Advertisement

Marvel Announces New Ms. Marvel Series Starring Muslim-American Teenager

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 147 posts

Re: Marvel Announces New Ms. Marvel Series Starring Muslim-A

Postby dairydead » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:03 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:The editor who pitched it is also Muslim. Good for them for trying something new.

The trick is to make sure they don't get preachy.

This. I'm actually excited about this

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:11 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:The editor who pitched it is also Muslim.

She's awesome, too, hopefully her editorial input can help smooth over some of the writer's excesses. Still, Wilson is very popular with some people. I don't have the issues of Air anymore to re-read to see if I would still dislike them today.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 615 posts

Postby HNutz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:43 pm

bkthomson wrote:I think this looks really interesting. First, G Willow Wilson, has done some good books over at vertigo and is a solid writer. Second, I like the diversity and more likely will pick up the book based on both counts.

Also the cover reminds me from Peter David Supergirl #1

CBR agrees with this on FB.

SporkBot
cheese

Liked in: 246 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Postby SporkBot » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Punchy wrote:Interesting indeed, let's just hope they don't make her a lesbian as well, a triple-threat-minority?

To paraphrase Christopher Titus, "they don't like to hire a lot of minorities, so they try to roll them all into one!"

HNutz wrote:If it doesn't sell well though and/or gets cancelled in a year or two... will that lead to cries of racism?

Perhaps, but pretty much exclusively from idiots. Idiots that will probably cry racism because someone somewhere didn't buy it.

GOSD wrote:More political correctness.

A different time, I might've agreed. But they're making Ms. Marvel a legacy title rather than change Danvers' history. It will largely depend on the portrayal in the book.

I don't think including a woman that happens to be Muslim is being PC, especially given how many white hero characters are around. It's not like they're going to have Captain America spend an entire issue fawning over how awesome she is (like a certain female Bat did some months ago...).

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:23 pm

First I think this is just bad PR writing for the announcement and second I'll let the book decide for me how PC it really is.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Rishi Joe Sanu
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Marvel Announces New Ms. Marvel Series Starring Muslim-American Teenager

Postby Rishi Joe Sanu » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:03 pm

I remember G. Willow Wilson as the writer of The Butterfly Mosque before this

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 344 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Nov 06, 2013 1:54 am

My two cents is basically this:

Nice idea to have a female minority character of Arabic descent get her time in the spotlight but I would rather they make her Marvel Girl and have Carol Danvers go back to being Ms. Marvel; I never liked the idea of her being the new Captain Marvel when they could have just brought back Genis or Phyla Vell in this capacity.

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 215 posts

Postby TimH » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:35 am

I'll give this a try.

I've saddled up with vow not to buy into anything that is "the same, but different" (Ms. Marvel cancelled! Ms. Marvel restarted! Ms. Marvel cancelled and restarted again! And, no we're not changing our serial format to 12 issue "seasons". We're just screwing with your head, pure and simple.)

I don't know anything about the writer and wonder though how well he can write about a Muslim teenager girl growing up in America (with superpowers). Rishi Joe Sanu says Wilson has some experience writing about Muslem culture in America so maybe this will be a fresh, interesting series.

But, yeah, I agree that unfortunately this is unlikely to last more than a few issues. Spidergirl (Ariana) a few years back centered around the theme of a Hispanic family getting by in New York City, and within seven issues Marvel killed off the Dad and basically had Sue Richards adopt the girl.

"Honey, we need to genericize you. Come live at the Baxter Building for a few issues."

TimH
cheese

Postby TimH » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:46 am

PS. If her last name is Khan, it's unlikely she is of Arabic descent.

She's Indian, Pakistani, or Persian descent. "Khan" was the title that the Mongol (Mughal) rulers of Persia and Indian subcontinent took.

If you have a last name of khan, it probably means an ancestor of yours worked for the Mughal imperial court or was descended from a Mughal family.

So, Kamala is not Arabic. Her name, as well, is Hindi-ish. Kamala means "aroma" or perfume.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 344 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:50 am

TimH wrote:I'll give this a try.

I've saddled up with vow not to buy into anything that is "the same, but different" (Ms. Marvel cancelled! Ms. Marvel restarted! Ms. Marvel cancelled and restarted again! And, no we're not changing our serial format to 12 issue "seasons". We're just screwing with your head, pure and simple.)

I don't know anything about the writer and wonder though how well he can write about a Muslim teenager girl growing up in America (with superpowers). Rishi Joe Sanu says Wilson has some experience writing about Muslem culture in America so maybe this will be a fresh, interesting series.

But, yeah, I agree that unfortunately this is unlikely to last more than a few issues. Spidergirl (Ariana) a few years back centered around the theme of a Hispanic family getting by in New York City, and within seven issues Marvel killed off the Dad and basically had Sue Richards adopt the girl.

"Honey, we need to genericize you. Come live at the Baxter Building for a few issues."

Don't forget the female Ghost Rider debacle as well.

TimH
cheese

Postby TimH » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:07 am

Draco x wrote:Don't forget the female Ghost Rider debacle as well.

What happened there? (am not familiar with the run)

-Tim

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:36 am

TimH wrote:
What happened there? (am not familiar with the run)

-Tim

Nothing bad really just did not sell and not sure Marvel was 100% behind the idea but credit to them for trying something different.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Chocolate Chips
Whippersnapper

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Chocolate Chips » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:31 am

I'll give PR credit where credit is due. This is the #3 headline on Reuters Entertainment. Of course that doesn't mean non-comic readers will rush out and buy it when it comes out. http://news.yahoo.com/marvel-comics-ms- ... 15665.html
If you're telekinetic and you know it, clap my hands.

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 624 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Postby outsider » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:35 am

The visual style makes me even more interested.
-

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:08 am

outsider wrote:Image
The visual style makes me even more interested.

Yeah, I like it a lot. It is almost like something you'd see on an indy animated cartoon.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand