Advertisement

X-Men Schism #2 (Spoiler Warning)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Liked in: 0 post

X-Men Schism #2 (Spoiler Warning)

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:05 pm

After the strength of the last issue, I was actually a little let down by this one.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
It turns out that the Sentinels that the Kade Kilgore sold are, in fact, purposefully defective and are just as likely to attack humans as they are to even activate properly. This gives Scott the opportunity to send out the X-Men to attempt to undo some of the damage done by Quentin Quire. He does not, however, send out the proverbial A-Team, much to the consternation of Logan, who feels useless and particularly unpleasant.

Speaking of Quire, during a tense conversation between Logan and Scott, Kid Omega returns and officially requests sanctuary on Utopia. Scott gives it to him, even going so far as to lie to Steve Rogers to keep the Avengers at bay while promising both Quire and Logan that he will be given a trial by his fellow Mutants.

Meanwhile, Kade and a group of equally ruthless and rich little kids have made a deal with some interstellar arms dealers for a Badoon brain slug, though for what purpose is not said.

While Logan departs Utopia for a bar to cool off, Scott learns that Mayor Sadie is moving up the opening of a Museum of Mutant History to that very night. Sensing a trap, Scott sends in Emma, Colossus, Magneto, and Namor, while both he and Wolverine watch from their respective positions. Unfortunately, Kade and his Hellfire Team have planed a trap... and Cyclops has walked right into it, it seems.

Now don't get me wrong: the writing here is superb. All of the voices are just right. Heck, even the two or three pages that Quire gets are fan-freaking-tastic. But my gripe is that here we are in a five part miniseries and it feels like so far not a lot has happened. I mean, this whole thing was billed as seeing the split between Logan and Scott (go Team Cyclops, by the way) and so far, we've seen nothing that seems out of the ordinary for their relationship. With only three issues to go, I'm very much concerned that Aaron, for all of his skills, will not be able to wrap things up in a satisfactory manner.

Also, whilst on the subject, the art in this issue was just hideous. Scott looked downright deformed most of the time. It really was an eyesore.

Advertisement

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 139 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Re: X-Men Schism #2 (Spoiler Warning)

Postby GOSD » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:08 pm

Team Wolverine.

I hope Logan gives Scott some sort of permanent scar after this Schism thing is over.

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 433 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:09 pm

Aaron is awesome.

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:13 pm

GOSD wrote:Team Wolverine.

I hope Logan gives Scott some sort of permanent scar after this Schism thing is over.

So instead of a guy who can stop with the stabby-smashy bits long enough to formulate a plan (see also Uncanny X-Men #541 of last week), Mutants should instead side with a guy whose only plan is to stab, stab again, and if that doesn't work, slice and then stab?

BubbaKanoosh wrote:Aaron is awesome.

Indeed he is, but I question whether or not his awesomeness is enough to overwhelm to confines of a five part story that has to this point been all set up.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:16 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:
So instead of a guy who can stop with the stabby-smashy bits long enough to formulate a plan (see also Uncanny X-Men #541 of last week), Mutants should instead side with a guy whose only plan is to stab, stab again, and if that doesn't work, slice and then stab?

Yes.

Flynn the Pirate
OMCTO

Postby Flynn the Pirate » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:18 pm

GOSD wrote:
Yes.

Very well then, sir...

A duel at dawn!

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Postby GOSD » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:46 pm

Flynn the Pirate wrote:
Very well then, sir...

A duel at dawn!

Let's do it! :smt013

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 327 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:33 pm

I liked the issue, wasn't the best, but better than anything done with "a team" of x-men in a while.

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
I liked that Cyclops sent a group of Women to stop the sentinel in the middle east. My biggest issue was how Cho draws Cyclops. Yes i know he's called Slim, so he should be skinny, but he looked like he he hadn't ate in like 3 months. He also seemed to be pretty old, close ups of his face gave him a lot of wrinkles.

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:13 pm

This book has proven to be the exact opposite of what I was expecting, it's like a throwback to the old 90's X-Men cartoon minus the 90's cliches.

Aaron's done it again.

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Zenguru » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:47 pm

Cho's art did look a little rushed here. But that's what happens when he draws on someone else's schedule. Given more time, he woulda thrown in more boobs and butts. Still, he did have time to put in a few funny sight gags. Like Quire's snot rocket.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:19 pm

Really good again, but we still don’t know what exactly Wolverine and Cyclops are going to fight about! Come on! I know we’ve got tensions surfacing over Quentin Quire (who is hilarious by the way), but it’s not enough detail. I just love how well Aaron nails every X-Man’s character down perfectly, and the little touches like sending an all-female strikeforce to Iran. I also like Kade Kilgore, he’s a crazy little bastard. I’m not so sure about his lightsaber wielding friend, but I’m intrigued to see what the hell he’s up too here. But didn’t they look cute in their widdle Hellfire Club outfits? Awwwwww. Frank Cho’s art was as Frank Cho-ey as you’d expect, some excellent Rogue and Emma Frost cleavage on show, and the usual hyper-detail everywhere else that makes the cheesecake acceptable.

Kerny
Review Grouper

Title: All-American American

Postby Kerny » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:43 pm

Digging this a lot. Has Aaron seriously wrote a bad story? At his worst, he's been meh. Definitely my favorite writer currently.

Cho's art was a massive disappointment, but he probably had to rush it. I expected better from him though, guess I've been spoiled in the past by his usual great art

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand