Advertisement

Marvel Mocks Rob Liefeld's Artwork in X-Force #1 By the Numbers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 276 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:53 pm

In a column on their website, Marvel takes some pot shots at superstar artist Rob Liefeld.

Source: Marvel.com

Making fun of Rob Liefeld has long been a favorite pastime of comic book fans, possibly as a coping mechanism for the fact that they all purchased and loved his work in the early to mid nineties. However, it would seem to be a little uncouth for a major comic book publisher that willingly paid Liefeld for years to draw their books to jump on that bandwagon, but that's just what Marvel has done in their latest By the Numbers column, looking at 1991's X-Force #1.

Among the statistical facts Marvel used to take shots at their former employee:

• 36 teeth in Wild Side’s mouth
  • 7 characters, 1 inexplicable dust cloud, 0 feet
  • 2 maybe-thumbs on 1 sliced-off hand
  • 1 X-Forcer that can't figure out the appropriate number of sabre tooth accessories to wear

Yikes! It actually makes us feel kind of bad for Liefeld, whose creations, like Deadpool, continue to make Marvel money every month, and who sold more copies of X-Force #1 (based mainly on his name value) than every single Marvel comic to come out in January of this year combined.

Yes, his art embodies all of the stereotypes of the nineties... because he helped create those stereotypes. And you know what else embodied all of the stereotypes of the nineties? Every Marvel comic book published in the nineties.

And with Jim Lee and Bob Harras in power at DC, and a never-ending conveyor belt of relaunches and gimmick variant covers coming out of both Marvel and DC, a lot of the tactics and conventions of the nineties may be more alive and well than either publisher would like to admit.

There's a lesson to be learned here about stones and glass houses, is all I'm saying.

Look, we're not innocent of making fun of Rob Liefeld, and I even like him, but we're a website whose purpose is to make fun of comics. Marvel's job is to sell comics, and they have a responsibility as a company to support their creators, past and present. Is Marvel going to start trashing Claremont next? Kirby? Well, actually, they've done that through their actions for years.

A lot of people will read that article and think, "It's Liefeld. He deserves it." That's a slippery slope. Marvel will undoubtedly hire Liefeld for more work in the future. They always do. Are they damaging their future sales here? Are they damaging their stock with other creators who will feel like Marvel might turn on them and talk shit about some of their most successful work for a few lulz on the internet? It's a bad business move, and I think we'd reset the counter for it if it was DC.

You're not infallible, Marvel, and as thousands of articles on this site have shown, you do plenty of things that can be mocked today, in the 20-teens.

If nothing else, we look forward to the eventual Twitter tirade about the dick sizes of Marvel.com writers in response to the article. I hear Brett White's is particularly small.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 375 posts

Re: Marvel Mocks Rob Liefeld's Artwork in X-Force #1 By the

Postby GHERU » Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:55 pm

I have to agree
unless Rob was in on the joke its completely different when we do this and a company making money off his hard work does the same thing.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 959 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:05 pm

GHERU wrote:I have to agree
unless Rob was in on the joke its completely different when we do this and a company making money off his hard work does the same thing.

It's a total dick move.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 375 posts

Postby GHERU » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:13 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
It's a total dick move.

and that's coming from us
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

vanos_of_manos
Birdman

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby vanos_of_manos » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:21 pm

It might seem a bit dickish, but I'm not really that sure about this one. The "By the Numbers" series has been a pretty satirical thing from the beginning, and the current "90s By the Numbers" isn't much different. They've been highlighting the goofiness of the 90s pretty fairly: I'm not sure it's that much different than what they did to Punisher War Zone #1 and Captain America #438 in their "By the Numbers" editions. I feel like it only comes off as more "on-point" because it hits a couple of really well known jokes about Liefeld's art style, though I'm not sure how avoidable it is when one considers that he's one of the poster boys for the XXXtreme 90s art and writing styles.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 388 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:21 pm

So will we be doing a Has Marvel Done Stupid counter soon then?

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 134 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:38 pm

vanos_of_manos wrote:It might seem a bit dickish, but I'm not really that sure about this one. The "By the Numbers" series has been a pretty satirical thing from the beginning, and the current "90s By the Numbers" isn't much different. They've been highlighting the goofiness of the 90s pretty fairly: I'm not sure it's that much different than what they did to Punisher War Zone #1 and Captain America #438 in their "By the Numbers" editions. I feel like it only comes off as more "on-point" because it hits a couple of really well known jokes about Liefeld's art style, though I'm not sure how avoidable it is when one considers that he's one of the poster boys for the XXXtreme 90s art and writing styles.

This.

b.lumpkin
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 25 posts
Title: rebel from the waist down
Formerly: barrylincoln

Postby b.lumpkin » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:07 pm

Say what you will about liefeld
But there's no denying that man sold the shit out of some blue jeans

Supersoldier Washout
Post Whore

Liked in: 250 posts
Location: I can't really say. I'm currently what they call "AWOL" from S.H.I.E.L.D.
Title: Will Fight for Beer

Postby Supersoldier Washout » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:08 pm

As a person who still owns multiple never open copies of X-Force, I think it's a dick move.

If they want to poke fun at the 90's, they should stop going down the same road they did in the 90's.

David Smyth
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 195 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Marvel Mocks Rob Liefeld's Artwork in X-Force #1 By the Numbers

Postby David Smyth » Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:46 pm

Its a shithead move by a company that were all to happy to rake in the cash from the books he was drawing

Tea Bear
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Tea Bear » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:17 pm

There is no character called WildSide on the cover of X-Force #1.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 959 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: RE: Marvel Mocks Rob Liefeld's Artwork in X-Force #1 By

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:18 pm

FBtron wrote:There is no character called WildSide on the cover of X-Force #1.

Their article was looking at images inside the book as well, not just the cover.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Seth Travis
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Seth Travis » Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:17 pm

Eh... Whatevs. He's made some SERIOUS cash selling like fifty nine quadrillion comic books over the years. He's not blind, youknow. He's not totally unaware. He HAS to know that he's been fortunate that his particular artistic style, a style that disregards both anatomy and convention in favor of nonsense, drama, and people who are 70% leg, a style that might be called lazy, misinformed, confused, amateur, or just plain 'don't give a f***' (-which is somewhat admirable, I might add), that his style caught on in such a big way, that he was able to have and continue to have so much success with it. So, it's not really sour grapes to point out the obvious when nobody has feet and everybody has too many pouches and teeth. Liefeld is now known equally for his successes and his version of anatomy. It's like his hallmark, and he is well aware. Everybody always wants to get defensive and project one way or the other. Team Liefeld. Team Leave Liefeld Alone! Meanwhile, I'm sure Rob is just fine and above the fray. I'm sure Marvel's' intention was just as much to celebrate the dude's style as to join in the popular conversation going on around the art of a guy who's career they pretty much made. No press is bad press, right? No harm, no foul, and people will still buy his books. Heck, it might even help sales?

Jonathan C. Osborne
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Jonathan C. Osborne » Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:44 pm

You're the jerks who hired him in the first place, Marvel.
I thought his artwork sucked then and it still sucks to this day. Don't know how anyone can stand to look at this horrible art.

Pedram Shohadai
FACEBOOKTron

Postby Pedram Shohadai » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:53 pm

ha, rob is funny - doh! ;)

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand