Advertisement

Midnight Shocker: W. Haden Blackman and J. H. Williams III Walk Off Batwoman

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 275 posts

Re: Midnight Shocker: W. Haden Blackman and J. H. Williams I

Postby doombug » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:08 pm

Punchy wrote:
When have I ever claimed to be a writer? :smt102

The very second you made a statement directly correlating to something prohibiting storytelling. :smt011

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:11 pm

Punchy wrote:I seriously think you guys are getting marriage and the concept of 'secure futures' mixed up, it's two different arguments, go back and read the thread.

And if I'm the one that's wrong, why have both Marvel and DC got rid of multiple superhero marriages? It seems like writers agree with me.

You said "Marriage does inhibit storytelling"

That was you.

It flat out does not if you're an actual fucking writer or anyone with an imagination. It's a lame excuse that's basically saying "I can't write this so I'm making up an excuse so I don't have to"

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:16 pm

doombug wrote:You said "Marriage does inhibit storytelling"

That was you.

It flat out does not if you're an actual fucking writer or anyone with an imagination. It's a lame excuse that's basically saying "I can't write this so I'm making up an excuse so I don't have to"

I think it does inhibit stories for some characters, like Spider-Man, who needs to be a bit of a loser, or Superman, where the Lois/Clark/Superman love-triangle is very important, for others, it doesn't. Animal Man works as a married character, especially since writers like Morrison and Lemire aren't afraid to change things.

Are you really saying that the likes of Dan Slott, Mark Waid, Zeb Wells, Grant Morrison and Greg Pak aren't actual writers and don't have any imaginations? Because they have written de-married Spider-Man and Superman.

In the case of Batwoman, I think it will inhibit her story, but then, I don't give a fuck about Batwoman either way.

I think DC want to have the flexibility to maybe change Batwoman's relationship status in the future, and once she's married, they won't be able to do that, because they'd be accused of homophobia, when really, they would just be being realistic, some gay people could divorce.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:16 pm

doombug wrote:
The very second you made a statement directly correlating to something prohibiting storytelling. :smt011

Oh shut up!

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 1 post
Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Postby eltopo » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:18 pm

JH Williams to marvel ?

yes please

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 156 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:18 pm

Punchy wrote:I seriously think you guys are getting marriage and the concept of 'secure futures' mixed up, it's two different arguments, go back and read the thread.

And if I'm the one that's wrong, why have both Marvel and DC got rid of multiple superhero marriages? It seems like writers agree with me.

Writers dont dictate editorial policies.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1169 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Midnight Shocker: Haden and Williams Walk Off Batwoman

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:18 pm

achilles wrote:
But not CBR. I read this hours before...

Actually I think we published ours around the same time as someone posted it in their forums, but their article was posted 5 hours ago, long after ours, which went up before midnight pacific last night.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:19 pm

The Beat was the only other site I saw on top of this right away.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:21 pm

Chris wrote:
Writers dont dictate editorial policies.

Yeah, but at Marvel/DC, some of the higher-ups are also writers. (Quesada a writer/artist)

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:23 pm

Punchy wrote:
Yeah, but at Marvel/DC, some of the higher-ups are also writers. (Quesada a writer/artist)

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:26 pm

Punchy wrote:
I think it does inhibit stories for some characters, like Spider-Man, who needs to be a bit of a loser, or Superman, where the Lois/Clark/Superman love-triangle is very important, for others, it doesn't. Animal Man works as a married character, especially since writers like Morrison and Lemire aren't afraid to change things.

Are you really saying that the likes of Dan Slott, Mark Waid, Zeb Wells, Grant Morrison and Greg Pak aren't actual writers and don't have any imaginations? Because they have written de-married Spider-Man and Superman.

In the case of Batwoman, I think it will inhibit her story, but then, I don't give a fuck about Batwoman either way.

I think DC want to have the flexibility to maybe change Batwoman's relationship status in the future, and once she's married, they won't be able to do that, because they'd be accused of homophobia, when really, they would just be being realistic, some gay people could divorce.

Jesus christ, you're being an idiot.

I would never say that statement about Mark Waid, Dan Slott, Zeb Wells, Grant Morrison or Greg Pak because to my knowledge they all wrote Spider-man before BND as well as after.

It was Quesada's decision and he's an artist not a writer who forced a stupid decision on his writing staff.

Spider-man still absolutely had the "parker luck" while married. It absolutely didn't interfere with the storytelling possibilities directly related to the character. He was married for over 20 years without anyone going "Uh excuse me, I can't write this character right now because he's married"

JMS's entire fan favorite run? the character was married.

Saying that marriage inhibits storytelling is just flat out a dumb statement. :smt102

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 238 posts

Postby dairydead » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:27 pm

I'm so sick of whiny, over-entitled comic book creators. We need to stop stroking their egos, people.

You work for a company, you play by a company's rules. I don't get why its that hard to understand for these pros.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:27 pm

Punchy wrote:

No Quesada is an artist. Other than Mary what else has he helped write? :lol:

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:29 pm

doombug wrote:No Quesada is an artist. Other than Mary what else has he helped write? :lol:

He wrote a well-recieved arc on Iron Man

He wrote Daredevil: Father

He wrote NYX

He's actually written a fair amount.

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 54 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:30 pm

doombug wrote:
Jesus christ, you're being an idiot.

I would never say that statement about Mark Waid, Dan Slott, Zeb Wells, Grant Morrison or Greg Pak because to my knowledge they all wrote Spider-man before BND as well as after.

It was Quesada's decision and he's an artist not a writer who forced a stupid decision on his writing staff.

Spider-man still absolutely had the "parker luck" while married. It absolutely didn't interfere with the storytelling possibilities directly related to the character. He was married for over 20 years without anyone going "Uh excuse me, I can't write this character right now because he's married"

JMS's entire fan favorite run? the character was married.

Saying that marriage inhibits storytelling is just flat out a dumb statement. :smt102

I have said it before I'll say it again.

Marvel should have gone with amicable divorce for Spider-Man.

It would have fit with the Parker luck motif. Had a good marriage to a great lady but his Spider-Man side of life just kept getting in the way. So he lost her.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand