Wednesday, June 29, 2016 • Evening Edition • "The Outhousers of Earth Ugh"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Matt Fraction to Donate Hawkeye Money to Hurricane Sandy Relief

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:37 pm

Rockman wrote:
why?


Because I'm a Marvel-hating Fat Bob lover.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:07 am

mrorangesoda wrote:I think the Outhouse should donate its ad revenue to a charity that teaches forum users how to take a joke.


I seriously doubt such charity exists.
User avatar

The Beast

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby The Beast » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:39 pm

The Bass wrote:I had high hopes this would be a pro Matt Fraction, positive thread.

And I was wrong


Matt's going to personally benefit from this endeavour more than the Red Cross or any of those in need, this is just another form of marketing. This kind of self promotion under the guise of charity is not only disingenuous, it's fucking ghoulish.

Speaking of real-life regular people doing good, Fraction has decided to donate his royalties for scripting "Hawkeye" #7 to the American Red Cross. So the more copies that you buy, the more money Matt will donate.

More importantly, the more copies you buy, the more money Marvel will keep for themselves.

It's an incredibly generous gesture, one that Fraction admits, is risky, but worth it,

Of course it's worth it. Not only will Matt's charitable contributions be tax deductible, the illusion of "aid" will boost Marvel's bottom line and serve as a PR boost to both the company and the writer.

"...it occured to me that if this is too successful that this could be the most painful check that I ever write...but c'mon, make it hurt!"


Matt's going to write the check, so that means before he donates his royalties, he's going to allow that money to contribute to the interest in his banking account. There's going to be more interest for him than usual if this charity based marketting strategy does increase sales.

That's the dirty little secret that charities don't like to share with contributors; they bank donations in order to pool the interest which they keep for themselves. Sure, all of you dollar goes to the charitable cause, but that interest is the skim off the top that they like to keep for themselves.

I don't understand why some people take corporations at face value. :smt011

Rant off, back to the grind.
User avatar

Eric Ratcliffe

Staff Writer

Postby Eric Ratcliffe » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:50 pm

Ntikrst wrote:
Matt's going to personally benefit from this endeavour more than the Red Cross or any of those in need, this is just another form of marketing. This kind of self promotion under the guise of charity is not only disingenuous, it's fucking ghoulish.


More importantly, the more copies you buy, the more money Marvel will keep for themselves.


Of course it's worth it. Not only will Matt's charitable contributions be tax deductible, the illusion of "aid" will boost Marvel's bottom line and serve as a PR boost to both the company and the writer.



Matt's going to write the check, so that means before he donates his royalties, he's going to allow that money to contribute to the interest in his banking account. There's going to be more interest for him than usual if this charity based marketting strategy does increase sales.

That's the dirty little secret that charities don't like to share with contributors; they bank donations in order to pool the interest which they keep for themselves. Sure, all of you dollar goes to the charitable cause, but that interest is the skim off the top that they like to keep for themselves.

I don't understand why some people take corporations at face value. :smt011

Rant off, back to the grind.


Okay, seriously I know I had to say this once in the thread but by god most of the outhouse understands sarcasm.

Matt Fraction didn't say anything that's quoted in this article. Jude wrote everything, minus the fact that he's giving everything to charity.

christ. :smt011
User avatar

e_galston

Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:19 pm

doombug wrote:
Okay, seriously I know I had to say this once in the thread but by god most of the outhouse understands sarcasm.

Matt Fraction didn't say anything that's quoted in this article. Jude wrote everything, minus the fact that he's giving everything to charity.

christ. :smt011


actually the "quotes" that Nktirst quotes ARE actually Fraction's words: (from CBR's article): "I wanna do a little bit of good. Pick up a comic and rest assured that I['m gonna be writing a check. So, it occurred to me that this is like too successful, it could be the most painful check I'll ever write, but, you know. Make it hurt! I dare you! I dare you!"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=42366
User avatar

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:36 pm

Ntikrst wrote:
Matt's going to personally benefit from this endeavour more than the Red Cross or any of those in need, this is just another form of marketing. This kind of self promotion under the guise of charity is not only disingenuous, it's fucking ghoulish.


More importantly, the more copies you buy, the more money Marvel will keep for themselves.


Of course it's worth it. Not only will Matt's charitable contributions be tax deductible, the illusion of "aid" will boost Marvel's bottom line and serve as a PR boost to both the company and the writer.



Matt's going to write the check, so that means before he donates his royalties, he's going to allow that money to contribute to the interest in his banking account. There's going to be more interest for him than usual if this charity based marketting strategy does increase sales.

That's the dirty little secret that charities don't like to share with contributors; they bank donations in order to pool the interest which they keep for themselves. Sure, all of you dollar goes to the charitable cause, but that interest is the skim off the top that they like to keep for themselves.

I don't understand why some people take corporations at face value. :smt011

Rant off, back to the grind.


I don't really understand how someone with your miserable worldview even gets up in the morning, what's the point?
User avatar

Chris

Rain Partier

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:49 pm

I don't think I've ever seen that guy do anything but rant against people/places/things/books on here.
User avatar

TimDrake'sDumbWings

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:52 pm

BUT SERIOUSLY, can TheBass answer the question regarding how to pronounce his name? Do we pronounce it like the fish or the instrument? This has been bothering me.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:54 pm

I always assumed it was pronounced like the guitar, but now that I think about it, the fish makes more sense.
User avatar

TimDrake'sDumbWings

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:56 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I always assumed it was pronounced like the guitar, but now that I think about it, the fish makes more sense.


That's funny. I always assumed the fish.

Image
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:01 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:
That's funny. I always assumed the fish.

Image


It is more likely. I had just never thought about it.
User avatar

The Beast

Swedish Pinata of Death

Postby The Beast » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:51 pm

e_galston wrote:
actually the "quotes" that Nktirst quotes ARE actually Fraction's words: (from CBR's article): "I wanna do a little bit of good. Pick up a comic and rest assured that I['m gonna be writing a check. So, it occurred to me that this is like too successful, it could be the most painful check I'll ever write, but, you know. Make it hurt! I dare you! I dare you!"

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=42366


Thanks for pointing that out E, I appreciate it. :D

Rockman wrote:
I don't really understand how someone with your miserable worldview even gets up in the morning, what's the point?


Because I'm mad. :smt013

Chris wrote:I don't think I've ever seen that guy do anything but rant against people/places/things/books on here.


Ha! See above.

I'm working on a more positive outlet to express myself but sometimes I just gotta share.
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:46 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:BUT SERIOUSLY, can TheBass answer the question regarding how to pronounce his name? Do we pronounce it like the fish or the instrument? This has been bothering me.


I want to know too.
User avatar

GHERU

Rain Partier

Postby GHERU » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:31 pm

Arion wrote:
I want to know too.

the-asylum/how-you-pronounce-thebass-name-t90116.html
User avatar

Arion

Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:58 pm



I don't know how I missed that.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: GLX, Scarecrow and 103 guests