Advertisement

A Look Back at...Daredevil: Yellow

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 322 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:42 am

After Matt Murdock's father is murdered in the streets of Hell's Kitchen, he takes to the skies as newly formed acrobatic hero Daredevil.

Origin stories in comic books are a dime a dozen. If you count the number of times a certain superhero's origin has been told, you'll probably confuse yourself before finding the correct answer. Daredevil: Yellow is a different type of origin, however. Written by Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale, who also wrote two other color influenced books, Spider-Man: Blue and Hulk: Grey, this version of Daredevil’s origin is fun and balanced with originality.

What makes Daredevil: Yellow such an amazing experience isn’t really the origin part of the story. Here we have Matt Murdock, blinded again by an accident, but this time he takes an instant influence from his father. Matt’s dad, Jack Murdock, boxes under the name Battling Jack Murdock and is allegedly one of the best in the city. However, it’s revealed that Jack’s manager is fixing his matches. When Jack fights a qualifier match to take on the champion, his manager requests he take a fall. When Jack refuses, he is shot and left for dead in the streets of New York City. It’s at this point that Matt takes up the moniker of Daredevil, sews himself a suit from his dad’s old boxing robe, iconically yellow, and takes to the rooftops of his hometown to fight crime and bring his dad’s murderer to justice.

Meanwhile, Matt’s partner, Foggy, is busy trying to set up the law firm that the two friends would eventually operate together. Foggy brings in a slew of eligible candidates for their secretary. Most of them have unlikable qualities and right as they are ready to give up, Karen Page walks in the door. Karen is known in the Daredevil universe as one of Matt and Daredevil’s longest running love interests. Matt takes an interest in her instantly, but unfortunately so does Foggy. The pair spend their time during the storyline pining for her love, but are both rebuffed when Karen reveals she is to have a date one night with Daredevil himself.

The core of the storyline in Daredevil: Yellow consists of Daredevil hunting down and bringing his dad’s murderer to justice. Although that comes to fruition within the first two issues, the story on that expands into the rest of the mini-series. Throughout the series' six issues, Electro, Owl, Purple Man and even the Fantastic Four all appear. All three aforementioned villains get their own mini arc in the series, with the rest of the book focused on Matt/Daredevil and Karen’s budding relationship.

Not only is Daredevil: Yellow a fantastically fun story, its quality shines through in the internal monologue that is ever present in many of the Daredevil comics. In the first issue, Daredevil states that he is writing a letter to Karen, who has apparently passed away. He states that he thought writing a letter to her now, even though she’d never read it, might make it easier for him to move forward with his own life. It's a great framing technique, one that helps the reader understand Daredevil's motives, not only why he fights crime, but also about his feelings towards the woman he loved more than anything. Reading Daredevil's motivations and thoughts is one of the strongest part of the books, not distracting the reader even though almost half of the letters in the book is dedicated toward internal dialogue.

In the end, Daredevil: Yellow is a simple redemption story, but the key to its success is the readers' understanding of Matt Murdock and Daredevil. Through the inner monologue written by the fantastic writers, Daredevil is able to convey his feelings of loss and love for his city, his father and his gal.

Written or Contributed by Joe Toeben

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Cas
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 38 posts

Re: A Look Back at...Daredevil: Yellow

Postby Cas » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:23 pm

That yellow suit is ferociously appalling but this series is quite well worth the time for all who enjoy masterclass stories.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 857 posts

Postby HNutz » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:53 pm

Reading this and then Spider-Man: Blue made me realize how similar they are.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 330 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:51 am

HNutz wrote:Reading this and then Spider-Man: Blue made me realize how similar they are.

The characters or the stories?

I liked all of the collaborations of Loeb and Sale. Hulk: Gray wasn't too bad either.

If you haven't picked up Daredevil: Yellow, give it a whirl. It's pretty good.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:05 am

This is a great retelling of Daredevil's origin, pretty much all of the content from the early Stan Lee issues repackaged in a more easily digestible manner.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:46 am

A.R.P. wrote:That yellow suit is ferociously appalling but this series is quite well worth the time for all who enjoy masterclass stories.

again we disagree. :lol:

you shut your whore's mouth about that original DD costume. I love it! 8)
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:55 am

chap22 wrote:again we disagree. :lol:

Do you prefer it to the red? I like the yellow costume, but the red one is just so simple and iconic that I prefer it.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:11 am

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
Do you prefer it to the red? I like the yellow costume, but the red one is just so simple and iconic that I prefer it.

honestly, I do. and I have no idea why. I've just always loved the original. red one's great too though.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 151 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:52 am

A.R.P. wrote:That yellow suit is ferociously appalling but this series is quite well worth the time for all who enjoy masterclass stories.

YOU'RE FEROCIOUSLY APPALLING! :smt013

:P

I'm with Chap on this. I love the yellow suit.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:41 pm

I liked the 90s armor costume, but only as drawn by McDaniel. His chunky/blocky figures are the only art that could pull it off properly.

There, I admitted it outloud.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:44 pm

I didn't MIND the Shadowland look; I just thought it was profoundly lazy.

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 857 posts

Postby HNutz » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 pm

HNutz wrote:Reading this and then Spider-Man: Blue made me realize how similar they are.

GOSD wrote:The characters or the stories?

I liked all of the collaborations of Loeb and Sale. Hulk: Gray wasn't too bad either.

If you haven't picked up Daredevil: Yellow, give it a whirl. It's pretty good.

The stories.

The first issue of Spider-Man: Blue had too many similarities to Daredevil: Yellow to me, particularly the hook about writing a letter to a dead loved one...

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:42 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:Image

The biggest issue I had with that costume are the arrows going down the chest. Like "HERE'S MY PENIS"

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 9 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:43 pm

chap22 wrote:again we disagree. :lol:

It looks like a blind man made it. :P

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand