50 am

9 issues in and my feelings on this book break down as such: i think Waid has a lot of great little ideas about Hulk/Banner, but i still don't see as he's really building toward any great big idea; it makes for a bunch of fun moments, and enjoyable quick-hitting single issues, but doesn't really feel like it's building to much, even though i'm sure it is; so here the DD team-up starts and it's more of the same...art is ok not great, some really fun moments with DD and Banner/Hulk, some cute bits with Banner and Hill, but the story really feels kinda pedestrian...and then we get to the last page villain reveal: OMGOMGOMGOMGSQUEEEEEE...now we're talking, Waid! ZEMO!!!!! i'm sure it won't happen, but if he were to keep ol' pink-sock-mask around on this book long-term, i'd be solder than sold.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1133 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:47 pm

I have really enjoyed Indestructible Hulk so far but like chap, it's difficult for me to see where this is going. It's a great book but it doesn't seem like it has a clear direction or purpose in mind. That being said, this issue was probably my favorite issue of the series so far. The last page reveal completely took me by surprise and blew me away. I really hope that Zemo sticks around for awhile.
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:50 pm

Does a Hulk series need a direction apart from 'SMASH'?

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1133 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:05 pm

Punchy wrote:Does a Hulk series need a direction apart from 'SMASH'?

Yeah, I think so. I don't really have a good idea what that direction would be for this current series but it can't just be "SMASH" all the time. Maybe we will find out that Zemo has some type of grand scheme because he isn't fond of the idea of S.H.I.E.L.D. having a weapon as powerful as the Hulk at their disposal. :smt102
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand