Advertisement

So, I just got through the last 3 Cable issues...

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Liked in: 0 post

So, I just got through the last 3 Cable issues...

Postby toolverine » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:21 pm

Let me preface this by saying that I am a Cable fan. I know, I know. There's not many of us. So, Cable just got a rebooted series where he is [portrayed as gigantic and uses huge guns to fight his enemy (Bishop) and protect an infant mutant in a post apocalyptic future. That's basically the premise.

I guess I missed the change where Bishop became a giant asshole and had little Dr. Octopus-esque claws with which he killed people. I definitely had a whiskey tango foxtrot moment when I saw that.

The book has been dun thus far, but some of the dialogue is over the top. So far, the mass characterization of everyone being a giant alpha male or female toting giant guns, save for the infant. It's a bizarre and fascinating nod towards the over the top 90s era of comics. However, I'm not so sure I'd liek to revisit the 90s so soon.

Anyone else reading this book? I may end up dropping it, we'll see...

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 134 posts

Postby doombug » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:41 pm

I guess my main issue with the series so far is that we can't see eye to eye with Bishop what so ever. Your really going to kill a red headed baby that apparently has the phoenix force (I hope I wasn't the only one that saw those eyes)

Its over the top but for whatever reason I seem to like that a lot.

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:58 pm

I agree it's totally over the top and again that I will continue to read the book for the foreseeable future. It's just so... fascinating.

Shady
cheese

Postby Shady » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:03 pm

I don't pull this title but Ariel Olivetti's art is stunning.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Title: Medicated and X-Rated
Formerly: FormerMember

Postby DeadFett » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:29 pm

I've been picking this up as well. I actually like Cable and Bishop as characters. But, this title has been dreadful. I've found the writing to be bad, which scares me for Iron Fist, and the art doesn't fit with the characters. I usually like Olivetti's art but, I don't think he's a good fit here. If the whole run is going to be Bishop vs. Cable throughout future timelines I'm dropping it.

Oh, and I hate that they've made Bishop an asshole.
Last edited by DeadFett on Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:04 pm

doombug wrote:I guess my main issue with the series so far is that we can't see eye to eye with Bishop what so ever. Your really going to kill a red headed baby that apparently has the phoenix force (I hope I wasn't the only one that saw those eyes)

Its over the top but for whatever reason I seem to like that a lot.

It makes sense after reading Messiah Complex

Man of Steel wrote:get over myself? You're the one who fancies himself some sort of internet celebrity.

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:58 pm

I hated the first issue, but I've grown quite fond of this book. I especially liked when Bishop got kidnapped, and he taunted the dudes until they started beating his ass, and then when they were done he just unloaded on them. Great Stuff.

I think the writing is fine; I didn't care much for Cannonball's appearance, but I guess it was necessary to explain where the other X-Men were, and that was the device that Duane S. used.

jza1218

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby jza1218 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:23 pm

It was bullshit how Cannonball died

troysshr
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 431 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby troysshr » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:29 pm

jza1218 wrote:It was bullshit how Cannonball died

That I agree on, but Bishop suddenly turning into an asshole? I always thought he was an asshole.

I have enjoyed the series so far and if you have read Messiah Complex then you can see where Bishop is coming from, even though I think he is totally wrong in his feelings, they are still his feelings to have.

I find the premise of the man that was sent into the future as a baby has now once again comeback to the past and can now only travel further into the future to protect a baby that is most likely the reincarnated woman that his mother was cloned from, fucking crazy as all hell but one hella fun ride for damn sure!
ImageImageImage

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 243 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:34 am

DeadFett wrote:I've been picking this up as well. I actually like Cable and Bishop as characters. But, this title has been dreadful. I've found the writing to be bad, which scares me for Iron Fist, and the art doesn't fit with the characters. I usually like Olivetti's art but, I don't think he's a good fit here. If the whole run is going to be Bishop vs. Cab;e throughout future timelines I'm dropping it.

Oh, and I hate that they've made Bishop an asshole.
Except for the part about picking this up, I completely agree with DF.

Also, i'm liking Olivetti's stuff less and less.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Postby DeadFett » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:38 am

john lewis wrote:Except for the part about picking this up, I completely agree with DF.

Also, i'm liking Olivetti's stuff less and less.

On the right book his art would be great but he's not a good fit here.

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:11 am

My point about Bishop was more like the changeover from an asshole to an uber asshole. Basically, he was a lot more decent in Distict X and Morisson's run on new X-Men.

I love how Cannonball was basically a biker.

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:12 am

DeadFett wrote:On the right book his art would be great but he's not a good fit here.

He wasn't a good fit on Punisher War Journal either, but I do agree with your above statement. He's just not dark enough for Punisher or Cable's current direction. Everything is so bright and cartoony.

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:15 pm

Is he doing his own colors? I don't see the art in and of itself lacking grit.

DeadFett
Outhouse Editor

Postby DeadFett » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:03 pm

C20Percent wrote:He wasn't a good fit on Punisher War Journal either, but I do agree with your above statement. He's just not dark enough for Punisher or Cable's current direction. Everything is so bright and cartoony.

Agreed. He was a bad fit on War Journal as well.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand