Advertisement

Loki: Agent Of Asgard #1 (Bass fishing simulator Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Loki: Agent Of Asgard #1 (Bass fishing simulator Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:54 am

I guess you could count me as one of those people who is baffled by the recent rise in popularity of Loki. I’ve always liked him as a villain, and Tom Hiddleston’s performance was definitely the best part of the first Thor film, but viewing him as a hero? Giving him his own title? Making him some kind of sex symbol? That just makes no sense. So then, why am I buying this title? Well, it’s mostly down to the writer, Al Ewing his just a great writer, from his 2000 AD work (everyone, read Zombo now!) through to the current run of Mighty Avengers, he always delivers and entertains, so I decided to pick this up. I was worried that this title would be a continuation of Young Avengers and be too focused on the Tumblr-crowd, but not to fear, apart from one awkward reference to slash-fiction, Ewing seems to actually want to write a story, rather than just inspire gif-sets.

This was a very fun opening issue that sets the stage for what should be an enjoyable, unique series. It grabs you from the very first page in fact, as it opens with a splash of Loki literally stabbing Thor in the back. He says he knows what he’s doing, but does he? This opening arc is called ‘Trust Me’, and for Loki as a character, that’s perhaps the most important factor, can anyone trust him, and should they? After this stabby opener, Ewing flashes back to earlier in the day, with Loki taking a shower, and then being given a mission by the All-Mother. We don’t learn what the mission is, but we soon see that it involves breaking into Avengers Tower. I really liked Ewing’s description about what magic is (taking a thought and making it real) and also how he put that magic to good use as espionage gear. Loki has magic boots that allow him to walk up walls, and he has an invisibility coat. This series is a strange mix of fantasy and spy story, and already you can see just how well those two genres can mix. I already kind of want a crossover between this book and Black Widow.

Loki’s mission quickly goes wrong as Thor (who is busy getting drunk) smells him, and chucks his hammer at him, causing him to fall right past Black Widow and Hawkeye, who are playing video-games. Hawkeye saves Loki from his fall using a grappling hook arrow, but it’s only to bring him in for questioning. Ewing provides a nice quick recap of the fact that Loki is the villain who accidentally caused the Avengers to form, and then it’s on to the interrogation. The Big Three show up, wanting to know just why Loki is here, and he deftly manipulates them by telling Thor that Iron Man never actually destroyed the DNA he used to create Ragnarok during Civil War, and cause the Avengers to fight each other. I loved the fact that Ewing brought up Ragnarok and Civil War here, as those events do seem to have been conveniently forgotten by a lot of writers, and it’s the perfect choice to sow discord amongst Earth’s Mightiest Heroes. Hawkeye tries to stop Loki from escaping, but the Loki he sees is an illusion cast over Bruce Banner, who is understandably not happy to have an arrow in his shoulder, and Hulks the fuck up, giving Loki even more time to do what he came to do.

It looks like what he came to do is access the Avengers’ database (and therefore basically every other database in the world) and erase all information they have on the previous Loki, which he does, but as soon as he’s finished, the Avengers have stopped fighting, and confront him once again. It’s here that Thor’s angry nature becomes more pronounced, saying that he plans to kill Loki. The biggest hint that something is up with Thor is that Mjolnir is too heavy for him, and it’s here that the stabbing happens, and the real purpose of Loki’s mission is revealed.

Already weakened by Malekith in his own title, Thor has been corrupted by some mysterious black goop that is turning him evil and crazy. The All-Mother have dispatched Loki to save his basically, and he does so, as the magic sword ‘Gram’ sucks all the evil out and into a convenient jar. Thor and Loki reconcile, and Loki returns to his mothers. We find out that Loki’s desire to escape his past goes beyond the mortal realm, and that his reason for becoming the ‘Agent Of Asgard’ is that, for every successful mission, the All-Mother will purge the memory of one of Old Loki’s misdeeds from Asgard’s history. Loki is literally trying to become a new man, and it’s a great set-up for this series. But unfortunately, it won’t be that easy, as once Loki leaves, the All-Mother opens the jar of evil goop, which reveals itself to be… Old Loki! I’m guessing he’s not taking too kindly to being removed from history.

Overall, this was a great first issue, the character of Loki is well-written and not nearly as annoying as he was in Young Avengers, the tone is fun and clever, and the idea behind why Loki is now a quasi-hero makes sense. Lee Garbett’s art was also very good, he imbues Loki with a lot of personality and nails the more comedic moments perfectly. I may not get the rise of Loki right now, but I think Ewing and Garbett are going to make me understand. I trust them. Or do I?

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1010 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Re: Loki: Agent Of Asgard #1 (Bass fishing simulator Spoiler

Postby Grayson » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:29 am

I really didn't have any plans to pick up this book but you made it sound really interesting. Since I haven't been to my LCS this week, I may pick up a copy if they have one in stock.
ImageImageImage

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 105 posts

Postby misac » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:06 pm

I guess you could count me as one of those people who is baffled by the recent rise in popularity of Loki. I’ve always liked him as a villain, and Tom Hiddleston’s performance was definitely the best part of the first Thor film,

That’s why he’s popular, he was great in the movies and he’s been featured prominently in comics for a few years.

I’ll probably try the trade.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 171 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:01 pm

Grayson wrote:I really didn't have any plans to pick up this book but you made it sound really interesting. Since I haven't been to my LCS this week, I may pick up a copy if they have one in stock.

I loved it. hands down the best non-Lazarus book I read this week.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Pizza Dog
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 352 posts
Title: Awesomesauce
Formerly: Coach_Carebear

Postby Pizza Dog » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:11 pm

I picked this up Today. Wasn't planning on buying it but I was in the Comic Store and though "Why the hell not".

So glad I did. Really enjoyed it. Nice little set up at the end for issues to come :-D :-D

Although I cant help but read Loki's parts, in my head, in Hiddles' voice. :|
Events been to:

SFX Weekender 3 - Sci-Fi Weekender 4 & 5 - Kapow! '12 - Leeds Comic Con '11, '12 & '13 - Skottie Young Signing Tour '13 - Newcastle Film and Comic Con '14 - London Film and Comic Con '14

Events going to:

Leeds Comic Con '14 - Sci-Fi Weekender 6 - Newcastle Film & Comic Con '15 - Nine Worlds '15

Pizza Dog
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 352 posts
Title: Awesomesauce
Formerly: Coach_Carebear

Postby Pizza Dog » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:26 pm

Damn! :?

Just found out Al Ewing was doing signings Yesterday (Friday) in York. :-(
Events been to:

SFX Weekender 3 - Sci-Fi Weekender 4 & 5 - Kapow! '12 - Leeds Comic Con '11, '12 & '13 - Skottie Young Signing Tour '13 - Newcastle Film and Comic Con '14 - London Film and Comic Con '14

Events going to:

Leeds Comic Con '14 - Sci-Fi Weekender 6 - Newcastle Film & Comic Con '15 - Nine Worlds '15

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 213 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:34 pm

Actually sounds fun. Might have to pick next week.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1010 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:43 pm

My LCS did have a couple of copies left, so I picked one up and I am glad that I did. Loki: Agent of Asgard showed a lot of promise in it's debut issue. Yes, this comic really plays off of the popularity that Loki has gained through Tom Hiddleston's incredible performance as the character but that's not to say that this book is simply rehashing plot lines from the movies. Instead "Agent of Asgard" really plays with the concept of what it means to be the god of mischief. Even the very first page of this book is a giant misdirect from what is really happening in the story. Just because Loki is on the path to redemption doesn't mean that he can simply go to the Avengers and say "Look guy, I know I have done some really bad stuff to you in the past but Thor has an icky black goo inside of him that is contaminating his mind and I need to skewer him with my sword so that the evil can be absorbed and placed inside of a tiny jar that I made." There is no way that they would have trusted him. Instead, Loki is forced to use his mischievous tricks and it really creates a lot of great moments and a lot of fun along the way.

The only thing that confused me was the ending of this issue. I mean, I understand what happened but I was under the impression that the current version of Loki, despite being stuck in a teenage body, was the real Loki due to what happened to Kid Loki at the end of his run in Journey into Mystery.

chap22 wrote:I loved it. hands down the best non-Lazarus book I read this week.

I wouldn't say that it was the best book that I read this week but it was certainly at the top of the list. Definitely this week's best Marvel book hands down and an instant add to my pull list.
ImageImageImage

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 171 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:37 pm

Grayson wrote:
I wouldn't say that it was the best book that I read this week but it was certainly at the top of the list. Definitely this week's best Marvel book hands down and an instant add to my pull list.

honestly, a lot of that was due to the fact that most of what I read this week was mediocre to shitty. but I still thought it was very, very good.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:22 pm

This was a very fun read. Wish it were longer.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 34 posts

Postby AngusH » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:24 pm

Along with Ms. Marvel, another nice surprise from Marvel.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:09 pm

Haven't read much from Ewing, but what I have read was great.

Maybe I should buy Loki.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 136 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:44 am

Having not read Punisher yet, both this and Ms. Marvel were real positive surprises.

Really curious and interested to see where things head for young Loki. I also really enjoy his relationship with Thor, I feel like it's similar to what Herc and Amadeus Cho had.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand