Advertisement

I Kissed Letter 44, and I'm Not Ashamed

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 276 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:30 pm

3 reasons why Letter 44 f'n rocks.

Source: Oni

A few months back, I got my hands on Letter 44 #1, a political sci-fi thriller, and for the next few months, I was angry. I was angry because we weren’t getting review copies from Oni & I kept forgetting about it when I went to my local comic book store, Heroes Aren’t Hard to Find. So last week, I bought the issues I was missing, and was not only NOT disappointed, I was literally taking the comic and banging it on my head, saying “This. Is. So. Good!” I mean, this is why I buy comics. I’m not saying it’s the best thing on the market, I’m just saying I loved it, and I’ll give you 3 reasons why.

First of all, it’s smart. Issue #2 took the reader through a logical thought process of a high-ranking government consultant, advising the President on the nature of the proximity and presence of an unknown species just hanging out in space. Since it seems they are observing us, what does that mean? What would their intentions be? What possible conclusions can be drawn? I felt smarter just reading it. Not sure if it took, but y’know. It’s cool. 

Secondly, the art. Alberto Jimenez Alburquerque not only tests my name spelling limits, but also the boundaries of the status quo. It’s not exactly like artists Matteo Scalera and Dean White’s Black Science, it’s a little more glossy and less gritty, but it’s still damn pretty. Dan Jackson’s colors are rich, but you wouldn’t really pay all that much attention until the end of issue #4. Maybe I’m just eccentric, but my jaw dropped at the end of that issue, I couldn’t believe what they just stepped into; it was an entire landscape filled with outlandish creatures. Such a pretty panel. It was of course a cliff-hanger that I had to sit on for a few days until issue #5 came out. 

When issue #5 came out, I knew this series would just keep on keeping on as far as quality and depth, which is the third reason why I’m really digging this comic. I appreciate some of the things writer Charles Soule is doing in this issue. President Blades is becoming such a cool character. Leave it to fiction to be the only way to respect a politician. Presi Blades doesn’t even kill off or fire Mitchner, his chief of staff whom he knows secretly betrayed him. He just sent him on a pointless, long mission. Tact. The man showed tact, which is a nice thing to see when it’s not in a boy scout super-hero package. 

Soule, an attorney, really has only surfaced as a comic book writer in 2013, but he’s taking on InhumansSwamp ThingThunderbolts and more. No doubt the comic industry seems to be realizing this man’s talent. But can I just say that Oni surprised the hell out of me with this comic? Honestly, I wasn’t paying them all that much attention, but now I started looking into them and I didn’t realize how much great stuff they have going on. I went and read their new series The Auter and they really are living up to their slogan, “Revolutionize Comics.” It was weird, scary, colorful, funny, and captivating. To be honest, had I years upon years of childhood comic reading, I may have already known this about Oni. But as an adult, it’s way cooler to find out what Oni is doing differently. Needless to say, I won’t be ignoring them anymore.

I highly suggest buying at least issue #1.

Written or Contributed by Luke Anthony

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 952 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: I Kissed Letter 44, and I'm Not Ashamed

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:29 am

Oni also publishes the Sixth Gun, which is like the best comic ever. Also, they did Scott Pilgrim, which rules (fuck you if you disagree). Also, I accidentally deleted the other comments thread when trying to dedupe this article so hopefully Chessack (or was that Chesscub) will repost their comment. :)

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 7 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:45 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Oni also publishes the Sixth Gun, which is like the best comic ever. Also, they did Scott Pilgrim, which rules (fuck you if you disagree). Also, I accidentally deleted the other comments thread when trying to dedupe this article so hopefully Chessack (or was that Chesscub) will repost their comment. :)

Suuuure you deleted my comment "accidentally" :smt013 :P

As I was saying, if you can find it, check it out. Issue 1 is only $1. It's a really good story.

My shop did a variant for it so if you can't find it at your shop, let me know and I'll check for you.

HNutz likes this post.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:46 am

Chesscub wrote:
Suuuure you deleted my comment "accidentally" :smt013 :P

As I was saying, if you can find it, check it out. Issue 1 is only $1. It's a really good story.

My shop did a variant for it so if you can't find it at your shop, let me know and I'll check for you.

Woohoo! All is right in the world again.

Luke Anthony
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 195 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: I Kissed Letter 44, and I'm Not Ashamed

Postby Luke Anthony » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:02 pm

Issue 1 was a buck? Man I haven't found issue 1 anywhere, but especially for a dollar. But Jude, I did look into the Sixth Gun, and it was pretty swell. It felt similar East of West, but obviously has been going on wayyyy longer. I'll keep reading it, but truthfully I'm pumped about The Auter it looks weird & awesome. I may review it soon as well.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Re: RE: I Kissed Letter 44, and I'm Not Ashamed

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:12 pm

FBtron wrote:Issue 1 was a buck? Man I haven't found issue 1 anywhere, but especially for a dollar. But Jude, I did look into the Sixth Gun, and it was pretty swell. It felt similar East of West, but obviously has been going on wayyyy longer. I'll keep reading it, but truthfully I'm pumped about The Auter it looks weird & awesome. I may review it soon as well.

The Sixth Gun is the best! I haven't read East of West, but the Sixth Gun is great because it blends the horror and supernatural genres with the western so well. Does East of West have horror elements?
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

HNutz likes this post.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 127 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:39 pm

I grabbed a #1 of this and really liked it. Unfortunately, my shop has sold out of every issue since before they even hit the shelf.

I'm now trade waiting it.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

LukeAnthony
A Quagmire

Liked in: 1 post

Postby LukeAnthony » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:38 am

East of West definitely has Horror elements, honestly I can get confused between East of West, Pretty Deadly & now the Sixth Gun, because the Western-themed genre blend tends to overlap in my mind. So far I really like all 3 of them, just haven't got into the Sixth Gun that much yet.

Oogy - I think trade waiting is a good idea if you can't get the current issues, but this is one of the few times I prefer single issues, it's just really well done. I want this series to last, and every time I get a trade I read it in one sitting, which is kind of like chugging a slushie. You can't really enjoy it on brain-freeze/brain-overload.

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:37 am

I just read the 8 issues last night/this morning. It was pretty great. I'm almost upset I didn't discover this series 30 issues later now I am stuck waiting another month for the next issue.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

LukeAnthony likes this post.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 706 posts

Re: RE: I Kissed Letter 44, and I'm Not Ashamed

Postby HNutz » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:31 am

FBtron wrote:Issue 1 was a buck? Man I haven't found issue 1 anywhere, but especially for a dollar. But Jude, I did look into the Sixth Gun, and it was pretty swell. It felt similar East of West, but obviously has been going on wayyyy longer. I'll keep reading it, but truthfully I'm pumped about The Auter it looks weird & awesome. I may review it soon as well.

The Sixth Gun is a great read & an awesome concept! It's definitely one to collect in trade!

LukeAnthony likes this post.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand