Advertisement

Moon Knight #2 (I'm not real Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Moon Knight #2 (I'm not real Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:05 am

Another awesome issue of this new Moon Knight series. After only 2 issues, this book is starting to remind me of a superheroic version of one of my all-time favourite Warren Ellis books, the brilliant Fell. Ellis and Templesmith keep saying that more Fell is coming, but even if doesn’t, we still have this awesomeness to take it’s place.

The issue begins with a fantastic 8-page opening sequence, where 8 different people are assassinated by an unseen Sniper. The page is divided into an 8-panel grid, and as each person is killed, their panel disappears, leaving a blank space, which is either left empty, or filled with the intriguing narration explaining why this is happening. I love the way the pages just get emptier and emptier, until there’s just one panel left surrounded by white. Such a cool technique, and one I haven’t seen before.

After this, Moon Knight finally swings into action as he tries to take down the Sniper. This fight is pretty much wordless, and it is great stuff. Ellis is really trusting Shalvey to tell a lot of the story here, and he has earned that trust for sure. In this issue, Moon Knight is wearing his more traditional superhero costume, which means that there’s less of the cool technique from last issue where it was left all white, but it’s still there, and whilst it’s weird to praise Jordie Bellaire for colouring she isn’t doing, it looks fantastic. Moon Knight corners the Sniper, who tells the full story, he was a hired mercenary who was left to die in a foreign country, whilst the people who sent him there left that ‘security’ company and got cushy new jobs on Wall Street, so he’s out for revenge.

The issue ends with the Sniper being shot dead by the 9th member of this team, who says that basically, the power has shifted from war and guns… to money. The final line here is ‘the bank always wins’, and man, it’s chilling. This book is unlike anything else out there, and I love it. This issue didn’t really feature Moon Knight at all, he was just there to fight the Sniper, but there are deeper levels. This Sniper was a mercenary who was left to die, before coming back and seeking revenge. That’s pretty much Moon Knight’s origins. Ellis doesn’t outright state the parallels, but they are there, and I don’t think this story will be good for Marc Spector’s mental health.

This book really does make you think, and it’s putting Moon Knight up against different kinds of threats that really do reflect the modern world. And man, is it gorgeous to look at, Shelvey and Bellaire are producing some of the best looking comic art I’ve seen in a long time. If you’re not reading this title, rectify that immediately.

Advertisement

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 72 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Re: Moon Knight #2 (I'm not real Spoilers)

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:19 pm

EXCELLENT REVIEW, Punch!

One thing I'd also like to mention: I think it's fairly clear that Marc Spector's still mentally unbalanced...but that doesn't have to be a negative.

So often in comics, you get the characters like the Joker or Two-Face or Norman Osborn, characters who are not mentally stable and, because of that, commit evil acts.

But why is it that someone who isn't completely sane have to be that?

I think it's interesting that Marc Spector has the history he has, that he was not a great person, that he died doing something good for people he didn't even know, was resurrected and went insane for a period of time.

That doesn't have to be a bad thing -- we have enough Jokers and Green Goblins in comics.

I think having Marc Spector around allows writers who might not feel as great about writing a Steve Rogers or a Peter Parker to really flex their muscles and tell a story about a flawed human being who runs toward people with guns while wearing white...so they see him coming.

He's not completely sane. But that doesn't have to be a horrible thing, and in two issues, I think Warren Ellis has made Marc Spector more interesting -- again, because to me, the character's always had untapped potential -- than many other mainstream characters have been in years and years and years.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 407 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:27 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:EXCELLENT REVIEW, Punch!

One thing I'd also like to mention: I think it's fairly clear that Marc Spector's still mentally unbalanced...but that doesn't have to be a negative.

So often in comics, you get the characters like the Joker or Two-Face or Norman Osborn, characters who are not mentally stable and, because of that, commit evil acts.

But why is it that someone who isn't completely sane have to be that?

I think it's interesting that Marc Spector has the history he has, that he was not a great person, that he died doing something good for people he didn't even know, was resurrected and went insane for a period of time.

That doesn't have to be a bad thing -- we have enough Jokers and Green Goblins in comics.

I think having Marc Spector around allows writers who might not feel as great about writing a Steve Rogers or a Peter Parker to really flex their muscles and tell a story about a flawed human being who runs toward people with guns while wearing white...so they see him coming.

He's not completely sane. But that doesn't have to be a horrible thing, and in two issues, I think Warren Ellis has made Marc Spector more interesting -- again, because to me, the character's always had untapped potential -- than many other mainstream characters have been in years and years and years.

So you're saying his mental illness doesn't have to be a bad thing? Its not a negative? Ok just making sure. :lol:
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 466 posts

Postby Draco x » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:22 am

Good review.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 438 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:21 pm

Punchy wrote:The issue begins with a fantastic 8-page opening sequence, where 8 different people are assassinated by an unseen Sniper. The page is divided into an 8-panel grid, and as each person is killed, their panel disappears, leaving a blank space, which is either left empty, or filled with the intriguing narration explaining why this is happening. I love the way the pages just get emptier and emptier, until there’s just one panel left surrounded by white. Such a cool technique, and one I haven’t seen before.

This opening really stood out for me too. I've loved both issues of this series so far. It's just a great series, even just two issues in.

Thank you Troy for the sig

AngusH
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 53 posts

Postby AngusH » Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:56 pm

I thought the first issue was interesting, having no exposure to Moon Knight before. Issue #2 took it to another level - the writing, but more so the art, especially the layouts. Really good stuff. I like the fact that we've had two one shot stories that are linked, presumably building towards a bigger storyline.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand