Advertisement

Marvel's sliding continuity

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 697 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Re: Marvel's sliding continuity

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:06 pm

:smt102 So what?

This is not new to me. I've seen the slide happen repeatedly and have no problem with it at all. The call here works as Franklin's age will always be a big "sign post/factor" for the age of the MU.

Neito is just an old bat if he's anyone's uncle here. :P :lol:
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Advertisement

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:08 pm

outsider wrote:Or conversely, keep the JSA firmly fixed in the WWII era and don't have them around today (unless it's Alan due to magic, but not frickin' Ted... that was stupid).

OR, have them be around since WWII and on Earth 02, a world of multigenerational super-heroes and villains, while the JLA is on Earth 01. Similar line ups for today, but not exactly.

Juan... you are just wrong in that wish. :smt011
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:16 pm

The fact that the children have aged so little just shows how bullshit comics have become. What an absolute mockery. Thankfuck other media doesn't take the piss out of the customers like monthly comics.

Frag
REAL OFFICIAL President of the Outhouse

Liked in: 20 posts
Title: Mama don't like tattletales.
Formerly: Frag It, Rusty Kuntz

Postby Frag » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:20 pm

Jubilee wrote:The fact that the children have aged so little just shows how bullshit comics have become. What an absolute mockery. Thankfuck other media doesn't take the piss out of the customers like monthly comics.

It's always been like this. The problem is that today's reader wants comics to grow with them which has NEVER been the case.

From Archie to Popeye to Mickey Mouse to Tarzan, comics were never meant to have continuity.

It's nice to have a bit of it, but too much ruins it.
Jude Terror wrote:I'll vote for NPWFBH in the next election.

Outhouse Post #1,000,000:

Frag It wrote::smt117

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:21 pm

Cat-Scratch wrote:
OR, have them be around since WWII and on Earth 02, a world of multigenerational super-heroes and villains, while the JLA is on Earth 01. Similar line ups for today, but not exactly.

Juan... you are just wrong in that wish. :smt011

Either way, you have one group of characters (the JSA and other Golden Age characters) whom are forced to age at a normal rate because of being linked to a fixed point in history (barring convoluted explanations why they don't look 70-90) , and another group of characters (the JLA, Titans, et. al ) who exist in an ever-present "now," and rarely, if ever, age.

The difference between the two groups as they interact just keeps getting noticeable as time goes on. The only solution is not for them ever to get together, and I doubt anyone wants that to happen.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:25 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
It's always been like this. The problem is that today's reader wants comics to grow with them which has NEVER been the case.

From Archie to Popeye to Mickey Mouse to Tarzan, comics were never meant to have continuity.

Well either fuck off continuity or advance the story. Anything else is ridiculous.

Frag

Postby Frag » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Jubilee wrote:
Well either fuck off continuity or advance the story. Anything else is ridiculous.

I'm ok with how it is.

I think many people in the last 20-30 years want to have the characters grow with them. I've seen you mention this before, but I've also seen people older that you say it. So if you want the story advanced, you would have a 40 year old Spiderman, if the guy before you got his way.

It's why I keep arguing with people about the Spider-wedding who want Peter to have kids by now. Eventually, they'd want Grandpa Parker.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:36 pm

Yes. That is what I want. That is what anybody should want.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:42 pm

Jubilee wrote:The fact that the children have aged so little just shows how bullshit comics have become. What an absolute mockery. Thankfuck other media doesn't take the piss out of the customers like monthly comics.

The Flintstones.
The Jetsons.
The Addams Family.
The Munsters.
The Simpsons.
Family Guy.
American Dad.
James Bond.

:smt102 I'd say you're wrong there. BUT, it does exist in some comics such as Nexus, The Badger and Gold Digger as well as Poison Elves, Cereberus, Elfquest....

ReturnoftheMack wrote:It's always been like this. The problem is that today's reader wants comics to grow with them which has NEVER been the case.

This. Perfect summation for most comics and cartoons... hell even movie franchises like James Bond.

Frag

Postby Frag » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:44 pm

Jubilee wrote:Yes. That is what I want. That is what anybody should want.

I understand that, but it's not something that you can or will get.

And it's not like the comics industry has tricked you. It's always been this way.

Thunderstorm
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Whitest Poster 2010!!

Postby Thunderstorm » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:47 pm

They don't exist in our universe, they are in a different universe. Think of it like Limbo, time is kinda wonky there (or here to them).

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Either way, you have one group of characters (the JSA and other Golden Age characters) whom are forced to age at a normal rate because of being linked to a fixed point in history (barring convoluted explanations why they don't look 70-90) , and another group of characters (the JLA, Titans, et. al ) who exist in an ever-present "now," and rarely, if ever, age.

The difference between the two groups as they interact just keeps getting noticeable as time goes on. The only solution is not for them ever to get together, and I doubt anyone wants that to happen.

Originally they all barely aged, but given that so many of the JSA characters were so strongly set in that time period, they really will not work that well in later periods. Unless you pull an Earth 2 52 style.

Back in the 90s, there was a series of comics called Big Bang. They covered this rather well by simply having the crossovers occur over time as well as dimension. The interactions become explained away as a product of time travel instead of just dimension hoping, should they all co-exist in the same universe. The JLA characters are more modern and a better fit for today, though I some times think that they really should have left them back in the 60s/70s/80s and kept coming up with newer in continuity versions.

But again, the JSA is a 40s era group. They will not really work for the 70s or 80s. Different sensibilities and all.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:49 pm

The Flinstones and Simpsons never claimed to advance continuity. They don't consistently have to retcon and bullshit their readers. Superhero comics are pretty much unique in that respect.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Jubilee wrote:Yes. That is what I want. That is what anybody should want.

I want both. Otherwise, I'm content with the sliding time line for Marvel and DC for that matter.

If Batman were treated the way you want... he'd be called the Phantom.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:49 pm

ReturnoftheMack wrote:
I understand that, but it's not something that you can or will get.

And it's not like the comics industry has tricked you. It's always been this way.

Not in the 60's or 70's really.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand