Advertisement

"Killable" Wolverine/Nightwing alienation from Batman: SIGH

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 55 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

"Killable" Wolverine/Nightwing alienation from Batman: SIGH

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:05 am

You know, I get it. We all get it. You read comic books long enough, and the same old tropes just loop around to become today's fresh storylines.

It's...man. Damn it. It's just...damn it.

That's why, even though I didn't necessarily love how Marvel/Brian Michael Bendis did it with Disassembled and "No More Mutants," I gave them absolute credit for one simple thing: They made sure that, for an extended period of time, we weren't gonna see those same old tropes played out. As a result, readers got to see energized runs and interpretations of characters that led to great stories.

Again: It wasn't always smooth. But No More Mutants led to the X-Men leaving New York and heading to California/Utopia, for example, and I don't care what anyone says: The Utopia Era was the best era of X-Men comics EVER. I'm totally convinced of that.

So. What's that got to do with the thread title?

I'll start with Nightwing.

Am I the only person who is just SICK AND TIRED of the lame-assed "Oh, Dick Grayson's angry with Bruce Wayne again, so he's got to leave Gotham and be his own man? Oh, and of course, that means he's going to leave behind all the resources that Bruce Wayne has for being a better crimefighter -- because golly-gee, it's time Dick Grayson stood on his own two feet after undergoing some adversity."

FFS, DC. AGAIN WITH THIS SHIT.

I think I've been reading some variation of this story since the mid-to-late...1970s. YEAH. NOT A TYPO. FOR 35 FUCKING YEARS, I'VE READ STORIES OF DICK GRAYSON LEAVING GOTHAM CITY TO BE HIS OWN MAN.

Am I the only person, the only person alive, who wants to read, oh, I don't know, maybe even five years of stories where Batman and Nightwing...I know, this is crazy...but Batman and the first Robin, his most-trusted ally, the person he trained...ACTUALLY GOT ALONG AND WORKED TOGETHER?!?!?!?!??!

Am I the only fucking person alive who would actually pay money for a book titled "BATMAN AND NIGHTWING, WORKING TOGETHER AS A POTENT CRIMEFIGHTING TEAM, SO BATMAN DOESN'T GET HIS CRAZY ASS KILLED WHILE FIGHTING A HORDE OF CRIMINALS WHO DESPISE HIM BECAUSE HE ACTUALLY HAS BACKUP, LIKE ANYBODY WHO BELIEVES IN PREP TIME WOULD DO?"

Yeah, the title's a little long. But maybe it needs to be spelled out once in awhile.

The "Bruce Wayne and Dick Grayson: Alienated" trope is so tired. It is. It is SO FUCKING OLD. And here we go again!

It's not quite as bad with "Wolverine: Killable." Every once in awhile, people like to kill or depower the little Canadian by taking away his healing factor or adamantium, in whatever way they see fit. It hasn't happened as often Dick Grayson getting screwed over, true.

But...at the same time...Jesus.

You know, Chris Claremont actually had Wolverine dead-on. The healing factor is Wolverine's mutant power, and it's effective, but it's not what others have made it become over the years, where it's like old Logan ISN'T killable.

That's my point. Just look back at some of Claremont's stuff. If Wolverine got shot up or stabbed or had the crap kicked out of him, it took a lot out of the little Canuck. It was hard on him, and the healing took some time. It was the right interpretation.

My point about this: I'm not faulting Paul Cornell for writing a storyline called "Killable." I'm faulting Marvel for making it so that the storyline is even necessary. Wolverine should have always been killable. Muramasa Blades and other crap has never been necessary, and the tired trope I'd like to see done away with is a Wolverine that can heal from almost anything and be none the worse for wear.

Again, go back to the Claremont/Miller minseries, or, say, Uncanny X-Men 140 through 225. You'd see a Wolverine that was very "Killable." And that's where Marvel needs to be with that.

So, yeah. I haven't been around too much lately, because of the job. But if I didn't get this off my chest, I'd have exploded. As always, any thoughts are welcome, and I'll do my best to respond to them as best I can!

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

Advertisement

3MJ

Liked in: 59 posts

Re: "Killable" Wolverine/Nightwing alienation from Batman: S

Postby 3MJ » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:11 am

When you have the same characters for so many years, this happens. Unfortunately. Not much can be done once Marvel/DC stopped aging their characters.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Nightwing alienation from Batman

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:52 pm

"Nightwing is headed here (Chicago) as a result of the fallout from "Death of the Family", but more specifically the revelation that Tony Zucco is still alive, and living under an alias in Chicago," Higgins explains.
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand