Advertisement

Never Trust a Snake: Forever Evil #7 Gets One Dollar Price Hike

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 203 posts

Postby LOLtron » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:59 pm

After releasing the comic two months late and spoiling its ending in other books, DC will charge an extra dollar for the Forever Evil conclusion.

Source: Bleeding Cool

The comics world was shocked today when Bleeding Cool rumormonger Rich Johnston revealed that Forever Evil #7, the long-awaited, already spoiled conclusion to the super-mega-crossover event, would see a one dollar price hike from its solicited price, going from $3.99 to $4.99 (or $5.99 for the digital combo pack). DC Comics? Engage in price gouging to squeeze an extra buck out of fans who are pretty much locked into buying the last issue of the book at this point? How could this happen?!

The Outhouse asked an old Native American witch doctor to explain it:

In case you're still having trouble, let's hear it from Jake the Snake:

Do you get the picture now? It's not shocking that DC would gouge the price on the last issue of this series at the last minute. They've made it clear for the last several years that they hold their readers in contempt. DC considers having to deal with their customers to be the worst part of the comic book business. Why wouldn't they make you pay more to read the conclusion to a book you already know the ending of two months late?

NEVER TRUST A SNAKE!

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 94 posts

Re: Never Trust a Snake: Forever Evil #7 Gets One Dollar Pri

Postby Lord Ice » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:17 pm

Those books without pictures thing that people make nowadays sounds pretty good lately. :smt005

Chessack
cheese

Liked in: 313 posts
Title: Kara Zor-El's biggest fan

Postby Chessack » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:02 pm

... and Chessack eyes the counter reset button....

Mr. Log likes this post.

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 101 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:34 pm

Didn't Marvel do this with their last event?

I can't even remember what it was called now. :lol:

Or how about the next few issues of Hawkeye that are now $3.99 despite being solicited at $2.99.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 191 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:44 pm

oogy wrote:Or how about the next few issues of Hawkeye that are now $3.99 despite being solicited at $2.99.

Yep. Marvel does the same shit.

It is more fun to pick on DC though. :D

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 143 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:13 pm

oogy wrote:Didn't Marvel do this with their last event?

I can't even remember what it was called now. :lol:

Or how about the next few issues of Hawkeye that are now $3.99 despite being solicited at $2.99.

Are we paying late fees for Aja? :roll:

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 463 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:14 pm

Is the page count increased? That would be a little odd, since we're waiting on the art, but they could have gotten fill-ins...

Regardless, I could see them charging more and adding more pages.

It still kinda sucks, but at least there would be a (flimsy) reason for it.

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 183 posts

Postby TimH » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:16 pm

Heh.

Page count increase.

"Hot dang! When we proofread the script six months ago, we overlooked four pages! Who was the dope who printed it out double-sided?"

Johns: You don't understand. It's the depth of the content. We needed four more pages to draw out Owlman's hidden depths and all the other subplots that vanished beneath the 20-page fight scenes and got pushed to issues 6 and 7.

heh.

Let me guess, DC's two new weekly series will both be written by JM Stracynski and drawn by David Finch...

RoosterHardwood
Bron-Yur Stomper

Liked in: 33 posts
Title: Cock of the Walk

Postby RoosterHardwood » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:32 am

TimH wrote:Let me guess, DC's two new weekly series will both be written by JM Stracynski and drawn by David Finch...

As long as they involve Superman taking a long stroll for no adequately explored reason, I'll be there.

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:07 am

TimH wrote:Johns: You don't understand. It's the depth of the content. We needed four more pages to draw out Owlman's hidden depths and all the other subplots that vanished beneath the 20-page fight scenes and got pushed to issues 6 and 7.

To be fair, this actually can happen. At least, it's happened to me.

I've been working on making my own comic book. I do the script, and then create the pictures using 3D modeling programs like DAZ Studio and Blender. Yeah, it's not perfect, but anyway...

I've now completed two scripts. Both scripts had outlined plots that I intended to into make the "standard" 21-page stories. Both times, the script got away from me. I had too much dialogue to fit into those pages (unless I had whole panels just full of dialogue) and most importantly, the crosstalk, when I started shooting pictures, did not look right in a single panel. So I had to re-adjust the script and the layouts both times, and came up with 24 and 26 pages. So it CAN happen, and I can understand how, in a commercial comic (which mine is NOT), where pages are being physically printed (again NOT true for me), they could have to jack up the price to make the cost back up.

However, we all know that this is not the case with Forever Evil. My extra six pages were 5-6 panels each and full of story (extra backstory, in fact). When Johns and Co. add 4 or 5 more pages, it's two double-page splashes and a single page splash, just more action shots... which probably could have been done in a single 3-panel page. So yeah... not buying the whole "we had too much story" angle from these guys.

TimH
cheese

Liked in: 183 posts

Postby TimH » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:08 pm

Chessack wrote:However, we all know that this is not the case with Forever Evil. My extra six pages were 5-6 panels each and full of story (extra backstory, in fact). When Johns and Co. add 4 or 5 more pages, it's two double-page splashes and a single page splash, just more action shots... which probably could have been done in a single 3-panel page. So yeah... not buying the whole "we had too much story" angle from these guys.

Yeah, Forever Evil... not that beefy...

Geoff Johns: Oh lordy! I overran my page count but can't decide which random fight scene to remove. The six page scene of repartee between Atomica and Evil Flash, or the six page scene of repartee between Atomica, Evil Flash, and Captain Cold? Or the three issue repartee between Black Adam and Power Ring?

Oh crap! I completely forgot that Superwoman is pregnant with Ultraman's child. Aw hell. Gotta add another scene with Evil Flash... maybe a flash back to when he was just learning to be evil.
==============================================================

But, seriously, Chessak, on the script revising, you just have to ask yourself tough questions and prune out what absolutely doesn't need to be there. If there's a lot of cross talk, pick the best cross talk, the talk that moves the story or reveals a crucial character trait, and chop the rest. Editing is the hardest task for a writer. You have to be merciless with yourself. A lot of stuff is more redundant than you realize. Especially back story. 90% of backstory--the sort the provides interesting trivia not otherwise told--is the hardest for the writer to detect, but the most superfluous.

If you aren't planning to be the artist, don't waste time modeling the panels with 3D modeling software--unless you can do it really fast. For best results, just sketch with stick figures that you can lay down fast. If you aren't an artist, a real-artist is going to know better how to layout the scenes anyway. But, besides, you can do a lot of perfectly acceptable layouts with sketchy stick figures.

Even better, teach yourself to draw and do the whole thing yourself. :groucho: It'll take forever, but you'll get better. I mean, 3D modeling software--that takes time, right? Just dive in and quickly sketch a panel on a note card. Then scan the notecard onto your computer. You can then lay out the text around the stick figures, if that is your goal.

Chessack
cheese

Postby Chessack » Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:54 am

TimH wrote:But, seriously, Chessak, on the script revising, you just have to ask yourself tough questions and prune out what absolutely doesn't need to be there. If there's a lot of cross talk, pick the best cross talk, the talk that moves the story or reveals a crucial character trait, and chop the rest. Editing is the hardest task for a writer. You have to be merciless with yourself. A lot of stuff is more redundant than you realize. Especially back story. 90% of backstory--the sort the provides interesting trivia not otherwise told--is the hardest for the writer to detect, but the most superfluous.

I teach technical writing, so I know all about revising, and particularly pruning. The story that went 4 pages over? That's after I completely cut TWO scenes and pruned down two more.

But see, it's my own electronic comic, and it costs me nothing whatsoever to have a longer issue. I tried to do what I thought worked in the scene to reveal character.

Part of the problem with the first issue was just my lack of sense of how many words can fit into the word balloons in particular panels. I hadn't really done this before (all my previous writing was in plain prose). So it is a learning experience.

If you aren't planning to be the artist, don't waste time modeling the panels with 3D modeling software--unless you can do it really fast.

I'm the artist, but I can't draw, especially the human figure, so that is why I use 3D modeling programs.

Even better, teach yourself to draw and do the whole thing yourself. It'll take forever, but you'll get better. I mean, 3D modeling software--that takes time, right? Just dive in and quickly sketch a panel on a note card. Then scan the notecard onto your computer. You can then lay out the text around the stick figures, if that is your goal.

I will never be able to draw well enough to satisfy myself... at least not in a reasonable time frame. With the 3D software, I was able to produce usable renders (not perfect, by any means, especially in terms of lighting, but usable). My profile picture of Supergirl is an example of what I can do at this point. Although far from perfect, to me this is good enough to tell the story I want to tell (for the most part).

I'm still learning, but I enjoy the control that comes from doing both the story and the art. And since there is no good reason to cleave to exactly 21 pages (just because "that's what DC and Marvel do" is really not), inflating the story a couple of pages to get it where I want it to go is fine with me.

Additionally at this point, I don't have a real sense from a plot exactly how many pages it will take to convey the story yet. That will come with time, I think. For instance, screenwriters know roughly how many pages of script = how many minutes of film. What's the conversion rate for pages of script to pages of comic? I dunno yet... and it will depend on my scripting style. So again, it's a learning experience.

My main point was, I can see how the script could have gotten away from Johns a little. How his plot might have called for some events he thought he could do in 21 pages, and it took 27. I can sympathize. It's the finale, so he doesn't want to short-change it. But I don't think that's true, because Johns is known for writing meaningless splash-page scenes that don't really even have anything particular to do with the story ("I won't stop until Batman is dead!" for example), but are just there for shock-and-awe. So I predict that the extra pages are just shock-and-awe double page spreads, not anything NEEDED in the comic.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand