Advertisement

A mixed bag of Marvel questions

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

kingofcities
dINGO

Liked in: 0 post

A mixed bag of Marvel questions

Postby kingofcities » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:08 am

So I was at Wizardworld Chicago and bought a shit-ton of trades for cheap, some of which were Marvel. I don't read any Marvel monthlies at the moment and I only get trades for a couple of the ongoings so I'm pretty well out of the loop for the most part. I figured while they were crazy cheap though I'd try a few things out I had never read before.

Thor HC Vol.1 by JMS and Olivier Coipel. Cover price $20. My price=5 bucks. Although it ends on a cliffhanger I did enjoy this. I hated that Ragnarok crap from a few years back so it was nice to see it start fresh. A bit decompressed but you can tell they are most likely building to a big picture scenario.

- How many issues is this up to?
- Is Coipel still the artist? He's fucking fantastic.
- JMS is still writing, yes?
- Thoughts on this book?

The Mighty Avengers HC Vol.1 by Bendis and Frank Cho. Cover price $20. My price, again, =5 bucks. I have not been a fan of the general overall direction of the 616 the past few years and I lay a lot of that at Bendis' doorstep seeing as most of it all really began with Avengers Disassembled. But I've wanted to check out something by Frank Cho for awhile though and seeing as it was a HC for only $5 I thought what the heck. Man am I glad I did. I realize it was a lot of the stories from the last few years I didn't like that set this up but I gotta admit, this story kicked ass. Over-the-top adrenaline fueled super-hero action with a pretty fun end of the world story. I didn't expect to enjoy it so much. At the beginning I'm like who in the eff is Ares? By the end I'm like hell yeah...ARES! Questions...

- Are Bendis and Cho still on the book?
- How many issues are there?
- Yes, I know it's a comic and requires suspension of disbelief but what the hell is up with Tony Stark's physiology that he can liquify and then turn into a woman?
- How exactly did Sentry's wife not die? I feel like I missed something there.
- Not really important but why is Wonder Man wearing his 80's threads again?

Any thoughts and input here are appreciated. It's been awahile since I had this much fun reading Marvel.

Advertisement

Dugan
Swedish Pinata of Death

Re: A mixed bag of Marvel questions

Postby Dugan » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:45 am

kingofcities wrote:Thor HC Vol.1 by JMS and Olivier Coipel. Cover price $20. My price=5 bucks. Although it ends on a cliffhanger I did enjoy this. I hated that Ragnarok crap from a few years back so it was nice to see it start fresh. A bit decompressed but you can tell they are most likely building to a big picture scenario.

- How many issues is this up to?
- Thoughts on this book?

- Issue ten is out at the end of the month
- He is but there's a Djurdjevic two parter issues 7 and 8.
- He is indeed.
- Slooooooooooow and uneventful but still quite well done and with stunning art.

The Mighty Avengers HC Vol.1 by Bendis and Frank Cho. Cover price $20. My price, again, =5 bucks. I have not been a fan of the general overall direction of the 616 the past few years and I lay a lot of that at Bendis' doorstep seeing as most of it all really began with Avengers Disassembled. But I've wanted to check out something by Frank Cho for awhile though and seeing as it was a HC for only $5 I thought what the heck. Man am I glad I did. I realize it was a lot of the stories from the last few years I didn't like that set this up but I gotta admit, this story kicked ass. Over-the-top adrenaline fueled super-hero action with a pretty fun end of the world story. I didn't expect to enjoy it so much. At the beginning I'm like who in the eff is Ares? By the end I'm like hell yeah...ARES! Questions...

- Yes, I know it's a comic and requires suspension of disbelief but what the hell is up with Tony Stark's physiology that he can liquify and then turn into a woman?

- Bendis still is but Cho was too slow so the next story is by Bagley followed by alternating Maleev and Khoi Pham Secret Invasion tie-ins.
-Issue 16 is out next week.
- Extremis essentially fused his body with technology, Ultron manipulated this technology to transform him.
- The Sentry's powers still aren't enttirely clear, he thinks that he brought her back but some people think it's soemthing more skrully.
- Because he looks damn good in them.

zombiemichaeljackson
rubber spoon

Postby zombiemichaeljackson » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:49 am

kingofcities wrote:- How exactly did Sentry's wife not die? I feel like I missed something there.

Well, I don't read either of those books, although I've heard much better things about Thor than Mighty. I do however, try to at least keep up with what's going on with the Sentry, not because I'm a big fan but because I have a feeling that there is a huge twist coming with him down the pike and I want to see if the pieces fit together. Anyway, long story short, here are two fairly uninformed and half assed answers to two of your questions.

1)Because either a)she's not really alive in the first place and the Sentry keeps recreating her, b) she's actually the power behind the Sentry and is creating HIM, or c)she's a skrull.

2)Because he's a skrull.

:wink:

C20Percent
rubber spoon

Postby C20Percent » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:29 pm

Sentry's Wifey = Total Skrull

kingofcities
dINGO

Postby kingofcities » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:45 pm

twoheads wrote:Well, I don't read either of those books, although I've heard much better things about Thor than Mighty.

I liked Mighty better overall. It was a complete story with a beginning, middle and ending. Bendis did a great job of balancing the talking heads sequences he's known for with insane action. The scale was pretty big and he really just swung for the fences right from the get go. I was indifferent to Carol Danvers going in and knew nothing about Ares but by the end I was a fan of both. I never really cared for The Wasp but I actually liked her in this book. And slow or not I could just look at Cho's art all day.

Thor is a well crafted comic. One of the most beautiful looking books I've seen in awhile. It just happens to be very, very slow. Now seeing as I only paid $5 for the whole book and was able to read five issues in one sitting I didn't mind the pacing so much. If however I had been reading it monthly I would probably have been bored stiff and dropped it. The set-up has been interesting but the story has yet to really get up and go. Also, beyond the initial opening arc I'm having a hard time seeing where JMS can go with it.

kingofcities
dINGO

Postby kingofcities » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:47 pm

And thanks for all the info folks. I need to see if there's a second Mighty trade out...

toolverine
King of Circle-Jerking

Postby toolverine » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:26 pm

Cons are the best for cheap trades. We need more cons around here, dammit.

kingofcities
dINGO

Postby kingofcities » Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:52 pm

toolverine wrote:Cons are the best for cheap trades. We need more cons around here, dammit.

I made such a killing. Probably the best Con yet for this kind of thing. I got the entire The Goon series for 35 bucks. The complete Bone collection, retail 40, for only 15. It was a total steal.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby misac » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:04 pm

kingofcities wrote:

Any thoughts and input here are appreciated. It's been awahile since I had this much fun reading Marvel.

Do yourself a favor and buy the Ares trade by Mike Oeming and Travel Foreman. It is amazing!

The second volume of Mighty Avengers came out last week. Art by Mark Bagley.

I loved Thor, I think JMS is at his best when he takes things slow. Like with Supreme Power. Thinking about this first arc now, it's kind of similar to what's going to happen with the New Gods.

kingofcities
dINGO

Postby kingofcities » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:12 pm

misac wrote:Do yourself a favor and buy the Ares trade by Mike Oeming and Travel Foreman. It is amazing!

The second volume of Mighty Avengers came out last week. Art by Mark Bagley.

Cool. I'll keep my eyes open for these.

john lewis hawk
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: not here

Postby john lewis hawk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:57 pm

kingofcities wrote:Thor HC Vol.1 by JMS and Olivier Coipel. Cover price $20. My price=5 bucks.
God, I hate you....

kingofcities
dINGO

Postby kingofcities » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:25 am

john lewis wrote:God, I hate you....

Heheheheh! It was a thing of beauty. 8)

Chicago had a larger selection of 50%+ off trades this year than any other Con I've ever been to.

Big Dog
Flying Mongoose

Postby Big Dog » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:21 am

kingofcities wrote:- How many issues is this up to?
- Thoughts on this book?

If you liked the Thor regular series you really should pick up the one shots written by Matt Fraction. They are both really well done.

And the two part Djurdjevic story was my favorite of the series so far!

kingofcities
dINGO

Postby kingofcities » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:47 am

Big Dog wrote:If you liked the Thor regular series you really should pick up the one shots written by Matt Fraction. They are both really well done.

One-shots? Are they new or did they come out before the current series?

And the two part Djurdjevic story was my favorite of the series so far!

I've never seen his interiors but his cover art on Thunderbolts and (I think) Blade were terrific.

Big Dog
Flying Mongoose

Postby Big Dog » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:50 am

kingofcities wrote:I've never seen his interiors but his cover art on Thunderbolts and (I think) Blade were terrific.

both are new and came out a few months ago,,,

I thought they were one shots, but after a quick search I see differently!

They're actually part of a 3-part mini series being written by Fraction called:

1) AGES OF THUNDER
2) REIGN OF BLOOD
3) ?

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand