Advertisement

Justice League #0 (Pure Good Person Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 556 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: Justice League #0 (Pure Good Person Spoilers)

Postby Amoebas » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:23 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:"The worst comic ever" ? ? ? ! :lol:
Have you read any of Liefeld's crap lately ? The JL is fucking Hamlet compared to "Grifter" or "Hawk and Dove" :lol:

Hab been writing some good comedy lately hasn't he?

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:29 pm

Amoebas wrote:
Hab been writing some good comedy lately hasn't he?

It's not near as hilarious as a couple of the reviews in this thread.

If you think this is good your skull would be better used for serving tapioca :D

Hab

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 395 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:33 pm

habitual wrote:I just read this as I was browsing today and this is without a doubt the worst comic interpretation on this character, possibly maybe even the worst comic I've ever read.

I normally don't mind reinterpretation of character, in fact I usually enjoy them, but, this went to the degree that it was totally unrecognizable, to the point where it's not even really following the original paradigm for the character or the changes that were made to it in the last 20-25 years. We might as well call him Captain Goober.

I've wanted to see a more mature take on this character ever sense I read Miracleman way back when, but, this was totally the wrong direction to go. This version of Billy is pretty much an unlikable douche and the retake on Sivana is quite possibly even worse.

Then, there's the writing. Does this boy have the embers within him was were I honestly completely gave up on this comic, pretty much because it's one of the most ridiculous lines ever. I foresee this take on the character lasting even shorter than the ridiculous Freddy/Cap revamp we saw a few years ago

This is not only the worst comic Geoff Johns has ever written, it's quite possibly the worst comic ever, it sure is as far as I'm concerned. This book well best be served as a coaster for drinks.

Hab

Yeah, this is just pablum for the pitifully jaded mindset. Once again, Dan and the Gang forget that they're working for DC, not Marvel, that these characters are supposed to be heroes, not douchebags who happen to wear a cape.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 118 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:42 pm

Punchy wrote:So The Question is magic now?

WTF?

I'm glad I'm avoiding this.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:50 am

I think Shazam! is probably the best thing Johns is writing at the moment.

Shazam!
Aquaman
Green Lantern
Justice League

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 556 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:51 am

Punchy wrote:I think Shazam! is probably the best thing Johns is writing at the moment.

Shazam!
Aquaman
Green Lantern
Justice League

I can't come up with an arguement against this ranking.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:55 am

Punchy wrote:I think Shazam! is probably the best thing Johns is writing at the moment.

Shazam!
Aquaman
Green Lantern
Justice League

That's not saying much currently, he seems to have hit a real slump when it comes to new ideas. I'm almost starting to think that he peaked with his Flash run and JSA, with a mini upswing in GL. The Cap he wrote for JSA was far, far better than this, and there were things about the Ordway iteration that I didn't care for.

And I'd still put it at the bottom of the pile, there is literally nothing good about it. The writing is singularly awful.

I guess I can hold out hope that I'll see Marvel do something decent with Miracleman/Marvelman as this is just absolute crap.

Hab

Liam Rodgers
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:12 am

habitual wrote:
That's not saying much currently, he seems to have hit a real slump when it comes to new ideas. I'm almost starting to think that he peaked with his Flash run and JSA, with a mini upswing in GL. The Cap he wrote for JSA was far, far better than this, and there were things about the Ordway iteration that I didn't care for.

And I'd still put it at the bottom of the pile, there is literally nothing good about it. The writing is singularly awful.

I guess I can hold out hope that I'll see Marvel do something decent with Miracleman/Marvelman as this is just absolute crap.

Hab

I'm starting to think you peaked during the Trayvon Martin thread. :wink:

Seriously though, I get that Shazam isn't your cup of tea, but how exactly is Billy a douche bag? Johns tries to acknowledge that pure good Billy isn't a believable concept, sure his embers of good line is throwaway cheese but at least Johns has got the balls to try something new with the character that isn't another nostalgic fanwank rehash.

What would you want to see that hasn't already been done in Power of Shazam or Magic of Shazam series?

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:43 pm

Ntikrst wrote:
I'm starting to think you peaked during the Trayvon Martin thread. :wink:

Seriously though, I get that Shazam isn't your cup of tea, but how exactly is Billy a douche bag? Johns tries to acknowledge that pure good Billy isn't a believable concept, sure his embers of good line is throwaway cheese but at least Johns has got the balls to try something new with the character that isn't another nostalgic fanwank rehash.

What would you want to see that hasn't already been done in Power of Shazam or Magic of Shazam series?

Ideally I'd like to see a reset to the original incarnation of the character where Billy and Captain Marvel are two different people.

Like I said earlier it's not so much the iteration of the character that bothers me its the god awful writing and frankly the poor creative direction Johns has taken.

Geoff literally lists the number of ways Billy's a douche in the comic so I don't feel the need to go through it again. There are also probably close to 50 posts about in the various JL threads here so I have no idea how this is a surprise.

It's an awful comic all the way around.

Hab

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand