Advertisement

Justice League tropes that need to end in modern era

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 0 post
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Re: Justice League tropes that need to end in modern era

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:23 am

Herald: YOU. ARE. THE. BEST. :D

I have a question for you, though. Obviously, tropes exist because a great many writers have found them useful, and certainly the examples given in many, if not all, of these are from some of the most well-known stories and franchises around.

My question(s) are this, since you spot these things like no other: Is the fact that DC uses these repeatedly with Justice League the problem, or is it the execution that is the problem? If it is the execution, are there any particular writers who you feel could execute these very same tropes better?

Is it possible, however unlikely, to write stories without using the more established tropes, or is that something that no writer can escape?

For the record: I LOVE HOW YOU SPOTTED BATMAN AS "THE LANCER." THAT IS AWESOME. :-D :-D :-D

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Advertisement

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:59 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
He's a cheapskate, he only checks things out of the library and borrows comics from his friends.

He's on record saying he'd never pay $4 for a comic book. :lol:

That's just... bad.

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:22 am

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Herald: YOU. ARE. THE. BEST. :D

Thanks. :D

I have a question for you, though. Obviously, tropes exist because a great many writers have found them useful, and certainly the examples given in many, if not all, of these are from some of the most well-known stories and franchises around.

My question(s) are this, since you spot these things like no other: Is the fact that DC uses these repeatedly with Justice League the problem, or is it the execution that is the problem?

Repetition is usually only a good idea if you're making a point of some kind with it. But I'd say that execution is the main problem. Remember that Tropes Are Not Bad or Good, Tropes Are Tools. Even tropes that the audience tends to hate can be done well if they're well-thought out.

"The much-reviled All Just a Dream was, let's not forget, used in one of the most highly regarded series finales in the history of television, as well as one of the best twist endings in any movie."

Or, as I like to quote from the late Roger Ebert:
"It's not what the story's about, but how it's about what it's about."

If it is the execution, are there any particular writers who you feel could execute these very same tropes better?

I don't really trust the current crop of DC writers, with the exception of Gail Simone, and even she hasn't been doing so hot in the DCnU. But we've already seen those tropes done better by previous Justice League writers. Pre-DiDio Grant Morrison wrote great League stories that had Batman sneaking around behind the team's back to do his own thing. Also, Naïve Newcomer to the League Kyle Rayner was much better liked by some people in Morrison's League than in the Green Lantern solo book. And, as mentioned, "Batman created protocols to take down the rest of the team!! :shock:" was already written before, and written BETTER, by Mark Waid.

"It's not what the story's about, but how it's about what it's about."

Is it possible, however unlikely, to write stories without using the more established tropes, or is that something that no writer can escape?

Sure, we've seen characters like Animal Man and Shade the Changing Man go down oddball directions and work out great. But it gets tricky with already-popular concepts like the Justice League. Fans have certain expectations when it comes to this team, and when the book fails to live up to them through too much tampering with the concept, well, you get a Dork Age like Robinson's League or the Detroit League (as much as I personally like that team).

For the record: I LOVE HOW YOU SPOTTED BATMAN AS "THE LANCER." THAT IS AWESOME. :-D :-D :-D

:wink:

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand