Advertisement

X-men: Battle of the Atom #1 and All new X-Men # 16 Spoilers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 177 posts
Title: Self Important

Re: X-men: Battle of the Atom #1 and All new X-Men # 16 Spoi

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:30 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
No spoilers! :x

I haven't read these yet. Dammit, and put together with something Doombug said to me earlier, I now know what you're talking about. :x

hahaha, xoobies make you mad.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 584 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:32 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Just read Punchy's un-spoiler-tagged reviews above. :P

No! :x

This is actually one of the arcs that I want to remain relatively unspoiled! That's why I don't read most of Punchy's posts until after I have read my books each week. :P
ImageImageImage

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 177 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:44 pm

Jude, you have no excuse for not reading these yet.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby doombug » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Xoobies is not a spoiler. :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 4:08 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Just read Punchy's un-spoiler-tagged reviews above. :P

Yoni put Spoilers in the title, there's your tag!

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:45 pm

Punchy wrote:We then head to the Jean Grey School, where Kitty Pryde and her team of time-travelling original X-Men are sent on a mission to stop a newly powered-up Mutant from destroying Phoenix. Of course, things get more complicated, as those pesky Sentinels get involved, and then Cyclops and his team show up to help out. I was surprised to see that these two teams were so willing to work together, but I guess Kitty Pryde is nowhere near as antagonistic towards Cyclops as Wolverine is.

They did seem to be pleasant towards each other during these scenes. I would assume that a lot of it had to do with the fact that Kitty brought 4 of the original X-Men to a hostile environment involving a powerful, unknown mutant before they were ambushed by Sentinels. It's not like she had the opportunity to be picky when help arrived. However, I would like to think that some of the hostile sentiments toward Scott and his team have finally started to die down now that they are showing people that they aren't the boogeymen that they were portrayed to be.

This fight sequence was a lot of fun, especially because it’s drawn by Frank Cho, who is simply one of my favourite superhero artists. I feel he’s unfairly pigeonholed as a cheesecake perv artist, and whilst he does draw very hot women, he also draws very hot everything else, and I loved that Bendis gave the new Mutant in this issue the power to create dragon monsters, nobody draws better dragons than Frank Cho.

I have to agree with you about Frank Cho. The man does a great job capturing all of the fun action that accompanies superhero comics but I wouldn't said that he is unfairly pigeonholed. The man likes drawing cheesecake. :smt102

In the midst of this fight, something crazy happens, Young Cyclops is killed by a Sentinel! Yep, killed. This causes adult Cyclops to disappear from existence, which is worrying.

As much as I have been enjoying Bendis' All-New X-Men, it did strike me as odd that it has taken him this long to getting around to actually showing some ramifications to the original X-Men being in the present. Of course with time being broken thanks to Wolverine, it's hard to really press issues with time travel at the moment.

But fortunately, one of the blank space that was formerly Cyclops’ new recruits, Christopher Muse, has healing powers, and he brings OG Cyke back from the dead. This was a great scene, not only does it get across just how powerful Christopher is, but it also shows the consequences of the original X-Men being here in the present day.

I loved the fact that the magnitude of what Christopher had just accomplished was not lost on him. He is definitely an interesting character, who I look forward to being developed more in the near future.

I loved the various reactions to the Future X-Men here, especially the Icemans freaking out about their fucked-up future. Of course, this isn’t just a peaceful dialogue between the various characters, for some reason, Wolverine pops his claws and attacks. Why? Well, Jean Grey made him do it. Bendis flashes back to show us inside Jean’s mind as the Future X-Men introduce themselves, and she doesn’t trust them, as they are blocking their minds. After first attempting to get her new love interest OG Beast to run away with her, she finally convinces OG Cyclops to come with her, and now we’ve got those two on the run, and I expect various factions of X-Men chasing after them. I must admit, it brought a smile to my face to see Scott and Jean back together again. I wonder if Jean is right not to trust the Future X-Men or not.

I feel that young Jean Grey has had it pretty rough in the present day. Her track record hasn't been very good and she has made a lot of poor decisions. That being said, I am inclined to believe her here. Something doesn't feel right about these future "X-Men."

The reveal at the end certainly raises a lot more questions, as the Female Xorn reveals herself to be… Jean Grey? What the? What a great ending, Bendis really does know how to get people on the hook for the next issue.

I'll admit that I was very excited about this reveal but if this is the real Jean Grey, I am curious about which Jean Grey is it. Is it the real, reborn Jean Grey or is it the young Jean Grey who never went home? If it's the younger Jean, why would they feel the need to hide her identity and why would she be using the Xorn identity?
ImageImageImage

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 425 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:16 pm

It seemed like the real jean from the present that died, just the "Hi, 'Ro" gave me that impression.

And Xavier is a shady fuck.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 188 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:24 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Jude, you have no excuse for not reading these yet.

Hey, those endless slash articles on the Front Page don't write themselves :P
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:26 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:It seemed like the real jean from the present that died, just the "Hi, 'Ro" gave me that impression.

Yeah, there were definitely clues there to make you believe the possibility of "Xoobies" being the future version of the present day Jean Grey who died at the end of Grant Morrison's run. Besides, it has always been my belief that Bendis is using All-New X-Men as a platform to pull a reverse Bendis and bring back classic X-Characters.

And Xavier is a shady fuck.

Yup, this.
ImageImageImage

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:32 pm

What can be the gimmick/catch of the title if the young mutants go back in time, which seems to happen post BotA?

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:38 pm

BubbaKanoosh wrote:What can be the gimmick/catch of the title if the young mutants go back in time, which seems to happen post BotA?

I'm going to assume that they either a) stick around for a little bit longer, b) are replaced by another time-displaced X-team, or c) the present day X-Men have to deal with the actual long-term ramifications of whatever happens as a result of Battle of the Atom. In this case, perhaps the real deal Jean Grey returns but like her future counterpart, has to deal with her powers being out of control. It's plausible, look at what happened to Scott's team's powers from being the host to the Phoenix for a small amount of time. Jean Grey has had to deal with the Phoenix longer than anybody and at the end of the day, she'll probably be the one who fixes everyone's powers. :smt102
ImageImageImage

BubbaKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:49 pm

Preview for part 3

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 35 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:03 pm

I don't think the young X-Men go back to their own time. This was the selling point of this book. Changing that would be pretty drastic, and thus make All New just another X-book, really.

I think it would actually be pretty cool if Future Young Xavier Jr. stuck around and mentored the Young X-Men from the past, and throughout the event they fixed any sort of time travel related issues by just saying the X-Men that Beast brought from the past were from another timeline, not their own, or something.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 92 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:47 pm

Grayson wrote:These were 2 of the 3 books that I didn't receive today because my LCS was shorted half of their books! Now I have to wait until Friday! :smt013

:lol:

Glad to know I was right about who "Xoobies" really is.

I think you're talking about a character I'm not familiar with...

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 527 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:52 pm

Really great opening. First time I've been really excited about a super-mega-crossover event in a long time.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand