Advertisement

Infinity in Trouble After Marvel Blows Entire Budget on Trailer

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:00 am

The comic book publisher may face bankruptcy after producing an extravagent trailer for the blockbuster event comic, Infinity.

Source: Press Release

Yesterday, Marvel Comics unveiled the teaser trailer to their upcoming super-mega-crossover event, Infinity, written by Jonathan Hickman and illustrated by a veritable harem of sexy superstar artists: Jim Cheung, Jerome Opena & Dustin Weaver. The trailer awed eager fans around the world with its dazzling special effects and impressive narrative vision. The trailer has been universally lauded by critics as an unparalleled masterpiece in the world of comic book trailers. But will it be a trailer to nowhere?

"Marvel spent so much money making this magnificent trailer, we're on the brink of bankruptcy again," said Publisher Dan Buckley.

With an initial budget of five hundred dollars and an office pizza party, Marvel's creative staff set out to create a simple, fifty-five second video advertising their upcoming blockbuster comic event. By the time production wrapped, the company had spent three hundred million dollars, an extremely large budget even for a feature film.

The trailer opens with cosmic villain Thanos, surrounded by mist, sitting upon a throne. The camera pans in on the Mad Titan's face as larger-than-life lightning engulfs the screen, punctuating the chilling words of a golden-throated narrator.

"That sequence cost twelve million dollars," said Marvel Chief Creative Officer Joe Quesada. "That's $1.2 million a second."

But the trailer was just getting started. Quick cuts reveal fantastic creatures, stunning locations, and mind-boggling science fiction space armadas. By the time The Avengers are pictured floating above a brilliantly photoshopped, blurry space background texture, the viewer finds him or herself immersed in what is, quite possibly, the greatest cinematic work of the twenty-first century. At this point, a moody techno score picks up in the background as the trailer winds up to its epic conclusion, finally finishing with a majestic graphic of Infinity #1 with some information about its release.

There's no question that this is an accomplishment in the world of filmmaking. But who could be responsible for such a wondrous piece of art?

"They tell me, 'Vlad, make graphics go whoosh,'" said unpaid intern Vlad Kozinkerov. "So that is what I do."

Vlad Kozinkerov may have created his generation's Citizen Kane in the form of a teaser trailer for a comic book, but at what cost? With Marvel facing bankruptcy, will they even be able to release the comic book itself?

"It doesn't matter," explained Quesada. "What we do, we do because we're artists. When we make a youtube video advertising a massive, line-wide crossover event comic with foil-embossed variant covers and probably hermetically sealed polybags and promises to change the status quo of the Marvel Universe forever, we don't do that to make money. We do it to make art."

And make art they will. A shitload of art.

Infinity #1 hits stores in August.

Marvel's press release insisted that we run the following text alongside the video or else we'll go to comic book media jail or something. Enjoy:

Infinity, the six part blockbuster comic event of the summer, brought to you by the star studded creative team of Jonathan Hickman, Jim Cheung, Jerome Opena & Dustin Weaver, takes fans to every corner of the Marvel Universe, and beyond! Earth has been marked as an “Avengers World”, protected by Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and more from the deadliest threats facing humanity. A powerful and destructive race is on a collision course with Earth and the only thing in their path is the Avengers! But even Earth’s Mightiest Heroes realize the one hope of defeating this dire threat is to unite every great hero across the cosmos…because only with a united Avengers Universe is there any chance of survival!

With our heroes at the other end of the universe, who is left to protect Earth? Enter Thanos, the galaxy’s most ruthless threat and an unparalleled force of brutality who brings order to the chaos of life through murder. The greatest threat to the Mad Titan’s work—and perhaps the universe’s greatest hope—is something he created leaving no world safe. Earth’s last hope may lie in the hands of a man who can level cities with a single whisper – Black Bolt, king of the Inhumans. But can the fearsome leader of a race hated and feared by his world, lead his people against Thanos? If they fall, so does the Earth—and the entire universe with it.

The Biggest Heroes. The Biggest Threats. The Biggest Sacrifices. This is Marvel’s INFINITY.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Title: Absent
Formerly: Scantronman, _OM_ & cyclopsfan

Re: Infinity in Trouble After Marvel Blows Entire Budget on

Postby outsider » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:45 am

LOL @ juxtaposition.
"Nothing. Lasts. Forever.
Infinity... "

The name of this series makes sense, but the timing of it in light of the impending release of Disney's Skylanders clone doesn't show much synergy.
-

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Tue Jul 09, 2013 7:58 am

outsider wrote:LOL @ juxtaposition.
"Nothing. Lasts. Forever.
Infinity... "

The name of this series makes sense, but the timing of it in light of the impending release of Disney's Skylanders clone doesn't show much synergy.

Yeah I'd rather play skylanders which I do with my son.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:08 am

Jude, you really oversold that trailer but you made it so I HAD to watch it. :lol:

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:18 am

that was quality.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Zero
Zombie Guard

Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:29 am

Ugh video trailers for comics are never going to be good are they?

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Title: Absent
Formerly: Scantronman, _OM_ & cyclopsfan

Postby outsider » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:32 am

bkthomson wrote:Yeah I'd rather play skylanders which I do with my son.
Same here. I love Disney overall, but that Infinity system seems pretty sucky.

(Have you seen Skylanders Swap Force that's coming out in October?)
-

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:14 am

Zero wrote:Ugh video trailers for comics are never going to be good are they?

Trailers for any print media doesn't work in general.

doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

- Les Paul

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:28 am

Clearly, Vlad is carrying this company.

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Lord Ice » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:40 am

Zero wrote:Ugh video trailers for comics are never going to be good are they?

Not as bad now as the motion comic cartoons of the 60's, but still pretty creepy

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Postby LobsterJ » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:44 am

Do the people making these realize how incredibly chintzy they look?

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby guitarsmashley » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:29 am

LobsterJ wrote:Do the people making these realize how incredibly chintzy they look?

Obviouslydone by hipsters to look ironic.

- Les Paul

Zero
Zombie Guard

Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:41 am

Lord Ice wrote:
Not as bad now as the motion comic cartoons of the 60's, but still pretty creepy

I can't work out if it's as bad as Magic trailers or worse.

Peter Harley Robertson
FACEBOOKTron

Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Infinity in Trouble After Marvel Blows Entire Budget on Trailer

Postby Peter Harley Robertson » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:31 pm

waste of money, great art...

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Postby dairydead » Tue Jul 09, 2013 12:56 pm

outsider wrote:Same here. I love Disney overall, but that Infinity system seems pretty sucky.

(Have you seen Skylanders Swap Force that's coming out in October?)

haven't really been following it, but a lot of stuff I've heard coming out of E3 this year has said that infinity is superior to skylanders.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand