Advertisement

Invincible #105 (Does this look like Salmon? Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Invincible #105 (Does this look like Salmon? Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:10 pm

Yep, I’m caught back up with Invincible, and just in time for… one of those issues where not that much happens and Kirkman just moves a couple of subplots forward a tiny bit. I like these issues fine, but after burning through the insane build-up to and fall-out of #100, this felt a little slow. But I’m sure a lot of these developments will play out in big ways somewhere down the line.

The biggest thing that happened in this issue was that Nolan, the new Viltrumite Emperor, decided not to execute General Thragg, and instead exiled him. Whilst I’m enjoying Nolan as Emperor and the continued humanizing of the Viltrumites, you just know this is going to come back and bite everyone in their ass, and that ass will squirt blood everywhere in typical Invincible style.

Other plotlines built up here include Robot struggling with no longer being in control of a planet, like he was when he ruled the Flaxans, and Mark and Eve getting ready to be parents. I loved the scenes where they built that crib (or attempted to at least), and that scene at the end where Mark tells his dad was brilliant. It’s amazing how much the characters in this book have grown and changed over the 105 issues, such a great demonstration of the benefits of creator owned comics when compared to mainstream capes.

What’s not so good a demonstration of the benefit of creator-owned work is when Kirkman has Monster Girl go on this weird speech about how there are fewer female superheroes than male ones, that was just odd. Kirkman has this habit of tackling real world debates about comics metatextually in Invincible, (see #97, which was MENTAL by the way) and it didn’t really work for me here.

But anyway, it’s great to be back in the monthly groove of Invincible, I’ve been reading it for so long, I really feel like it’s grown up with me, even though I’m not expecting a kid personally. This book is always worth reading, even when it busts out a quieter issues like this one (and this issue still had Invincible stopping a bank-robbery and fighting a rock monster), it has a unique pace that’s really cool, and of course, Ryan Ottley is just consistently great.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Re: Invincible #105 (Does this look like Salmon? Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:14 pm

Also, is anyone reading this 'Invincible Universe' title?

Is it worth checking out?

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 581 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Punchy wrote:Also, is anyone reading this 'Invincible Universe' title?

I was reading it up until the 3rd or 4th issue but I dropped it. It wasn't bad but it wasn't very good either. One of the things that I love the most about Invincible is the fact that Kirkman tries to make the supporting characters just as important to the story as Invincible himself. Invincible Universe tries to do that by expanding the stories of other, less important background characters but it just isn't as interesting.
ImageImageImage

Glacier16
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 12 posts
Title: kung-fu treachery

Postby Glacier16 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 2:26 pm

Punchy wrote:Also, is anyone reading this 'Invincible Universe' title?

It's not bad. My favorite issue so far is the one with Best Tiger.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:23 pm

Hmm, maybe I'll check out the first trade then.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand