Advertisement

X-Men Regenesis and Generation Hope #12 (Spoilers Ahoy!)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

X-Men Regenesis and Generation Hope #12 (Spoilers Ahoy!)

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:37 pm

Since these two titles are largely linked, I thought it would be easier to just address them together.

Regenesis was a lot better than I thought it would be. I really liked that all of the stated reasons that were given for who stayed on Utopia and who went to Westchester were reasonable seemed in line with what the characters have been doing of late.

I found it interesting that most of of the scenes involving Logan's recruits were pretty funny, if not at the very least tongue-in-cheek. Of note were a few: Beast putting off having relations with Abigail Brand to accept Logan's invitation (and in the process revealing that in all likelihood he will be actually running the school); Havoc and Polaris agreeing to go see about signing up with X-Factor Investigations at the sly prompting of Logan; and Toad begging to go, even if it means being the janitor.

On the flip side, most of the scenes involving Scott's recruits were pretty heavy. Of particular note was the one that a lot of people have said they were curious about: Storm. As predicted, she is there to act as something remotely resembling a moral compass, but the scene was a powerful one and it says a lot about how Scott even recognizes where things are going and how far down the Machiavellian path he has ventured. The scene at the end with Emma was especially touching.

The scene with the kids, who are the focal point of this entire split, was nice, if not a little touchy-feely at the end. I feel like the point of that scene played out better in Gillen's other title of the week.

Going concurrently with this was Generation Hope #12, which obviously covers Hope and her team's reaction to the split in greater detail. What struck me the most about this issue was how Gillen dealt with the opposing poles of Scott and Logan without actually having them in the book outside of a couple of pages. What you saw was a bunch of kids all under way too much stress and trying to make sense of a complicated situation. It was funny and profound at the same time.

Schism was awesome and these two epilogues to the miniseries were done quite well.

Advertisement

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 196 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: X-Men Regenesis and Generation Hope #12 (Spoilers Ahoy!)

Postby Zechs » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:26 pm

The Magneto and Rogue scene was surprisingly amusing. You'd think hostility would happen but nope. Just a simple, Rogue going to Logan's side and both of them laughing at the thought of Magneto joining up with Logan's side.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:20 pm

Zechs wrote:The Magneto and Rogue scene was surprisingly amusing. You'd think hostility would happen but nope. Just a simple, Rogue going to Logan's side and both of them laughing at the thought of Magneto joining up with Logan's side.

I agree, though I wonder where that puts their relationship, especially with Gambit going to Westchester as well.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Title: That Guy, Roman.

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:23 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:
I agree, though I wonder where that puts their relationship, especially with Gambit going to Westchester as well.

That very topic is going to be the focal point of an upcoming X-Men Legacy issue.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 425 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:36 pm

I really liked this issue. I'm glad i was pretty right on why Storm was staying with Cyclops.

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:46 pm

e_galston wrote:I really liked this issue. I'm glad i was pretty right on why Storm was staying with Cyclops.

I was really intrigued that it was Scott who begged her to stay... not to watch the other former villains, but to watch him. It was a twist I was not expecting.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 180 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:19 pm

Loved both books. The Iceman scene and the X-Kids scene were my favorites. Now at least we know how Betsy is on both sides.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 75 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:25 pm

avengingtitan wrote:Loved both books. The Iceman scene and the X-Kids scene were my favorites. Now at least we know how Betsy is on both sides.

Details, plz.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:38 pm

GLX wrote:
Details, plz.

She doesn't so much side with Logan as agree to stay on X-Force because she agrees with its overall agenda of permanently removing threats to Mutantkind. In her own words, "We have to go forward. A school's the opposite of that."

She's now going to be Scott's Head of Intelligence.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 209 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:53 pm

Regenesis was better than I expected, I haven't been a fan of Gillen's recent stuff outside of his work on Thor but it was a great bridge to fill in who's siding with who and why.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:31 pm

X-Men: Regenesis – Very strong, and a must-read companion piece to Schism I feel. Gillen did a really good job at showing why each X-Man chose each side, and set up lots of really tantalising bits for the future. I’m particularly interested to see where Psylocke is headed, and even though I’ve never been a big Storm fan, I’m also intrigued about her. Some of the stuff which picked up from books I don’t read like X-Men: Legacy and New Mutants left me a little lost, what’s wrong with Cannonball’s head then? The framing device of Cyclops and Wolverine fighting is a little silly, but it worked well, and grew on me throughout the issue. Reading this issue it really struck me that Cyclops has become possibly the most complex and interesting character in mainstream superhero comics, there’s just so much going on behind that visor. I may prefer Wolverine, but I can’t wait to see what Gillen is going to do with Scott. I haven’t been this excited for the X-Men franchise in ages, well done Messrs Aaron and Gillen, well done.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:31 pm

Generation Hope #12 – It’s a SWORD reunion! Gillen and Sanders back together again! This was a run issue, very similar to Regenesis (hell, it used some of the same pages, and that experiment worked fairly well, both stories needed that scene) but with a bigger focus on the GH gang. I like the idea of Pixie joining the team, and that Gillen has managed to make the events of the brilliant #9 reverberate, because it could easily have been left as a standalone. The scene between Laurie and Rockslide was hilarious and tackled a problem I had with her character, she’s like a teenager, yet Cyclops lets her walk around naked? Inappropriate! Every character got their moment to shine here and it was a fine send-off to Gillen’s run on the book. I’m not sure whether I’ll be continuing with this one, I might drop it to make room for Wolverine & The X-Men, but I’ll give James Asmus at least one issue to win me over.

jeremy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: www.jeremyshane.info
Formerly: xaraan

Postby jeremy » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:09 pm

I thought Regenesis was ok, but it felt like I was reading the last few pages of Schism drawn out over the whole book. Interesting book, but didn't feel like I got much out of it.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand