Wednesday, May 4, 2016 • Midnight Edition • "Yellow journalism at its finest."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

More Whitewashing from DC in First Contact, Teen Titans (SPOILERS)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor

A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:06 pm

Lets just keep things straight... DC52 sucks... :smt102

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:27 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
It's just like all the times white DC characters are accidentally portrayed as not white due to coloring errors... oh wait...

Hey, which is more likely, that DC have a massive racist agenda, or that they are just bad at colouring?

SporkBot

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby SporkBot » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:43 pm

Ah, the error-free continuity of the New52. So glad we got rid of the old universe, which "literally" had errors in ever page, panel, piece of dialogue, and character toenail.

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:27 pm

Supersoldier Washout wrote:Are Solstice's blue eyes part of the coloring error as well or part of the story in some way?

Maybe she's Winter Solstice now instead of Summer Solstice?

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:29 pm

Punchy wrote:It's a difficult situation this one, because the original version is a pretty dodgy racial stereotype, so why would you want Asians to be represented like that?

Because it is vely vely hiralious

Draco x

biny little tird

Postby Draco x » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:30 pm

I overall wish the Wildstorm characters would go back to their own universe as I have said before.

dairydead

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby dairydead » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:47 pm

Sometimes these articles slip a little too close to the much-mocked Social Justice Warrior crowd on tumblr.

Evan Meadow

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Evan Meadow » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:53 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Since when does continuity matter in the Nu52? And if it is a coloring error (as acknowledged as a possibility in the article), it's still something an editor should be paying attention to.

Damn right the editor should. Just updating to let people know here.

Chessack

dINGO

Postby Chessack » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:32 pm

Kreniigh wrote:What is really the point of borrowing just the name of an old character when you've jettisoned everything else about him? New readers aren't going to get it, and old readers are just going to be frustrated.

Because the powers-that-be at DC think a character is just a name... and perhaps a set of powers. And maybe a little bit of a costume. They think you can change every single thing about a character EXCEPT the name and either powers or appearance, and it's still "the same character."

The readers think differently. But DC has always been pretty clear that they think a character is just a name. Perhaps because the name and likeness are all they can trademark.

TimH

dINGO

Postby TimH » Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:54 pm

Yeah, I really liked Solstice when she was introduced in "DC Old". She had a nice origin--daughter of Indian archaeologists working in Pakistan that could have given her some common ground with Wonder Girl (who also had a nice origin in DC Old as daughter of a single mom college professor).

Sigh.

Now they are both damaged youths with no real back story or identity. Cassie's armor has some weird connection to space alien Cambodian gods. And who knows what the story is with Kiran. Is she even Indian any longer? Pretty soon, there'll be a letterist error and she'll be blue-eyed "Karen". (PS. I dropped Teen Titans around the time it became "Robin Presents").

Considering how fun "Young Justice" (Peter David) was, and what a team adventure "Teen Titans" (Geoff Johns, Sean MacKeever) was, sad to accept what DC Nu did to "Red Robin and the Outsiders (no, literally, because they sure ain't insiders)".

:smt013

Lord Ice

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Lord Ice » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:56 pm

Draco x wrote:I overall wish the Wildstorm characters would go back to their own universe as I have said TRUTH before.

I don't know them, and I don't want to know them. And DC's trying to slap me in the face with them like they were a dead squirrel

Draco x

biny little tird

Postby Draco x » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:04 pm

Lord Ice wrote:
I don't know them, and I don't want to know them. And DC's trying to slap me in the face with them like they were a dead squirrel

That would mostly have to do with Jim Lee apparently being the only person at DC who thinks those characters belong in the DCU and not in their own space.

Chessack

dINGO

Postby Chessack » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:08 pm

TimH wrote:Now they are both damaged youths with no real back story or identity.

Ah yes.

DC loooOOOooves damaged youths with no real backstory or identity. See for reference: New 52 Supergirl.

For homework: Compare the lack of identity/backstory of New 52 Supergirl to (a) Peter David's (1996-2003), and (b) Paul Kupperberg's (1982-1984). Bonus points will be awarded if you can name all the significant supporting characters -- something else DC doesn't do anymore these days.

Nicholas Owens

FACEBOOKTron

Postby Nicholas Owens » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:40 am

DC released Bruce Wayne murderer new printing with missing issues. sounds like a counter-reset

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:14 pm

You're a week behind, Nicholas. DC already had issued a recall and has taken steps to correct it.

leave a comment with facebook