Advertisement

New Avengers #16 (Everything lives Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 478 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Re: New Avengers #16 (Everything lives Spoilers)

Postby Amoebas » Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:55 pm

chap22 wrote:No it's not. It's a time-travel story. Clearly Future Havok is gonna find a way to fix it all so that it never actually blew up. This is 101.

Maybe he could go back in time and kill Hank Pym.

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:05 pm

Amoebas wrote:Maybe he could go back in time and kill Hank Pym.

:lol:

seriously, man, i'm starting to worry about you. I fear you need more fiber in your diet. :wink:
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 165 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:10 pm

Chesscub wrote:
I'd love it if Marvel had published blank books one month. "Earth ended. See Uncanny Avengers 17 to find out why." :lol:

Or they could publish one blank page in every book one month to get that point across :wink:

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:20 pm

chap22 wrote:I would like to read about the actual Avengers in an Avengers book, but maybe that's just me

It's an Avengers book because Marvel says it's an Avengers book. You know they're Avengers, because they're in a book called "Avengers." :P

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Johnny Smith » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:57 pm

The main reason to keep reading this book is that Brevoort has declared that "New Avengers" is the most crucial book to what is to come to the MU that Marvel is publishing right now.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=49540

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 155 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:21 pm

chap22 wrote:The turnaround in FF is honestly the only reason I'm still reading these two books at the moment, because I admittedly was one of the loud FF complainers as it was going on. But even then, at the height of my displeasure with FF, I still enjoyed that more than I am this Avengers stuff. It's just SO MUCH vaguely defined or explained pseudo-science and frankly nondescript "villains" that I just don't care about, in the midst of just too much alternate universe gobbledygook. I would like to read about the actual Avengers in an Avengers book, but maybe that's just me

I'm starting to suspect that the Mapmakers and Black Priests are so similar because they both evolved from the Adaptoids that escaped into the Multiverse at the end of Avengers. #27

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 409 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:33 pm

Amoebas wrote:The Illuminutti use big words to announce they're going to watch a TV show. Then they watch the TV show.

That's all that happened in this issue. Seriously, this issue in the old days would have been a page or two at most.

Agreed, this issue seemed pretty pointless.

Thank you Troy for the sig

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:15 pm

Didn't this group of JLA analogs stop two incursions?

That could end up being a big deal as far as the storyline goes, which is pretty typical of Hickman's general economic style.

Hab

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:32 pm

habitual wrote:Didn't this group of JLA analogs stop two incursions?

That could end up being a big deal as far as the storyline goes, which is pretty typical of Hickman's general economic style.

Hab

True, but it's debatable when it comes to whether or not he needed an entire issue to introduce them. This issue came across as decompression at its worst.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:40 pm

Like I said earlier, he has a very economic storytelling style, or at least he did after his FF run, everything meant something.

It's hard for me to see Hickman as a decompression guy at all, especially after reading some of his other works like East of West and The Manhattan Projects.

Hab

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:55 pm

habitual wrote:Like I said earlier, he has a very economic storytelling style, or at least he did after his FF run, everything meant something.

It's hard for me to see Hickman as a decompression guy at all, especially after reading some of his other works like East of West and The Manhattan Projects.

Hab

This issue came across to me as just that. The introduction to these characters could have been compressed to a couple of pages, there was really that little information given to the reader. I still like what he's doing overall with this series, but this particular issue seemed like a waste.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 155 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:35 pm

habitual wrote:Didn't this group of JLA analogs stop two incursions?

Hab

Yeah, it looks like these guys are going to be the center of the Illuminati's attention for the next few issues.

The past few issues have seen a lot of setup, true. As usual, it will probably read better as a complete work.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:51 am

Stephen Day wrote:
This issue came across to me as just that. The introduction to these characters could have been compressed to a couple of pages, there was really that little information given to the reader. I still like what he's doing overall with this series, but this particular issue seemed like a waste.

Ok I just reread this and I don't think you could be more wrong :D

I think what's going to be pivotal in this issue is what we saw the Norn do to the anchor planet, especially in light of the events we see in NA #14 with the steps that Dr. Strange takes at the Resolute Throne in the Lost Lands to empower himself to do the same thing.

Another detail is that whatever it is exactly the Norn does to the anchor planet can't be done by one person, it makes me think that whatever Strange, Doom will also be involved in somehow, but, that's just speculation on my part.

A smaller detail is that the Sun-God's speech is almost point for point a counter to the one we see Reed giving at the beginning of each issue.

After the reread I really don't think that there would be too many different ways that Hickman could get the same amount of information across as effectively. I think each panel is going to be significant to future events.

So nyah on your decompression talk :twisted:

Hab

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 478 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:04 am

habitual wrote:
Ok I just reread this and I don't think you could be more wrong :D

I think what's going to be pivotal in this issue is what we saw the Norn do to the anchor planet, especially in light of the events we see in NA #14 with the steps that Dr. Strange takes at the Resolute Throne in the Lost Lands to empower himself to do the same thing.

Another detail is that whatever it is exactly the Norn does to the anchor planet can't be done by one person, it makes me think that whatever Strange, Doom will also be involved in somehow, but, that's just speculation on my part.

A smaller detail is that the Sun-God's speech is almost point for point a counter to the one we see Reed giving at the beginning of each issue.

After the reread I really don't think that there would be too many different ways that Hickman could get the same amount of information across as effectively.

Except, you know, what you just did in 3 sentences that Hickman spent 20+ pages on. :-D
Last edited by Amoebas on Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:13 am

Amoebas wrote:Except, you know, what you just did in 23 sentences that Hickman spent 20+ pages on. :-D

Yes, but, my overall point that there still was not a panel that was for fluff in either NA#14 or 16. There are even some threads in there that go all the way back to Doom War.

Hickman is complex, that I'll concede, but, there is absolutely no fluff/decompression.

Hab

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand