Advertisement

New Avengers #27 (Doctorate in self-loathing Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 54 posts
Title: Shitlord

New Avengers #27 (Doctorate in self-loathing Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:39 pm

This was an issue of two halves. The first one was the final chapter in the story of Fongji, the Phoenix/Iron Fist from the past, where we see whether or not she manages to control the Phoenix, which, hey, she does. The second half took place in the present, with Iron Fist and Yu-Ti trying to teach Hope to do the same thing as Fongji. It was a lot of fun seeing the differences between the two characters, they may look the same, but they aren’t. The scene where Hope keeps messing with the ‘Scrying Vessel of Bo-Ling’ was great. Because of the aforementioned ‘Scrying Vessel’, Yu-Ti realises that Hope doesn’t need to be trained to be Iron Fist, but by ‘the Spider’. I initially thought this meant one of the other Immortal Weapons, Bride Of Nine Spiders, but it actually meant Spider-Man, which makes sense, he was on the cover after all, I just had a brainfart. This leads to a very fun scene where not only is Spidey hilarious, but he also teaches Hope his most important lesson, the old great power great responsibility spiel. Yes, it’s old hat, but it remains surprisingly profound. As Spider-Man himself says, you could spend along time thinking of something better, but you just can’t. It still blows my mind that Stan Lee came up with that line on a whim, and it’s come to define not just Spider-Man, but almost the entire Marvel line.

Advertisement

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand