Advertisement

Kirkman Continues To Destroy The Comic Book Industry By Dominating New York Times Best Sellers List

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 320 posts

Kirkman Continues To Destroy The Comic Book Industry By Dominating New York Times Best Sellers List

Postby LOLtron » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:48 pm

Along with Dark Horse and Scholastic, Image Comics continues to show people that comic books aren’t all spandex, nostalgia, and T&A.

Source: @ImageComics

With six of the top ten (seven if you count Top Cow) Image Comics, once again, dominated the Paperback Graphic Books section of the New York Times Best Sellers List. Even counting Dark Horse’s Avatar, The Last Airbender and Scholastic’s (seriously, Scholastic sold more of a trade than Marvel or DC) Smile, the lack of super-hero books on this list is startling, interesting, and refreshing. Of course the various fanboys will somehow use this to show how DC and Marvel are doing better than Image at bringing in new readers along with some sort of internet study that shows that these new readers read more single issues than trades and that just because there are numbers showing that this is not the case we should not be so dependent on such bourgeois ideas as quantitative stats.

Basically:

Marvel Zombie / DC WhateverThoseFanboysAreCalled: Shut Up!

Good job Image (and Scholastic) on your domination of a list. We know that feels good.

Written or Contributed by GHERU

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Rob Moden
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 240 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Kirkman Continues To Destroy The Comic Book Industry By Dominating New York Times Best Sellers List

Postby Rob Moden » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:03 pm

Solution: bring back Irredeemable Ant-Man.

Stalzer2002
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 41 posts

Re: Kirkman Continues To Destroy The Comic Book Industry By

Postby Stalzer2002 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:09 pm

Don't forget, Avatar and Adventure Time aren't real things because they were cartoons first! And March? Real life came first!

Supersoldier Washout
cheese

Liked in: 306 posts
Location: I can't really say. I'm currently what they call "AWOL" from S.H.I.E.L.D.
Title: Will Fight for Beer

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:55 pm

Whatever...

REAL COMIC BOOK FANS don't buy trades. We buy single issues!

Yeah, we buy the first couple of issues of a series then stop for whatever reason but when Marvel relaunches a title (again) or DC makes 3D Dasuberspectacular covers, we start strong again. It's all about spending $3 - $5 pluse whatever our local shop charges for variants covers for us. We keeps it real!

But seriously, I kinda like reading Image books in TPB form more than single issue. Especially "Morning Glories". Considering going that route, in the future.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 447 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:52 pm

I actually like trades a lot. They are a great way to catch up or read discontinued (but good) series. They are much easier to deal with than back issues. And they are easier to store than single issue (plus, since they generally hold no value past the cover price, there's no need to keep them "bagged and boarded" anyway). I still go for single-issue books for stuff I am currently collecting, that is, assuming I am current on it. And especially when I start a title on number one, I will follow it as it goes along (like Alex + Ada, or Lazarus). But for back issues, the trade is becoming my medium of choice. It's still print, which for some reason I prefer to digital slightly (though digital does have certain advantages), but it's more amenable to back-issue collecting.

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 48 posts

Postby AngusH » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:58 pm

I'm at a cross-road on formats right now. Buying single issues for current series and older series in trade, but I find I enjoy reading trades more because I just find them easier to read and prefer to read a chunk of story at a time. It's also cheaper, and uses less space. I also like digital (I started on digital 2 years ago before switching to 'real' comics), and the format looks great on a tablet. I just don't like paying the same price to rent a book as I do to own it. Once they stop worrying about hurting vendors and drop the price to iTune-ish prices, I can see myself adopting it pretty quickly again, and then probably trade/HC collecting my favourite books only.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 303 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:14 pm

LOLtron wrote:With six of the top ten (seven if you count Top Cow) Image Comics, once again, dominated the Paperback Graphic Books section of the New York Times Best Sellers List. Even counting Dark Horse’s Avatar, The Last Airbender and Scholastic’s (seriously, Scholastic sold more of a trade than Marvel or DC) Smile, the lack of super-hero books on this list is startling, interesting, and refreshing.

According to Image Publisher Eric Stephenson

We talk about being obsessed with expanding our audience, but if publishing lesser versions of people’s favorite cartoons, toys, and TV shows is the best we can do, then we are doomed to failure.

Simply reframing work from other media as comic books is the absolute worst representation of comics.

We can invite readers to innovate with us, but repurposing someone else’s ideas as comic books isn’t innovation – at best, it’s imitation, and we are all so much better than that.

New creativity that is native to comics is what makes this industry stronger. It shows what comics do, what comics can BE.

People like you are part of the problem. Good job on killing the comic industry you jerk :smt013

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1053 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:17 pm

AngusH wrote:I'm at a cross-road on formats right now. Buying single issues for current series and older series in trade, but I find I enjoy reading trades more because I just find them easier to read and prefer to read a chunk of story at a time. It's also cheaper, and uses less space. I also like digital (I started on digital 2 years ago before switching to 'real' comics), and the format looks great on a tablet. I just don't like paying the same price to rent a book as I do to own it. Once they stop worrying about hurting vendors and drop the price to iTune-ish prices, I can see myself adopting it pretty quickly again, and then probably trade/HC collecting my favourite books only.

Image offers its digital comics from its own website DRM free.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 303 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:01 pm

So now that the Bass has been deleted is Kirkamania running wild? We've so far had these threads this month:

Image Belligerently Continues to Pump Out Exciting New Series With Original Concepts
Image Publisher Pwns Corporate Comics in ComicsPro Speech

Sellouts :-(

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 151 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:48 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:So now that the Bass has been deleted is Kirkamania running wild? We've so far had these threads this month:

Image Belligerently Continues to Pump Out Exciting New Series With Original Concepts
Image Publisher Pwns Corporate Comics in ComicsPro Speech

Sellouts :-(

I miss that crazy motherfucker. :cry:

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 370 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:03 pm

oogy wrote:I miss that crazy motherfucker. :cry:

I know right. He was a loopy bastard but he was funny.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:24 pm

The Bass got the boot???

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 151 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:00 pm

alaska1125 wrote:The Bass got the boot???

The bat got his knickers in a twist and booted him. :smt011

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:13 pm

oogy wrote:The bat got his knickers in a twist and booted him. :smt011

Huh. Was it somehow crazier than normal? It's hard to imagine.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:21 pm

oogy wrote:The bat got his knickers in a twist and booted him. :smt011

In all fairness he really did have it coming.

I wish I had bookmarked the thread.....sigh, the memories...

Hab

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand