Advertisement

iZombie #28 (Not the girl I used to be Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: Shitlord

iZombie #28 (Not the girl I used to be Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:55 am

The final issue of the series, and everything is wrapped up pretty nicely. The main villains, Amon and Galatea are dead, and Gwen saves the world from Xitalu. How does she do it? She strips naked, and eats him whilst growing to a humongous size. It sounds dumb, but it works, and I thought it was neat how the hot naked chick was the one destroying the tentacle-monster, not the other way around, reverse tentacle-rape or something. I’m sure Roberson hit some very weird corners of the internet with those final scenes. Gwen sacrifices herself and the rest of the issue is a little bit of epilogue, as we see what happens to everyone else, and even the dumb Apple-esque name of the series is given a reason for existing. Overall, this was a very good series, it took a lot of classic horror elements, put them in a new kind of story, developed a very interesting mythology tying them all together, and did it all alongside fun and interesting characters. I do have my problems with it, particularly with Spot becoming gay with no real explanation in the space of an issue, and I do think that it would have been better if we’d had a few more arcs of Gwen solving more normal crimes before we started the epic apocalypse arc, but given how things went down with Roberson and DC, it’s good that he was able to finish the big story and wrap things up. Allred’s artwork was fantastic on this issue as it has been throughout, he is a huge part of what made this series’ strange pop-arty tone work, and it was great to see him do something truly cosmic in this last chapter. Plus naked Gwen looked good for a zombie. And with that pervy comment, we will say goodbye to iZombie, goodbye!

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: iZombie #28 (Not the girl I used to be Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:41 pm

I'm going to miss this series, but the ending was something I felt was satisfying.

Looking back on the series overall, I'd say that things hang together fairly well. Like you there are some problems, Spot becoming gay in what came across as a plot device rather than as a natural evolution of the character I agree is the biggest one. I also would have liked to have seen more character development done to Gwen's gravedigging co-workers. They were mentioned this issue in the epilogue and I realized then that I really didn't remember them appearing much since the first issue. These are both minor things in the grand scheme of things though and this was a fun series.

Like I said, I'm going to miss it.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand