Advertisement

Matt Fraction to Donate Hawkeye Money to Hurricane Sandy Relief

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 666 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Matt Fraction to Donate Hawkeye Money to Hurricane Sandy

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:37 pm

Rockman wrote:
why?

Because I'm a Marvel-hating Fat Bob lover.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Advertisement

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:07 am

mrorangesoda wrote:I think the Outhouse should donate its ad revenue to a charity that teaches forum users how to take a joke.

I seriously doubt such charity exists.

The Beast
cheese

Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Postby The Beast » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:39 pm

The Bass wrote:I had high hopes this would be a pro Matt Fraction, positive thread.

And I was wrong

Matt's going to personally benefit from this endeavour more than the Red Cross or any of those in need, this is just another form of marketing. This kind of self promotion under the guise of charity is not only disingenuous, it's fucking ghoulish.

Speaking of real-life regular people doing good, Fraction has decided to donate his royalties for scripting "Hawkeye" #7 to the American Red Cross. So the more copies that you buy, the more money Matt will donate.

More importantly, the more copies you buy, the more money Marvel will keep for themselves.

It's an incredibly generous gesture, one that Fraction admits, is risky, but worth it,

Of course it's worth it. Not only will Matt's charitable contributions be tax deductible, the illusion of "aid" will boost Marvel's bottom line and serve as a PR boost to both the company and the writer.

"...it occured to me that if this is too successful that this could be the most painful check that I ever write...but c'mon, make it hurt!"

Matt's going to write the check, so that means before he donates his royalties, he's going to allow that money to contribute to the interest in his banking account. There's going to be more interest for him than usual if this charity based marketting strategy does increase sales.

That's the dirty little secret that charities don't like to share with contributors; they bank donations in order to pool the interest which they keep for themselves. Sure, all of you dollar goes to the charitable cause, but that interest is the skim off the top that they like to keep for themselves.

I don't understand why some people take corporations at face value. :smt011

Rant off, back to the grind.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 120 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:50 pm

Ntikrst wrote:
Matt's going to personally benefit from this endeavour more than the Red Cross or any of those in need, this is just another form of marketing. This kind of self promotion under the guise of charity is not only disingenuous, it's fucking ghoulish.

More importantly, the more copies you buy, the more money Marvel will keep for themselves.

Of course it's worth it. Not only will Matt's charitable contributions be tax deductible, the illusion of "aid" will boost Marvel's bottom line and serve as a PR boost to both the company and the writer.

Matt's going to write the check, so that means before he donates his royalties, he's going to allow that money to contribute to the interest in his banking account. There's going to be more interest for him than usual if this charity based marketting strategy does increase sales.

That's the dirty little secret that charities don't like to share with contributors; they bank donations in order to pool the interest which they keep for themselves. Sure, all of you dollar goes to the charitable cause, but that interest is the skim off the top that they like to keep for themselves.

Okay, seriously I know I had to say this once in the thread but by god most of the outhouse understands sarcasm.

Matt Fraction didn't say anything that's quoted in this article. Jude wrote everything, minus the fact that he's giving everything to charity.

christ. :smt011

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 383 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:19 pm

doombug wrote:
Okay, seriously I know I had to say this once in the thread but by god most of the outhouse understands sarcasm.

Matt Fraction didn't say anything that's quoted in this article. Jude wrote everything, minus the fact that he's giving everything to charity.

christ. :smt011

actually the "quotes" that Nktirst quotes ARE actually Fraction's words: (from CBR's article): "I wanna do a little bit of good. Pick up a comic and rest assured that I['m gonna be writing a check. So, it occurred to me that this is like too successful, it could be the most painful check I'll ever write, but, you know. Make it hurt! I dare you! I dare you!"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=42366

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 410 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:36 pm

Ntikrst wrote:

I don't really understand how someone with your miserable worldview even gets up in the morning, what's the point?

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 41 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:49 pm

I don't think I've ever seen that guy do anything but rant against people/places/things/books on here.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:52 pm

BUT SERIOUSLY, can TheBass answer the question regarding how to pronounce his name? Do we pronounce it like the fish or the instrument? This has been bothering me.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:54 pm

I always assumed it was pronounced like the guitar, but now that I think about it, the fish makes more sense.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:56 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I always assumed it was pronounced like the guitar, but now that I think about it, the fish makes more sense.

That's funny. I always assumed the fish.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:01 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
That's funny. I always assumed the fish.

It is more likely. I had just never thought about it.

The Beast
cheese

Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Postby The Beast » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:51 pm

e_galston wrote:
actually the "quotes" that Nktirst quotes ARE actually Fraction's words: (from CBR's article): "I wanna do a little bit of good. Pick up a comic and rest assured that I['m gonna be writing a check. So, it occurred to me that this is like too successful, it could be the most painful check I'll ever write, but, you know. Make it hurt! I dare you! I dare you!"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=42366

Thanks for pointing that out E, I appreciate it. :D

Rockman wrote:
I don't really understand how someone with your miserable worldview even gets up in the morning, what's the point?

Because I'm mad. :smt013

Chris wrote:I don't think I've ever seen that guy do anything but rant against people/places/things/books on here.

Ha! See above.

I'm working on a more positive outlet to express myself but sometimes I just gotta share.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:46 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:BUT SERIOUSLY, can TheBass answer the question regarding how to pronounce his name? Do we pronounce it like the fish or the instrument? This has been bothering me.

I want to know too.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 229 posts

Postby GHERU » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:31 pm

RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Arion
Twenty-Something

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand