Advertisement

Marvel Mocks Rob Liefeld's Artwork in X-Force #1 By the Numbers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 210 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Re: Marvel Mocks Rob Liefeld's Artwork in X-Force #1 By the

Postby fieldy snuts » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:10 am

Jude, Rob's art by itself is an excuse for ridicule. His entire career can write a series of books on 90's comic jokes and is arguably the biggest example of how embarrassing it was being a kid and carrying around his books like they were a badge of pride in grade school.

If anything I'm surprised they went 3 articles without even going for the most obvious 90's sources of ridicule like Liefeld and the Clone Saga.

Advertisement

TerminalNY83
expert hobo killer

Liked in: 17 posts

Postby TerminalNY83 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:47 am

It comes off as bad taste, pure and simple. It's like if you spent your years criticizing a sibling and then suddenly your dad starts criticizing them with you. Yeah, no, you might want to butt out and remain impartial, Marvel.

Liefeld still sucks though. Seriously, it's a wonder anyone ever hired him for any kind of professional work.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 84 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Re: RE: Marvel Mocks Rob Liefeld's Artwork in X-Force #1 By

Postby SuperginraiX » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:32 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
The whole article focused on Rob's art. There was nothing about the story at all.

There was a story in X-Force #1?

HEYOOOOOO! :smt026

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 432 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:38 am

Why are you lecturing other people who they should behave Jude? Are you truly so liberal now?

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 757 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:35 am

Rockman wrote:Why are you lecturing other people who they should behave Jude? Are you truly so liberal now?

Because I have a blog and therefore I can. Are you liberal when you lecture people on how to make message board posts? :P

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 276 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:49 am

Article left out what happens after the twitter dick tirade: Bleeding Cool runs an article about that, making it appear they were atop the story all along, while never mentioning us.
:twisted:

Scintillant-H
Post Whore

Liked in: 81 posts
Title: Glitter Bitch
Formerly: Hal Shumaker

Postby Scintillant-H » Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:06 am

I'm on the fence here, kinda.

Not just because I have a small *cough* thing against Rob (Deathstroke Nu52 :smt013 ), but because I think things like this, from first person perspective, are fun. That is; if I was in his place, I'd be laughing about it. If the article was written by someone I knew hated me and/or was frequently out to damage me, then I'd feel insulted. Anyone else, though, and damn this shit is fun. Id be all the more willing to work with people who have a sense of humor. Until the whoopie-cushion comes in... I have limits. (XD :lol: )

I do see the professional idiocy, too. That "bad business move" element. It's true, but then I'm always for seeing a company able to look human once in a while by doing things like this and other things that are less "aren't we and all our employees of all times so great." It's sickening to hear over and over, even though it's their business to make themselves look good. Them admitting that their former and future employee made mistakes is a nice relief--so long as Rob was okay with it. Anyone with a decent sense of humor should be.

And then I can't overlook who Rob is. Not a comic art superstar *cough* but rather, someone who seems like a sellout. He'll go where the money/ ego-stroking is for him and doesn't give two shits about much anything else. He may or may not like the jabs at his expense in their article, but when they wave the paycheck, his eyes will turn to dollar signs and he won't even remember the jabs. Not while he can get something out of them. Then, after his work is over, he'd be perfectly willing to leave while taking his own jabs at them even if they had never made this article.

In that, I think he not only deserves this, FROM Marvel, but it's really not going to hurt their business with him. If it does, then it doesn't hurt enough to even notice. I doubt that they don't know these things about him and know that this article of theirs won't interfere on their usual business deals with him. If this does alter his willingness to work with them, then it's their own fault. :smt102

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 432 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:45 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Because I have a blog and therefore I can. Are you liberal when you lecture people on how to make message board posts? :P

I prefer fascist :wink:

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:28 am

GHERU wrote:I have to agree
unless Rob was in on the joke its completely different when we do this and a company making money off his hard work does the same thing.

We still hold the moral high ground, don't we?

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 141 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:56 am

Look, I'm ashamed about but I'll admit it...I bought the shit out of X-Force #1 and (goddamn it) Youngblood #1. And I'm clearly not alone. It's just bad form on Marvel's part in that it seems like "the thing to do".

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:31 pm

I'm not a fan of Liefeld, and if there is one artist I would make fun of it would be him. But still , it's a bit weird to see Marvel mocking their former employee...

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 210 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:34 pm

It wasn't Marvel though, it was written by a CBR columnist they pay to do articles.

His editor was probably asleep on the job though or wasn't involved in comics during the Liefend Age :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand