Monday, May 30, 2016 • Evening Edition • "At least we're not Multiversity!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Marvel Announces New Ms. Marvel Series Starring Muslim-American Teenager

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:25 pm

Marvel Announces New Ms. Marvel Series Starring Muslim-American Teenager

You probably shouldn't read the comments on this article.

Source: New York Times

Marvel announced to the New York Times that G Willow Wilson (writer of the short-lived revival of the Crossgen series Mystic) will be writing a new Ms. Marvel series starring Kamala Khan, a Muslim American teenage girl with the ability to shapeshift.  According to the Times, Khan idolizes Carol Danvers and takes up her original codename after discovering her powers. 

In the interview, Wilson said the comic will balance Khan's home life (which features a paranoid mother, overbearing father and a conservative brother) with her budding superhero career. The comic will also see Khan struggle with her faith, although Willow (a convert to Islam) noted that she won't evangelize her faith in the comic.  

No artist was announced, but we did get our first look at Khan via the Times.  Ms. Marvel #1 will be released in February.  

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Flynn the Pirate

OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:28 pm

I'm... not necessarily opposed to this.

Doubt that it will last very long, but I will probably pick up at least the first two issues.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:30 pm

Muslim-American?

Interesting, good to see a bit more diversity, especially since Simon Baz seems to have disappeared off the face of DC Earth, and good that this particular diversity doesn't feel forced, like her powers aren't explicitly linked with her ethnicity, or that she's not on a team of all women or all muslims.

Interesting indeed, let's just hope they don't make her a lesbian as well, a triple-threat-minority? Comics Alliance would suck itself off so hard, it would explode.

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:42 pm

Punchy wrote:Muslim-American?

Interesting, good to see a bit more diversity, especially since Simon Baz seems to have disappeared off the face of DC Earth

He's on Amanda Waller's Justice League Of America team. You did a review of the last issue :lol:

HNutz

Rain Partier

Postby HNutz » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:48 pm

Eh, it could be good. Hope it does well.

I'm not familiar with the author, though.

If it doesn't sell well though and/or gets cancelled in a year or two... will that lead to cries of racism?

Flynn the Pirate

OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:49 pm

Anyone know anything about the writer on this? I didn't pick up any of the Crossgen comics from back in the day, so I'm not really familiar with the quality of her work.

I do think that it is interesting that she, an American convert to Islam, is writing about a Muslim-American superheroine.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:49 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:

He's on Amanda Waller's Justice League Of America team. You did a review of the last issue :lol:

Oh yeah, I forgot.

But he's certainly not appearing in Green Lantern at the moment.

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:58 pm

That's a complete slap in the faces of the American comic reading population.

Does Marvel REALLY think that comic fans are THAT stupid? Radioactive spiders, supersoldier octogenarians, gods come to Earth, ok fine. But it's a slap in the face that they think we're dumb enough to accept that anyone "idolizes Carol Danvers".

:groucho:

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:Anyone know anything about the writer on this? I didn't pick up any of the Crossgen comics from back in the day, so I'm not really familiar with the quality of her work.

I do think that it is interesting that she, an American convert to Islam, is writing about a Muslim-American superheroine.

She wrote a fantastic Vertigo book called Air a few years back. It was great.

Also wrote a great Vertigo OGN called Cairo (iirc)

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:59 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:I'm... not necessarily opposed to this.

Doubt that it will last very long, but I will probably pick up at least the first two issues.

I just think she has lame powers. :smt102 She does sounds a lot like the character in Captain Britain and MI13, I’d rather buy a book with her.

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:01 pm

HNutz wrote:Eh, it could be good. Hope it does well.

I'm not familiar with the author, though.

If it doesn't sell well though and/or gets cancelled in a year or two... will that lead to cries of racism?

Mystic was pretty good. I’d place it under Ruse but it’s Mark Waid we’re talking about. :D

Chesscub

WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:06 pm

Cairo and Air were wonderful books. I'll check this out on the strength of Wilson's writing.

Flynn the Pirate

OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:09 pm

misac wrote:
I just think she has lame powers. :smt102 She does sounds a lot like the character in Captain Britain and MI13, I’d rather buy a book with her.

Faiza recently showed up in one of the Age of Ultron tie-ins.

I'd also love to see Dust show up more. She was always my favorite of the Academy-X/New/Young X-Men.

GOSD

Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:19 pm

:roll:

More political correctness.

StarCruncher

Outhouse Drafter

Postby StarCruncher » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:28 pm

HNutz wrote:If it doesn't sell well though and/or gets cancelled in a year or two... will that lead to cries of racism?

Ethnicism?
Religism? (Reli-jizm?)

leave a comment with facebook