Advertisement

Name The Titles You'd Have

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Liked in: 786 posts
Formerly: /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\

Name The Titles You'd Have

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu May 09, 2013 3:28 pm

Born of this post, I ask you all what titles for DC and Marvel would stay in an "Archie style" marketing... ie reduced line makes for reaching a larger market as it could be afforded all around.

outsider wrote:Years ago at Newsarama's panel at HeroesCon, I asked JoeQ why comics weren't in supermarket checkout lines like Archie. He said they simply couldn't afford it with their broad number of titles whereas Archie has only a few digest titles. I don't like that answer, but at least I got one.

So, do you also think they'd rack in the buck or no?
Should they do this? Perhaps go back to the old 80s bit of having newstand titles and LCS titles?

Let's, for east, go with the Avengers 7 only rule and only list 7 titles for each company.

Personally, I think trying the 80s model might not be a bad idea, given the movies out there, but beyond that, it'd be a money loser what with digital media coming more and more into the norm.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"
"Are you capable of speaking without flapping your hands about?"
""Timey" what? "Timey wimey"?"

IvCNuB4 wrote:The Old Doctor is Cat-Scratch ?
Well that explains a lot :lol:

Advertisement

outsider
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 594 posts
Title: Absent
Formerly: Daddy Longlegs, Max Power

Re: Name The Titles You'd Have

Postby outsider » Thu May 09, 2013 3:42 pm

Hrm. I need to put some thought into this.

*placeholder*
-

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu May 09, 2013 3:45 pm

So far... I am having a hard problem with making a list.

I'm an old fan so I tend to go with the long running stuff.

Superman
Action Comics
Batman
Detective Comics
Justice League
Teen Titans
Green Lantern

Avengers
Iron Man
Thor
Captain America
Amazing Spider-Man
Fantastic Four
Hulk

:smt102

But given the mention of reprints in the other thread... I wonder if that is a better idea and would your list be the same or different? Maybe just anthology titles?

I think reprints could work, if priced right.
"Why are you pointing your screwdrivers like that? They're scientific instruments, not water pistols."
"Oh, the pointing again! They're screwdrivers! What are you going to do? Assemble a cabinet at them?"

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 524 posts
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Thu May 09, 2013 4:19 pm

Waaaay long time ago (was it the 70s or 80s?) Marvel used to put out these digest/small paperback books with different heroes origins and early issues in them. Full color, compact. I read the old stories in those bought from the sundries store. They were awesome.
Image Image Image ImageImage

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 312 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Thu May 09, 2013 5:20 pm

sdsichero wrote:Waaaay long time ago (was it the 70s or 80s?) Marvel used to put out these digest/small paperback books with different heroes origins and early issues in them. Full color, compact. I read the old stories in those bought from the sundries store. They were awesome.

DC also put out digests for a short while, reprinting selected stories. A few of them featured that year's Best Stories.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 568 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu May 09, 2013 5:52 pm

sdsichero wrote:Waaaay long time ago (was it the 70s or 80s?) Marvel used to put out these digest/small paperback books with different heroes origins and early issues in them. Full color, compact. I read the old stories in those bought from the sundries store. They were awesome.

Yeah, when I was a kid, I got some sort of Spider-Man digest with part of a Mysterio story... I think I was stuck somewhere, but I read that think cover to cover SO many times!

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 524 posts
Title: I have no idea…
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Thu May 09, 2013 6:10 pm

HNutz wrote:
Yeah, when I was a kid, I got some sort of Spider-Man digest with part of a Mysterio story... I think I was stuck somewhere, but I read that think cover to cover SO many times!

I had two volumes of Spider-Man and one volume of Doctor Strange. I think there was a Fantastic Four and Cap one too.
Image Image Image ImageImage

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo » Thu May 09, 2013 6:14 pm

Hawkeye
Power Pack
Runaways
All New X-Men
Three rotating slots for "event stories" similar to Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars.

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Thu May 09, 2013 9:09 pm

sdsichero wrote:
I had two volumes of Spider-Man and one volume of Doctor Strange. I think there was a Fantastic Four and Cap one too.

There were three volumes of Spider-Man, sadly only two of Doctor Strange, two of Hulk, one Captain America and one Fantastic Four.
All were published by Pocket Books. There was also one Conan, but that one I never managed to get back then.

DC also had a similar series, yet in black and white, altered artwork and more random. Cheap too. They covered basically 60s stuff of Superboy, Superman, Batman... etc. . The Superboy was great in that it had Wally Wood artwork in it.

The Marvel stuff was superior and basically Masterworks in pb form... except for Cap... that was other stuff. In addition, Pocket Book also reprinted a number of random Marvel story arcs of their comics back in the early 80s. Star Wars stuff, Captain America's John Byrne drawn Baron Blood story arc... and others.

DC did the digests starting in roughly 1979 to about 1984 with Adventure Comics being the final stuff.

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 112 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Thu May 09, 2013 11:10 pm

Reprints would work, if they went with cheaper paper maybe even four color printing.

If I was trying to expose the general masses to DC or Marvel I'd go for team books.

Avengers
Heroes For Hire
World's Finest
X-Men (one of the bajillion)
Batmn/Superman
Teen Titans
Runaways

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 388 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri May 10, 2013 7:14 am

The success of going "Archie digest" style means eliminating the serial aspects. Point of Purchase shoppers aren't going to return even if it's to resolve a cliffhanger.

The Silver Age had plenty of one and dones that could be reprinted but good luck trying to find anything like that in today's regular market of spandex.

So it's either old reprints if you want typical super-heroes, or give the shopping Mom's and Dad's what they think their kids want, the kiddie lines.

Batman Adventures, Superman Adventures, JLI have enough to reprint for a while, but then you're going to need to original material which isn't likely to happen.

In the end, I don't think it's a self sustaining business model anymore.

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 568 posts

Postby HNutz » Fri May 10, 2013 8:09 am

It'd be great if they could reprint 2 or 3 issues at a time, with at least 1 Done-in-one in each digest, for $1-2.

Avengers spotlight - Maybe it's Cap, Iron Man & the Avengers one issue. Then Hulk, Iron Man & the Avengers.Or something like that. Or maybe there's an Avengers digest (with Avengers, WCA, Thunderbolts, etc) and a Solo Avengers digest (some combination of Cap, Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, Black Widow, Hawkeye along with non-movie characters).

X-Men spotlight - Same deal. Probably a lot of Claremont's work featured. Then do a Solo X-Men digest, which will probably have a lot of Wolverine in it.

Spider-Man spotlight
Spider-Man Team Up - Where Spidey has different costars in every issue (at least 1big name, like Cap or Wolverine) OR where the villains team up. Or maybe they combine the spotlight & team up concepts into 1 digest, I dunno.

FF spotlight/team up.

Superman Spotlight
Batman Spotlight
Flash/Green Lantern Spotlight/Team Up
Wonder Woman Spotlight/Team Up
Green Arrow Spotlight/Team Up
Justice League Spotlight

I like the suggestion of using the comics based off of Batman TAS, JLU, Batman Beyond and other cartoon tie ins.

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 8 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Postby MistaT » Fri May 10, 2013 7:01 pm

Scrolling down a little to quickly and I misread this as "Name the titties you have" :oops:

(Beth & Susie)

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri May 10, 2013 7:09 pm

MistaT wrote:Scrolling down a little to quickly and I misread this as "Name the titties you have" :oops:

(Beth & Susie)

:lol:

The Old Doctor
A Damn Cuddly Beast

Postby The Old Doctor » Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Amoebas wrote:The success of going "Archie digest" style means eliminating the serial aspects. Point of Purchase shoppers aren't going to return even if it's to resolve a cliffhanger.

The Silver Age had plenty of one and dones that could be reprinted but good luck trying to find anything like that in today's regular market of spandex.

So it's either old reprints if you want typical super-heroes, or give the shopping Mom's and Dad's what they think their kids want, the kiddie lines.

Batman Adventures, Superman Adventures, JLI have enough to reprint for a while, but then you're going to need to original material which isn't likely to happen.

In the end, I don't think it's a self sustaining business model anymore.

The thing is, Archie is surviving with that model. For the big two, this could be worth it if it at least creates an interest in the main product.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand