Advertisement

Mega Double Dog Exclusive Preview of Superman: Doomed #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1156 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Mega Double Dog Exclusive Preview of Superman: Doomed #1

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:08 pm

syxxpakk wrote:The New 52 is bringing in more revenue now than the pre-52 was. The new 52 was a brilliant move.

I wouldn't go that far. But certainly I think you hit the nail on the head on the motivations. All the stuff about simplifying continuity and making it new reader friendly was bullshit. The purpose was to make as money as possible on the quarterly earnings reports. I think the problem is there's no long term strategy this kind of ADD capitalism. It requires and assumes constant growth, but doesn't do the necessary building of the audience so that growth can be maintained. I think it's the exact same business model as WWE uses. :P
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Advertisement

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 111 posts
Title: The Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:16 pm

I think you can probably say that about Marvel, DC, McDonalds, etc.

When you're as good as Chael, you can only call out people worse than you.

@syxxpakk on the Twitter.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 466 posts

Postby Draco x » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:17 pm

syxxpakk wrote:The New 52 is bringing in more revenue now than the pre-52 was. The new 52 was a brilliant move.

Predictable response from Syxx! Reset the counter! :D :D :D :D

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:19 pm

Here's something interesting: comic book unit sales were very consistent throughout the 2000s (or at least up until 2008). There was consistent growth for both comics overall and DC. In 2007 there was a HUGE boom, but DC actually declined that year. DC, thus far, seems to have peaked in 2006.

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:20 pm

Draco x wrote:
Predictable response from Syxx! Reset the counter! :D :D :D :D

Why can't you just try to discuss it? I'd love to have a rational conversation with you, but it's like you refuse.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1156 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:25 pm

syxxpakk wrote:I think you can probably say that about Marvel, DC, McDonalds, etc.

Yeah, you can definitely say that about Marvel. McDonalds probably actually has more forethought because they're a big boy company. Comics executives are fanboys playing corporation. Geoff Johns doesn't have a business degree.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:25 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
I wouldn't go that far. But certainly I think you hit the nail on the head on the motivations. All the stuff about simplifying continuity and making it new reader friendly was bullshit. The purpose was to make as money as possible on the quarterly earnings reports. I think the problem is there's no long term strategy this kind of ADD capitalism. It requires and assumes constant growth, but doesn't do the necessary building of the audience so that growth can be maintained. I think it's the exact same business model as WWE uses. :P

Or better yet the same stunt Marvel, Image, Valiant, etc did in the 90s which came back to bite them in the end when the market became over-saturated with sales gimmicks and cheap cash-grabs.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 470 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:31 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote: The purpose was to make as money as possible on the quarterly earnings reports. I think the problem is there's no long term strategy this kind of ADD capitalism. It requires and assumes constant growth, but doesn't do the necessary building of the audience so that growth can be maintained. I think it's the exact same business model as WWE uses.

Exactly correct. Their only purpose is to make money. Which, sure, as a company, we can understand.

But as you say, there is making money in the short, medium, and long term. DC is entirely focused (as is WB) on burst profit-making. Their stories are done as marketing tactics, rather than just as stories, and the only marketing strategy they follow is "how do we make more money THIS MONTH?" They don't care, or even think about, whether the thing they are doing to make money this month is going to fuck their universe up so bad they won't make as much money next month. They'll worry about THAT little problem later.

So far it has not bitten them in the ass as badly as I would have thought it would, but that's probably because the comic-fan market is so small now, and has been so completely culled of people with the slightest modicum of selectivity in their choices, that almost all that's left in the buyer population is people who indiscriminately buy DC comics just because they are DC comics -- the people who will buy into every gimmick because that is what they do, and love every minute of it. And those folks are what is propping up the market. There aren't many of them, but they apparently have a LOT of time and money on their hands, and they're willing to shell out obscene amounts of cash for idiot marketing schemes like the 3Dnado. So DC keeps making money off this small population... for now. What will happen as that population shrinks (which it will inevitably do over time) is anyone's guess. But I have to say the market has shown a surprising amount of resiliency for such a small number of people.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:32 pm

syxxpakk wrote:
Why can't you just try to discuss it? I'd love to have a rational conversation with you, but it's like you refuse.

Also another predictable response. And then you will go on to tell me how the New 52 is the was a wonderful masterpiece and that Didio was the greatest thing to happen to happen to DC, right? Anticipating response in 3,2,1.....

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:33 pm

Chessack wrote:
Exactly correct. Their only purpose is to make money. Which, sure, as a company, we can understand.

But as you say, there is making money in the short, medium, and long term. DC is entirely focused (as is WB) on burst profit-making. Their stories are done as marketing tactics, rather than just as stories, and the only marketing strategy they follow is "how do we make more money THIS MONTH?" They don't care, or even think about, whether the thing they are doing to make money this month is going to fuck their universe up so bad they won't make as much money next month. They'll worry about THAT little problem later.

So far it has not bitten them in the ass as badly as I would have thought it would, but that's probably because the comic-fan market is so small now, and has been so completely culled of people with the slightest modicum of selectivity in their choices, that almost all that's left in the buyer population is people who indiscriminately buy DC comics just because they are DC comics -- the people who will buy into every gimmick because that is what they do, and love every minute of it. And those folks are what is propping up the market. There aren't many of them, but they apparently have a LOT of time and money on their hands, and they're willing to shell out obscene amounts of cash for idiot marketing schemes like the 3Dnado. So DC keeps making money off this small population... for now. What will happen as that population shrinks (which it will inevitably do over time) is anyone's guess. But I have to say the market has shown a surprising amount of resiliency for such a small number of people.

Again the similar predicament in the 90s with Marvel mostly.

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 470 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:34 pm

Draco x wrote:Or better yet the same stunt Marvel, Image, Valiant, etc did in the 90s which came back to bite them in the end when the market became over-saturated with sales gimmicks and cheap cash-grabs.

I keep waiting to see "relaunch fatigue" hit the market, but it hasn't happened yet.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:36 pm

Chessack wrote:
I keep waiting to see "relaunch fatigue" hit the market, but it hasn't happened yet.

If it happens would we be surprised?

syxxpakk
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:43 pm

Draco x wrote:
Also another predictable response. And then you will go on to tell me how the New 52 is the was a wonderful masterpiece and that Didio was the greatest thing to happen to happen to DC, right? Anticipating response in 3,2,1.....

If you just want to belittle me, that's fine. I would to talk the business numbers of it, if you're interested.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:36 pm

syxxpakk wrote:
If you just want to belittle me, that's fine. I would to talk the business numbers of it, if you're interested.

Well by all means bring out the charts from the other thread if you want as we're still not going to agree about the New 52 being a good thing overall.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand