Advertisement

Justice League #8

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 370 posts

Re: Justice League #8

Postby avengingtitan » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:53 pm

habitual wrote:
Yeah, this was the last time that DC did anything that was palatable with the character.

Winick was surprisingly good on this.

Hab

Winick doesnt have a middle ground like most writers. He either SUCKS or is AWESOME.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 485 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:04 pm

Sakie wrote:
It's possible that Billy and Mary could still be related....

Yeah, that's what I'm guessing. Mary does look a lot like Billy's mom in that pic he has. IIRC, even back in the original story in the Golden Age, Billy and Mary had been separated sometime after birth. Years later when they met they didn't realize that they were brother and sister right away.

Sakie wrote: the Martian Manhunter (upon the revelation that he presumably attacked the League) just kinda stares off into space.

That was a flashback. They say he is now "long gone". Apparently he was a member of the League before he joined up with Stormwatch. He wasn't just staring into space, he was telepathically eavesdropping on them (in the present). Maybe he and/or Stormwatch have advance notice on something coming and the League needs to prepared to handle it ?
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 92 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:52 pm

avengingtitan wrote:Winick doesnt have a middle ground like most writers. He either SUCKS or is AWESOME.

i totally agree with this. loved his batman and jli. loathed his gl and ga

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 303 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:17 pm

I had to look at this to see what all the fuss is about.

It's like Johns it trying to copy Mark Millar's Ultimates style of dialogue while mixing it with fanservice. Badly.

Sasher McSmasher
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 600 posts
Title: I'm a Paul Heyman Guy.
Formerly: T-Rex

Postby Sasher McSmasher » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:56 pm

I wanted to love this book. Then things turned to me just wanting to at least like the book. Now I am not even sure if I am even going to keep reading this book. I mainly jumped on board because normally I enjoy Geoff Johns and I love Jim Lee. Well Lee was great for the first few issues, now we have had two fill ins one was good the other was serviceable and I am not sure when Lee is coming back for sure or for how long.

My biggest problem with this book though is that nothing has really happened. The first 6 issues of the team coming together to me really didn't bring anything together, it was more or less a 6 issues origin story for Cyborg that could have been told in a couple panels for as the effort that was put into it. Introducing Darkseid and he clan was just the same, there was nothing there but a flash in the pan overview of the events.

The little tease of Martian Manhunter seems like it have greater implications I'm sure but will it take another year of shit stories for it to pay off. I am all for big stories that last over months and even years but there has to be something there to keep me hooked and thus far this book has failed miserably at keeping my interest on any level.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:34 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:
Yeah, that's what I'm guessing. Mary does look a lot like Billy's mom in that pic he has. IIRC, even back in the original story in the Golden Age, Billy and Mary had been separated sometime after birth. Years later when they met they didn't realize that they were brother and sister right away.

You've got to remember that twins of the opposite sex can't be identical. They'll always be fraternal.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Dragavon
Podcaster

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Married
Formerly: Ben Reilly

Postby Dragavon » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:43 pm

Tee-Roy'd wrote:I wanted to love this book. Then things turned to me just wanting to at least like the book. Now I am not even sure if I am even going to keep reading this book. I mainly jumped on board because normally I enjoy Geoff Johns and I love Jim Lee. Well Lee was great for the first few issues, now we have had two fill ins one was good the other was serviceable and I am not sure when Lee is coming back for sure or for how long.

My biggest problem with this book though is that nothing has really happened. The first 6 issues of the team coming together to me really didn't bring anything together, it was more or less a 6 issues origin story for Cyborg that could have been told in a couple panels for as the effort that was put into it. Introducing Darkseid and he clan was just the same, there was nothing there but a flash in the pan overview of the events.

The little tease of Martian Manhunter seems like it have greater implications I'm sure but will it take another year of shit stories for it to pay off. I am all for big stories that last over months and even years but there has to be something there to keep me hooked and thus far this book has failed miserably at keeping my interest on any level.

Same exact thing here. I went into it going "This is going to be the best book in DC because it's Geoff Johns and Jim Lee." Eight months later, I'm reading this book out of habit.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:14 pm

Dragavon wrote:Same exact thing here. I went into it going "This is going to be the best book in DC because it's Geoff Johns and Jim Lee." Eight months later, I'm reading this book out of habit.

About the only reason to read JL now is to look for clues about what Johns' next mega-huge crossover that may or may not result in the "true" DCU coming back.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Deviant by design

Postby Lord Ice » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:24 pm

The Nacireman wrote:
About the only reason to read JL now is to look for clues about what Johns' next mega-huge crossover that may or may not result in the "true" DCU coming back.

damn your reasoning, I already have my event senses tingling about this Trinity War.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 485 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:22 am

The Nacireman wrote:
You've got to remember that twins of the opposite sex can't be identical. They'll always be fraternal.

Absolutely. Which is why even back in the Golden Age they didn't know that they were related at first. And it would still make sense then that Mary does resemble their mom.
Last edited by IvCNuB4 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1261 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:26 am

The Nacireman wrote:About the only reason to read JL now is to look for clues about what Johns' next mega-huge crossover that may or may not result in the "true" DCU coming back.

Oh, if only that were true. It is a wonderful, beautiful dream filled with better costumes and more likeable characters.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 370 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:37 am

Sakie wrote:
Oh, if only that were true. It is a wonderful, beautiful dream filled with better costumes and more likeable characters.

It would be awesome

Sasher McSmasher
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Sasher McSmasher » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:45 am

Sakie wrote:

If you really think about it though going back want really change anything, because the titles that were good before the change are still mostly good and the titles that were bad before the change are still bad.

Batman and his line up of book are as good if not better than before the DCnU took effect. Same thing can be said for the Green Lantern line.

Justice League was and had been one of DC's worst books before the change and even though it's bad right now it is no where near as bad as before.

If things went back to the way they were before we would lose really good books like Animal Man and Swamp Thing that didn't exist before the change over to DCnU.

So while yes some of the things right now are pretty crappy with DC's current line of books, but just because some are bad doesn't mean the entire line should be scrapped and then put back into the same stagnant, stale, and boring books we had before.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 637 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:15 pm

Tee-Roy'd wrote:
If you really think about it though going back want really change anything, because the titles that were good before the change are still mostly good and the titles that were bad before the change are still bad.

Batman and his line up of book are as good if not better than before the DCnU took effect. Same thing can be said for the Green Lantern line.

Justice League was and had been one of DC's worst books before the change and even though it's bad right now it is no where near as bad as before.

If things went back to the way they were before we would lose really good books like Animal Man and Swamp Thing that didn't exist before the change over to DCnU.

So while yes some of the things right now are pretty crappy with DC's current line of books, but just because some are bad doesn't mean the entire line should be scrapped and then put back into the same stagnant, stale, and boring books we had before.

I disagree on the JL comment.. Justice League of America during Robinson's run is leaps and bounds better than JL. The characters were actually likeable, and not douche bags. I seriously HATED this issue. I hate that John's is throwing those crappy Flashpoint characters into Shazam. I hate that he's pretty much made J'onn a villain in the leagues mind.. to go from the heart of the team to being, shown as an enemy really upset me. The fact that Johns has made one of the biggest opponents the league has had (Amazo) into pretty much a has been that can easily be beaten off panel irriates me.

Sasher McSmasher
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Sasher McSmasher » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:24 pm

Sitebreaker wrote:
I disagree on the JL comment.. Justice League of America during Robinson's run is leaps and bounds better than JL. The characters were actually likeable, and not douche bags. I seriously HATED this issue. I hate that John's is throwing those crappy Flashpoint characters into Shazam. I hate that he's pretty much made J'onn a villain in the leagues mind.. to go from the heart of the team to being, shown as an enemy really upset me. The fact that Johns has made one of the biggest opponents the league has had (Amazo) into pretty much a has been that can easily be beaten off panel irriates me.

I totally agree with all your points about the current Justice League book and this weeks issue was by far and away the worst. I hope that this new version of Shazam is not the Captain Planet version from Flashpoint but it looks like things could be going that way. I just however was just not a fan of Robinsons run on the League, while it featured a lot of characters I really like, I just didn't think the execution was very well done.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand