Advertisement

It's Like Watching the Sunset. Pretty Deadly #1 Review

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 319 posts

Postby LOLtron » Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:00 am

DeConnick and Rios deliver the debut issue of their new Western/Fantasy title.

The debut issue of Pretty Deadly is finally here, and it's a great effort from Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios. This title is a blend of the western and fantasy genres, and they work surprisingly well together. The characters are immediately interesting and likeable, with the atmosphere feeling very refreshing and new. There's been a lot of buzz surrounding this title and it lives up to the hype.

First off, this book is ridiculously beautiful. Emma Rios does a great job of melding the fantasy and western aspects of the book together without letting either stand at the forefront. The colors are very fitting and pleasing to the eye, and much of the issue it's like watching a sunset, with bright yellows and pinks slowly transitioning into blacks accompanied by darker, muted colors. The change in colors is a great way of following the progression of the story in this first issue and had me begging for more.

Kelly Sue DeConnick has really piqued my interest with this first issue. I'm a sucker for westerns, and she has completely grasped the genre and turned it into something awesome with the fantasy aspect. The story opens with a folk tale about Deathface Ginny, and it's both narratively and artistically stunning. The choice of wording and the layout of the pages is superb. The rest of the issue is great as well, and I have zero to little complaints at this time.

I want to point out with the comic industry being very male-dominated, it's great to see such a big, buzzed about title, of such great quality, from the team of DeConnick and Rios. They're two very talented women and I think their work on this title is going to garner much attention and praise in the coming months.

Pretty Deadly's first issue is full of quality and promise. DeConnick and Rios have put together a stellar start to their series. This is a book everyone should pick up, because I think it's only going to get better as Pretty Deadly's world continues to open up.

Verdict: 9.5/10

Written or Contributed by Radd Roberson

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

So we should probably talk about Pretty Deadly #1

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:51 pm

Not really going over the stuff on Bleeding Cool and the whole ripping up the issue but, this comic was terrible. It was pretty but, man was it bad. It made no sense, not too much actual plot or character development. It didn't help that we were introduced to a world of about 20 something characters and only 5 of them have names. I will not be reading issue 2 and I don't recommend anyone else do it either.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1046 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: So we should probably talk about Pretty Deadly #1

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:01 pm

I've been looking forward to it but haven't read it yet due to being on that trip to Boston. Hope to get to it this weekend. I'll be really surprised if it's bad, as I've enjoyed Kelly Sue Deconnick's work on other stuff and I like Westerns. We'll see. Needless to say, my opinion will be the correct one.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:22 pm

I didn't get to a comics shop this week, so I didn't even flip through it. I found all the BC overreaction amusing, but I attribute that to a) people really hate that Cannibal Tatu guy, and b) comics readers hold comic books in some kind of mythical regard, discounting the fact that they are by-and-large cheap(ish), disposable reproductions we are compelled to give an almost silly amount of care to. Bags, boards, boxes..

Suppose he had held up an iPad and deleted the digital file in disgust, would the reaction have been as absurd?

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 270 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:29 pm

If Hannibal Tabu thinks it's the worst thing ever, it's guaranteed to be good.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:32 pm

I don't really know his tastes, he's a CBR reviewer?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:39 pm

Turns out the shop owner ripped a copy of Scarlet #1 in half too.

@tropicalsteve: Think he'd have ripped it up if written by a man?

He ripped up "Scarlet" #1, so I'd say, "yes."

So I'm much less inclined to question the store owner's recommendations. :lol:

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:50 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I didn't get to a comics shop this week, so I didn't even flip through it. I found all the BC overreaction amusing, but I attribute that to a) people really hate that Cannibal Tatu guy, and b) comics readers hold comic books in some kind of mythical regard, discounting the fact that they are by-and-large cheap(ish), disposable reproductions we are compelled to give an almost silly amount of care to. Bags, boards, boxes..

Suppose he had held up an iPad and deleted the digital file in disgust, would the reaction have been as absurd?

Is it offensively bad? Not even close. It's just not good is all. It has lots of threads but no real directions. I don't understand the hate but, I for one did not enjoy it at all.

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I've been looking forward to it but haven't read it yet due to being on that trip to Boston. Hope to get to it this weekend. I'll be really surprised if it's bad, as I've enjoyed Kelly Sue Deconnick's work on other stuff and I like Westerns. We'll see. Needless to say, my opinion will be the correct one.

The closest, uncloses thing I can compare it to is East to West which is another recent western comic and that's the only reason I can even compare it is another strongish western, but a very good western though with a mostly straight ahead story.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:55 pm

Yeah, I didn't really like this much too, the art was fantastic, but the story was confusing. More on it later, but I think people have gotten caught up in a wave of hype, it's another Image #1, and it's an all-female creative team (except the letterer) with a female lead, in a traditionally male genre. For some people, they won't want to criticise it, because it might seem sexist, or hurt the feminist cause. Hell, the shop owner who ripped it up was accused of misogyny, when there's no indication of it at all.

I like DeConnick, but this wasn't the best first issue, it could be a good series, just needs to work out some kinks.

As I said, full review in a bit.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 270 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:00 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:I don't really know his tastes, he's a CBR reviewer?

He's a huge dick. His schtick is that he goes to that LCS and reads through every book released each week, then reviews them. The best ones make it to his buy pile, the rest are in either the pile for those that were ok but not good enough, the 'meh' pile or the pile called 'no... just no.' And with the exception of Fables, which he digs, he is uniformly wrong. About everything. And God forbid something bad happens to a black character, because if it does he will howl 'racism' no matter what.

On top of that, he's a truly shitty writer.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:08 pm

nietoperz wrote:
He's a huge dick. His schtick is that he goes to that LCS and reads through every book released each week, then reviews them. The best ones make it to his buy pile, the rest are in either the pile for those that were ok but not good enough, the 'meh' pile or the pile called 'no... just no.' And with the exception of Fables, which he digs, he is uniformly wrong. About everything. And God forbid something bad happens to a black character, because if it does he will howl 'racism' no matter what.

On top of that, he's a truly shitty writer.

Ah yeah, I remember him after I checked his twitters. I haven't read that column in a long, long time.

We could all probably do our own columns with those same headings and people would disagree too, I know they would with mine at least! :lol:

But even if he's a dick, he wasn't the one ripping up the comic or claiming it was one of the worst ever although he did agree to not like it. The shop owner apologized and seemed to have meant that to be sort of off the record, but maybe the two of them weren't clear on that.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Here's my full review y'all...

--

This new Western series from Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios should be right up my alley. It’s a Western, and I love Westerns, and I also enjoy DeConnick’s work for Marvel, and the previous collaboration between her and Rios, ‘Osborn’ was excellent and it’s been praised by many other reviewers and comics professionals. However, I have to admit that I did find this first issue a little bit disappointing. Now, I wouldn’t go as far as to rip up my copy, but apart from the fantastic art from Rios, I wasn’t really feeling this.

I am willing to give it a chance though, because I get the sense that the story DeConnick is trying to tell hasn’t really started yet, and that’s because the main character of Ginny doesn’t actually appear until the last page. Instead, the main story here focuses on Fox and Sissy, two mysterious wandering travelers who run into trouble. They arrive in a town, and tell the story of Ginny, the daughter of death for money. I did like this sequence, most of the time I roll my eyes when comics try and do poetry, but I think DeConnick did a better job than most here, and it’s the sequence that best showcases the melding of art and story, with the intriguing Tarot cards.

The problem with this issue comes from the number of characters introduced, and the fact that they aren’t really fleshed out. There’s Fox and Sissy, some creepy ginger dude, a huge woman called Big Alice, a black family, and more. It’s not clear who these people are, and what they have to do with Ginny at all. To make things even more confusing, when Fox and Sissy meet up with their partners out in the desert, they shoot at each other, making me at least think they were enemies. So, a few pages later, when they are all sitting round the same campfire, it was rather disconcerting. I suppose DeConnick is going for a dream-like, lyrical feel here, and the framing device and narrations of ‘Bunny’ and ‘Butterfly’ show that a lot, but instead of finding this muddiness appealing, it just jarred. This issue basically plunged us too much into a world and setting, and didn’t explain enough about it.

I will continue to read it, because I am intrigued by what’s going on, and the final page of Ginny appearing was actually a decent cliffhanger, but this title is certainly not great just yet. I get the feeling some people are just praising every Image Comic with a #1 on it these days, because their track record has been so strong. This was not the best first issue, but it could very well be a good series.

As I mentioned, what was good was Rios’ art, which was spectacular. I’ve always liked her, but this is her best work yet, and Jordie Bellaire, who because it rhymes I have to call a ‘colourist extraordinaire’ once again provides fantastic colours. With Western stories, colour and landscape is all-important, and Rios and Bellaire deliver. I think if you’re interested in this book, it might be better to wait for the trade. Sometimes mystery and unexplained characters can hook you, and sometimes it can just confuse, and here, it confuses. Let’s hope answers and clarity are forthcoming.

--

I think that's pretty accurate.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:27 pm

Hmm, I want to read it because of all this pretend-controversy, but nothing in your review serves to further my resolve to do so.

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 68 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:49 pm

Kelly Sue DeConnick is awful. She's in Zeb Wells territory.

Also, nepotism at its finest.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:59 pm

HARSH!

I have an uninformed opinion on this one. Please elaborate.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand