Advertisement

Infinity #5 SPOILERS Isn't this fun !

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 995 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Infinity #5 SPOILERS Isn't this fun !

Postby Grayson » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:23 pm

I feel like I have been reading this event backwards because I have been enjoying the cosmic portions of it more than the parts set on Earth, yet the only tie-ins that I have been reading are the tie-ins to the Earth-based material. :?

Sorry, as much as I love Thanos and the Inhumans, I really can't bring myself to care about the storyline revolving around Thane. I really appreciate the fact that the Inhumans are being used on a much larger scale in the Marvel Universe now and Hickman's Thanos has been quite enjoyable but I can't really imagine that with the epic scale of this event, that so many powerful forces would be so concentrated on this one character.

Aside from that, this was another great issue and I am pleased that with this and Battle of the Atom, we are finally starting to get some good Marvel events for a change.
ImageImageImage

Advertisement

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 130 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:23 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Re: Avengers 22...that was the gay married guy making out with the whatever her name is right? Did that happen in issue 21? I don't remember those seeds ever showing up till the first page of 22.

That's Northstar you're thinking about. Cannonball is straight.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:47 pm

Punchy wrote:
But I’m getting ahead of myself, there’s still the matter of those death-crazed Alephs to deal with, but in the end, they are actually dealt with fairly easily, as the Avengers have now inspired the galaxy to fight back and win. It’s here that Hickman brings back the concept of an ‘Avengers World’ with the pretty awesome image of a bunch of aliens hoisting up a giant ‘A’, Iwo Jima style. Hickman started using this phrase in #1 of Avengers, and of course, there’s a new series using that name starting up, and man, after reading this issue I am much more excited for that series, especially if it’s this grand in scale. Of course, it’s not all just the Avengers inspiring people, we do still get to see the Hulk smash an Aleph. I suppose there is an issue here with how easy the Alephs were defeated, but I’m not sure we’ve seen the last of them and The Builders. So, after saving the Galaxy and inspiring billions of aliens, Cap, Thor and the rest stop for a part and a drink, only for Gladiator to spoil the mood and tell them that, in their absence, Earth has been conquered by Thanos.

I'm pretty sure that we haven't seen the last of The Builders, as they popped up in New Avengers during the Infinity crossover.

Most of this issue was focused on the Earth-based side of the story, so I loved it, and we got some very interesting developments. Ebony Maw captures Thane, but not after giving him a costume to control his powers. We’ve not seen too much of Thane so far, but he seems like he could be a great addition to the Marvel Universe, and man, Ebony Maw is just a fascinating villain, you’re not sure what he’s up too, and he could very well be moving against Thanos here. Speaking of Thanos, he’s deep in the heart of the Illuminati’s secret base, trying to gain access to the WMDs they created in order to destroy other Earths in the Incursions. It turns out Black Bolt is still alive (yay!) and that’s how Thanos gains control of the bombs, as Supergiant reads his mind. We also finally see Thanos come face to face with Thane, and whilst it is kind of silly that the only motivation for this whole story is because Thanos wants to kill his son, I do like how crazy it makes Thanos seem, and from Avengers #22, it’s clear that this is Hickman’s intention, plus, it does link nicely with Jason Aaron’s recent mini-series.

It isn't too crazy. In Greek mythology, Chronus overthrew his father Uranus as ruler of the Universe. He then proceeded to eat his children as soon as they were born, so as to stop them from doing the same to him. His wife Rhea his their youngest child, Zeus, to protect him from a similar fate. When Zeus grew up he made Chronus drink a potion that causes him to vomit up his other siblings (The Olympian gods Posiedon, Hades, Hera, Demeter, and Hestia, all magically grown up inside Chronus' stomach). They overthrew Chronus and his Titan siblings, and Zeus became ruler of the Universe.

Zeus himself was wary of one of his kids overthrowing him someday. He ate Athena's mother, whom he tricked into turning into a fly when she was pregnant. Athena was born inside Zeus, and mom spent her time creating armor for her to wear, causing Zeus headaches. Finally the headaches got so bad that Hephaestus has to split open Zeus' head, releasing a fully-grown Athena.

Obviously, it's this cycle that probably inspired Hickman. Thanos is, after all, from Titan.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 351 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:17 pm

So wait sunspot and cannonball haven't been banging this whole time? What the hell! Weren't they introduced on the beach together in speedo's making gay jokes?
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:35 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:So wait sunspot and cannonball haven't been banging this whole time? What the hell! Weren't they introduced on the beach together in speedo's making gay jokes?

Nah, they're not gay. At least Cannonball isn't I think I recall him being involved with Boom-Boom back in the day.

- Sons of the Desert

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 351 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:26 am

Juan Cena wrote:
Nah, they're not gay. At least Cannonball isn't I think I recall him being involved with Boom-Boom back in the day.

Being with a female character in the past means very little to being gay now.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:48 pm

I'm enjoying most things about Infinity. There is one thing that I'm not liking at all though and this issue typified the problem. The, "this planet was an Avengers world," and "that planet was an Avengers world," just drove me nuts. I'm not a fan of the primitive society proves the undoing of the more advanced society type of story. It can be done well, and I have enjoyed it at times. In this case it seems to be being used in such a clumsy and obvious way. That page with the words, "avengers world" appearing multiple times in particular came across like the kid on the playground jumping up and down shouting, "ain't I cool, ain't I cool!" Well no, quite the opposite actually.

Thank you Troy for the sig

adamiani
Attorney at Law

Liked in: 5 posts

Postby adamiani » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:15 pm

Gah.
What the hell is with the cover?

Infinity had a very strong, consistent, compelling cover style: single color, single figure, heavy on the bloom. This cover and the solicit for the next just really botch it.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:22 pm

Stephen Day wrote:I'm enjoying most things about Infinity. There is one thing that I'm not liking at all though and this issue typified the problem. The, "this planet was an Avengers world," and "that planet was an Avengers world," just drove me nuts. I'm not a fan of the primitive society proves the undoing of the more advanced society type of story. It can be done well, and I have enjoyed it at times. In this case it seems to be being used in such a clumsy and obvious way. That page with the words, "avengers world" appearing multiple times in particular came across like the kid on the playground jumping up and down shouting, "ain't I cool, ain't I cool!" Well no, quite the opposite actually.

Put in another way, in this issue it feels like the Avengers are the Ewoks in Return of the Jedi, and I don't want to feel like the Avengers are the Ewoks. :smt011

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand