Advertisement

2/16/09 LITG

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

2/16/09 LITG

Postby GLX » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:25 pm

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 882 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: cyclone, Chili con Blarney

Postby outsider » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:34 pm

That Robotman design is just... I dunno... not bad but not extraordinary?
-

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 296 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:36 pm

Damn here I was hoping for Fab and Bagley to be on Batman and Robin. Hmm.. I guess then Fab's working on Red Robin. Gotta be if it's Tim Drake.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 110 posts

Postby PDH » Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:08 pm

Loved the link to the forum with everybody discussing their favourite works.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 841 posts

Postby HNutz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:01 pm

I thought this was particularly funny.

LITG wrote:Marvel don't have a great history when it comes to accuracy in promotion regarding "Black Panther." Famously one lauded the character as the first African-American superhero while a back cover blurb rewrote an Ain't It Cool quote.

Well they're up to it again. A recent press release for "Black Panther" #1 includes the following quotes:

"Ken Lashley brings a very sleek, sexy look to the series" – Jesse Schedeen, IGN.com

Despite the actual review listing it "Poor." Still, the quote was accurate.

As was the next quote:

"…it has become a mainstay in my household — one of the few monthlies to which we all look forward." - Jared Gardner guttergeek.com

But sadly, it’s from two years ago.

Another quote:

"Hudlin is responsible for some of the greatest success of the Black Panther" -atomiccomics.com

Isn't even from a review but an introductory compliment in a months old interview. And:

"…down to earth and enjoyable" – Kurt Taylor Lane/Kevin Powers Comicsbulletin.com

This is from a longer paragraph:

"The standard formula for talking with Namor usually consists of someone needing his help, he remarks how he's better than the surface dwellers, and it all ends up resolving itself. Here, the friendship between Namor and T'Challa resonates with diplomacy and truth. Namor's reasoning for him and Doom allying with Osborn is realistic, and I was glad to learn that it's not some far-fetched scheme to control the world. It's a practical power move on the part of these two monarchs, making it more down to earth and enjoyable for me."

Which isn't actually describing the comic.

Here's the article mentioned above.

Black Panther Vol. 5 #1 Review
A new Black Panther series kicks off with... a new Black Panther.
by Jesse Schedeen
February 4, 2009 - By now we've all grown accustomed to what Mike Carey referred to as "the zeitgeist". That is, the widespread and almost inexplicable trend of gender-reversal among popular Marvel characters. Just in the past year we've met the likes of Miss Sinister, Lady Bullseye, and the mostly female Loki. These revamps have met with varying levels of success, but I fortunately have never been left with the impression that their respective writers were treating them like mere cash-cows.

However, then we come to the all-new, all-female Black Panther. I've made no secret of the fact that the most recent volume of Black Panther offended several of my senses, usually at the same time. Despite the fact that T'Challa is my favorite Marvel character, I couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief when Vol. 4 was finally canceled. However, deep down I knew I was merely witnessing the eye of the hurricane. Black Panther is like Hulk in the sense that it continue to sell well completely regardless of it lack of quality. Black Panther Vol. 5 now rears its head and reminds me of that old line from The Who:

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."

Yup, this is strictly business as usual. With writer Reginald Hudlin still at the helm, all of the same flaws inherent to the old stories are still very much apparent. That means plenty of stilted, "Oh my god, I can't believe even a comic book character would say that"-style dialogue. That means a continued ignorance of story element that actually matter in favor of fluff. The only real difference now is that T'Challa is no longer Hudlin's personal Molly Sue. He doesn't save the world with a drawer-full of vibranium and a stupid one-liner. That's because T'Challa is being taken out of the picture to make room for the new Panther.

The premise behind this relaunch is that an attempted assassination leaves T'Challa out of the picture. But Wakanda will always need a Black Panther. We've seen several teaser adds that suggest everyone from Storm to Shuri to Echo might be next to don the black tights. However, issue #1 offers no hint as to who might be next in line. Instead, Hudlin wastes an inordinate amount of time establishing what went down before the attack on T'Challa. Never am I left with the impression that a full half of the book needs to be devoted to flashbacks. It's enough to establish T'Challa is hurt and move on from there. The most we learn this issue is that a new Black Panther must be chosen. Based on the current rate of progress, I would expect the new Panther to show up around issue #5, with the actual reveal coming sometime in 2010.

The previous volume had a talent of attracting talented artists. Ken Lashley brings a very sleek, sexy look to the series, whether he's rendering the grieving women of the Panther family or the impressively-muscled Namor. Lashley's work bears no small resemblance to that of Ed Benes, in fact. However, while his pencils impress at a glance, they don't really hold up to further inspection. His anatomy leaves something to be desired, and characters lack the same dynamic poses that Benes is so easily capable of. Black Panther impresses on a very superficial level, but the overall quality of storytelling is a severe step down from what we saw in the last few issues of Vol. 4. I wouldn't mind seeing Jefte Palo make a return visit if he ever decides to leave Moon Knight.

Not that this should come as much of a surprise, but Black Panther has changed very little in its latest transition. The series is still plagued by an overly simplistic and often aggravating portrayal of its characters. With a less than compelling mystery that will likely persist for many months to come, I see no reason to get excited at the prospect of more Black Panther. This long-term fan continues to pine for the good old days.

http://comics.ign.com/articles/951/951150p1.html

HA!

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand