Advertisement

Midnight Shocker: W. Haden Blackman and J. H. Williams III Walk Off Batwoman

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 181 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Re: Midnight Shocker: W. Haden Blackman and J. H. Williams I

Postby Zechs » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:37 pm

How did this turn into Spider-Man? :smt017

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Advertisement

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 62 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:37 pm

Interesting thread.

Spider-Man being married, Superman being married, Barry Allen AND Wally West being married, etc...readers didn't demand that. That was what these companies did, with no input from the readership. The stories would be good or bad based on the content, not their marital status. It's neither restrictive or helpful.

As for Batwoman itself...as always, I feel badly for the readers who don't get to have creators they support finish their run the way they wanted. That's the worst thing, I feel, for how DC does their business.

It's always been that way -- creators don't always stay to finish their planned arcs/runs. I'm not saying this is new. But it's just unfortunate, because in this medium now, you really are bound to series because of decompression and arcs that usually are six issues and usually no less than four. DC...some days, it seems like creators can't get out of there fast enough.

Tough for the fans of these books.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:50 pm

Zechs wrote:....

How did this turn into Spider-Man? :smt017

Fieldy was downing some Lean and shit got crazy.

He's wandering downtown Melbourne in a hoodie.

Hab

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 199 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:38 am

habitual wrote:
Fieldy was downing some Lean and shit got crazy.

He's wandering downtown Melbourne in a hoodie.

Hab

Creepy ass cracker.

Bianco
cheese

Liked in: 79 posts

Postby Bianco » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:32 am

Back to the original problem, if DC wanted to go a certain direction that's fine, but don't tell the creators do whatever you feel right, then agree then at the last second say no you can't do that especially after they already put in the work, the storyline or marriage thing wasn't i big secret to the editor, i'm sure he knew about it a while ago, if your going to do last minute re-writes go work for WWE or something they seem to like those

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:44 am

Damn, the Hollywood Reporter is reporting on this and Drudge is even running it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batwoman-authors-exit-claim-dc-621274

DC Comics' Batwoman is losing its two co-authors.

In a blog post late Wednesday, co-authors J.H. Williams and W. Haden Blackman wrote that they'd be exiting the comic after Issue 26 is released in December, citing creative difficulties with DC.

Batwoman was relaunched in 2010 as a stand-alone series that told a new origin story about female Caped Crusader Kate Kane (aka Batwoman), this time a member of the U.S. Military Academy who was forced to leave after allegations arose that she was gay. Rather than hide her sexual orientation, she opted to leave the academy.

Hab

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 181 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:11 am

habitual wrote:Damn, the Hollywood Reporter is reporting on this and Drudge is even running it.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/batwoman-authors-exit-claim-dc-621274

Hab

The situation is growing that's good, yeeeeeesssss. This will either force DC to reply swiftly to squash this or.. (and hopefully) they don't leading this to just grow larger.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:45 am

fieldy snuts wrote:It's like Bendis is monitoring Twitter to see when his dream collaborators schedules open up :lol:

Based on the reactions on here I take it everyone loved it after Rucka left? Didn't he leave for similar reasons too?

i'm pretty sure Marvel could take anyone they wanted to now... let Lee Didiot and Johns do every book

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 117 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:51 am

habitual wrote:Damn, the Hollywood Reporter is reporting on this and Drudge is even running it.

Hab

I saw on the Yahoo! Homepage.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 78 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:17 am

fieldy snuts wrote:When JMS wrote out the marriage with separation his run was amazing. Then after he brought her back we got stuff like Sins Past, that new Molten Man etc where the marriage was prominent again and the book suffered for it.

The marriage is a detriment in the long term to the Spider books and erasing it was the smartest thing to happen to the books in ages.

In short, a lot of you are wrong and Punchy is right. Deal with it.

:lol:

I just realized that the point I dropped JMS's Spidey-run was about three issues after Peter and MJ got back together.

:lol:

Bianco
cheese

Liked in: 79 posts

Postby Bianco » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:31 am

Hab

I love the comments, political nuts who write comments on these stories are crazier than the IWC and comic people put together.

SporkBot
Post Whore

Liked in: 216 posts
Title: Stupidity Immolator

Postby SporkBot » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:14 am

Bianco wrote:Back to the original problem, if DC wanted to go a certain direction that's fine, but don't tell the creators do whatever you feel right, then agree then at the last second say no you can't do that especially after they already put in the work, the storyline or marriage thing wasn't i big secret to the editor, i'm sure he knew about it a while ago, if your going to do last minute re-writes go work for WWE or something they seem to like those

Indeed. It could be a simple matter that what they intended for Batwoman required (to them, somehow) her to be single. Given all the stories of poor communication within the DC offices, it wouldn't surprise me.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:26 am

The cardinal sin DC is guilty of is the same as usual, they aren't managing their creative talent well.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 78 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:30 am

Going from the original message, it's POSSIBLE that this marriage wasn't intended to be a permanent status quo change, anyway. What did they say was their mission statement?

“No Status Quo.”

Makes you wonder how long a marriage would have lasted with that "unofficial tagline." Because a marriage is sort of... absolutely... a status quo.

Going from there, maybe DC balked at the long term plans of this marriage knowing that internet backlash is a fierce monster of rage? No proof on this, of course. Just thinking while I type. It would also require DC higher ups to understand something like "repercussions" so it's probably got no basis in reality.

Nadine Reading
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 139 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Midnight Shocker: W. Haden Blackman and J. H. Williams III Walk Off Batwoman

Postby Nadine Reading » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:22 pm

Batwoman getting married would lock her into the relationship and makes other writers uncomfortable changing it in future plotlines, but its a relationship all of the fans support so its a stupid move to say no. I have loved Batwoman and will keep up with it till 26, then I see what happened next... I'll drop it if they bring on a writer I think will destroy it or god forbid try to make Kate straight. That has been rumoured before and will have such a backlash DC won't know what hit them.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand